John deere 425 starter issues

/ John deere 425 starter issues #1  

weeder

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 425 lawn tractor
Hi everyone, I think the starter in the 425 is going out, do I have to pull the engine to replace it? How can a person check the starter to see if it is the starter? Now it is mowing season so it figures something like this would happen! Ok I will sit back and wait for replys!!!!

/ John deere 425 starter issues #2  
Maybe a better description of what the problem seems to be with the starter.. not much to go on so far.

/ John deere 425 starter issues
Maybe a better description of what the problem seems to be with the starter.. not much to go on so far.

Well when you turn the key to start the solenoid on the starter seems to not engage and then it does? Now after it has warmed upped the starter engages like it should. I saw a little smoke coming off the end of the solenoid on the starter today. I hope this helps!

Ok I will ask this....Has anybody changed a starter out in a 425 garden tractor? If so how did you do it? Thanks Weeder!!!!

/ John deere 425 starter issues #5  
That smoke could be coming from a poor connection, I think there are fusible links down on the starter solenoid that provide power for the rest of the tractor.

/ John deere 425 starter issues #6  
I'll ask.. have you tried to remove it?

Before I replied, I went to the shed and popped the hood.. took a few pics.
Looks to me that removal would not require removing the engine from the tractor. Two bolts shown with red arrow.
May need to remove a few things to get at the starter, but that routine just becomes part of it.

Attachments

• 100_3481.JPG
    100_3481.JPG
    458.8 KB · Views: 4,670
That smoke could be coming from a poor connection, I think there are fusible links down on the starter solenoid that provide power for the rest of the tractor.

I have checked all of those and they are in good shape

I'll ask.. have you tried to remove it?

Before I replied, I went to the shed and popped the hood.. took a few pics.
Looks to me that removal would not require removing the engine from the tractor. Two bolts shown with red arrow.
May need to remove a few things to get at the starter, but that routine just becomes part of it.

That is very helpful I thank you very much!!!!

/ John deere 425 starter issues #9  
I saw a little smoke coming off the end of the solenoid on the starter today.

Well there's the problem. Everybody knows that electrical stuff operates on smoke. When the smoke leaks out, it stops working.

:)

/ John deere 425 starter issues #10  
Hi everyone, I think the starter in the 425 is going out, do I have to pull the engine to replace it? How can a person check the starter to see if it is the starter? Now it is mowing season so it figures something like this would happen! Ok I will sit back and wait for replys!!!!

I have had the starter off my 425 many times. Don't enjoy the job but I found if you remove the coil it's easier to get to the bolts. Since this is a Japanese engine they are probably metric I used a box end wrench and you only can move it a fraction of a turn. It takes some to get the bolts (2) out. It takes a little twisting to get the starter out of the housing. I took my starter to repair shop and he checked it out and cleaned it. So after all the time it takes to remove and install the starter still acted the same. removed it again and took it back and he put a new bendex drive in it which he should have in the first place. It now works fine.