John Deere 4300 Shaking When Engaging HST (forward or reverse)

/ John Deere 4300 Shaking When Engaging HST (forward or reverse) #1  

Kinjun

Tractor
John Deere 4300 HST
Note: I initially posted this in a general forum. A member recommended I post to this forum instead. Not sure how to delete my prior form. Apologies for the poor form.

Also, I'm currently in the process of replacing the tensioner for the pedal assembly. It was stuck in the "compressed" position. Another poster recommended that I replace the fluids, filters and screen. I'm beginning that activity today.

---------

First time poster here. Glad to join the community.

I have a John Deere 4300 HST that came with a house we purchased earlier this year (February of 2021). It has about 2700 hours on it and I spend approximately 8 hours a week working on it as something "else" happens (little stuff so far, like losing pins in the pedal assembly, etc..). This past week we had our first snowfall. I used the tractor and the snow blower attachment it came with. Worked well. I went out to use the tractor earlier this week to blow more snow. It starts fine and idles well. When I press the HST pedals (forward or reverse) the Tractor tractor shakes violently (vibrations are below the pedals) and creeps slowly in the direction I'm pressing. I contacted the prior owner and asked if he's had this problem before. He responded with the action to cover the tractor with a tarp and let it "warm up" for 30 mins. I tried the warming up for 30 minutes last night to no avail. I'm now using the tarp method he recommended. I'll followup with wether it worked or not.

I searched for a few days on these and other forums. I can't find any reference to the issue I'm experiencing. Many hits come up with break linkage checks for stuck breaks and such. Hoping someone might have experience with this particular issue and can help point me in the right direction.

Advanced apologies if I'm posting in the wrong area. Happy to adjust.

Thank you.

/ John Deere 4300 Shaking When Engaging HST (forward or reverse) #2  
What temps are you storing the 4300? I take it not in a garage or shed.

Suspect water freezing, but don't know your location or if you have such temps (per suggestion that you tarp it to get it warmed up).

Add some more info for us.

You have a good tractor.. but maintenance to this point may be your problem. Hopefully correctable easily. Fluid and filter change may clear up oil flow without any ice headaches).

Go looking for a service tech manual for your 4300.

Welcome to TBN. This is a good place to be with tractor problems.
No apologies needed, and look forward to getting you fixed up.

/ John Deere 4300 Shaking When Engaging HST (forward or reverse) #3  
Funny, I do the same thing in the cold
Shake and move slow!

good luck op
Will be following let us know what u find
I’d wait for a warm day and try again?
Also curious as to temps

/ John Deere 4300 Shaking When Engaging HST (forward or reverse)
Update:

I moved the tractor into a heated shop. Temps are 65 - 70 degrees. After sitting for a few days, the same behavior occurred. Although, it was a bit more mild. I’ll attempt to post the video of the behavior here:

Since then, I followed the recommended steps mentioned. I went ahead and did a complete fluid change, both the transmission and engine. I also replaced the dampener and the brake springs (one was missing, so I went ahead and took care of it. The shaking and noise is gone! The issue was resolved following the fluid change. Much appreciation for all of the help.

As I've put things back together, I'm now experiencing some lurching. The pedals stick at times and will bounce between forward and reverse for a few seconds. It literally feels like you're riding a bull. Can't be good, so I'm looking into that issue today. I think I put something together wrong. I'm now researching postings about "stuck pedals", "creep" and linkage assembly.

I'll keep you posted.

/ John Deere 4300 Shaking When Engaging HST (forward or reverse) #5  
And the complete fluid change included cleaning the screen?

Sounds like you are getting to the problem with what has been done so far.

/ John Deere 4300 Shaking When Engaging HST (forward or reverse)
Yes, cleaned the screen as well.

/ John Deere 4300 Shaking When Engaging HST (forward or reverse) #7  
Good work
Keep us in loop

/ John Deere 4300 Shaking When Engaging HST (forward or reverse) #8  
In the video when you are pressing the forward pedal it looks like the reverse pedal is depressed to the floor?? Sounds like the Hydro static flow is trying to do forward and reverse at the same time. With the tractor off do both pedal depress and come back up completely?
The park brake is released for sure? What year is the 4300 I see it has the hand brake on the left. My 2001 4300 has the park brake on the center console below the key.

/ John Deere 4300 Shaking When Engaging HST (forward or reverse) #9  
Let me guess, your hydro fluid looked like coffee and cream?

/ John Deere 4300 Shaking When Engaging HST (forward or reverse) #10  
The shudder should go away if your run the tractor at a higher RPM. This is because right now at a low RPM your hydraulic charge pump isn't pumping enough fluid to the transmission. When you press it rapidly all the way down the squash plates are opening fully and there's not enough fluid going through. The lack of charge pressure will cause bucking as you mentioned.

Also as Footer said check the linkage and make sure return the pedals are returning properly.

Hydro transmissions and low rpms typically don't play well together. I typically just keep my 4400 hydro at PTO rpms.