John Deere 4310 Flywheel Timing Marks & Pointer

/ John Deere 4310 Flywheel Timing Marks & Pointer #1  

stewardship

Aloha Folks!

I am performing a valve clearance adjustment on a 2004 John Deere 4310 w/ eHydro and the Yanmar 3TNE84-EJT43 engine. The shop manual says "Locate the inspection hole in right side of the transmission tunnel. The flywheel can be seen inside the inspection hole. Align the number one TDC mark on the flywheel with the pointer on the tunnel."

Problem is... the inspection hole is on the left side and I have searched for hours for the pointer. I removed the bottom cover and every other access point but, no pointer.

The photo attaching process is a bit byzantine, so I hope you can view the relevant photos that I attached. The thumbnails are in reverse order.

In the "Right Side Inspection Hole" photo, you can see the right side of the transmission tunnel. There is an inspection hole but it is ~ 6" aft of the flywheel. The hole where the brake rod goes through is by the flywheel but no pointer can be seen through that hole.

In In the "Left Side Flywheel Inspection Hole" photo, you can see the left side of the transmission tunnel. There is a nice big inspection hole right above the flywheel, but no pointer that I can find.

The "Flywheel & Marks from Below" photo shows the flywheel and timing marks, from below, with the bottom cover removed. Again, no pointer.

Help, please!

Attachments

• Flywheel & Marks from Below.jpg
    Flywheel & Marks from Below.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 134
  • Left Side Flywheel Inspection Hole.jpg
    Left Side Flywheel Inspection Hole.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 286
  • Right Side Inspection Hole.jpg
    Right Side Inspection Hole.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 269
   / John Deere 4310 Flywheel Timing Marks & Pointer #2  
I marked up your second photo to identify where the timing hole is likely located. Under the rubber plug.

I have found it much more productive to rely on Yanmar's info for routine engine maintenance.

The instructions I have provided are for another 3 cylinder engine but manufacturers tend to have the same procedures for all similar engines.

If you cannot find the pointer you have a couple of options.

1. Watch the intake and exhaust valves for cylinder #1 as you rotate the engine in the correct direction. You should watch for the intake valve to open, then close, next is the firing stroke during which no valve will move then the exhaust stroke where the exhaust valve opens. You will see this pattern of valve movement repeat. It is not hard to judge when both valves are closed which is the time when you are approaching TDC.

2. Remove an injector and probe for the top of the piston with a soft wire. Copper is suggested. You should be able to feel the piston rise and fall. When it reaches the maximum rise and when both valves are closed you are at TDC.

Dave M7040

Attachments

• Forum Yanmar.pdf
    90.5 KB · Views: 87
  • Forum Yanmar 2.jpg
    Forum Yanmar 2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 310
Last edited:
   / John Deere 4310 Flywheel Timing Marks & Pointer #3  
Do you have a loader? I also struggled for hours. Using your post it got me looking a bit harder. Found it under the loader arm mounting post