John Deere 830 Crankshaft

/ John Deere 830 Crankshaft #1  

SandburRanch

Veteran Member
Tractor
NHtd75
This 830 is a non-running tractor. There is history of one in my area that broke the crankshaft long time ago and due to the expense it was never repaired. This tractor is to be auctioned and so my question. What would be a reliable way to determine if the crank in this tractor is broken or not broken. Ease of determining would be a plus also.

This 830 has a pony motor and I haven't been at the location to record a serial No.

Attachments

• s4-21-11fyf53.JPG
    s4-21-11fyf53.JPG
    279.9 KB · Views: 1,442
   / John Deere 830 Crankshaft #2  
Are you interested in the tractor as a collector of old iron or to use it as a working tractor? I would consider it a parts tractor and if interested would bid accordingly.

/ John Deere 830 Crankshaft #3  
I think the big item would be the condition of the pony motor. I think I've heard they are scarce as hens teeth, but the crank may not be that hard to find. A shame to see the old gal hiding in that brush like that.

/ John Deere 830 Crankshaft #4  
Gosh, the body and sheet metal looks to be (from this side, anyways) in very good shape! What a shame...to leave the old girl rusting in the weeds!

3X here on jenkinsph and beenthere's comments. Buy it as a junker and you won't be out as much and if it turns out to a "diamond in the rough" - all the better!

The pony motors are getting harder to find parts and repairs for. But, you might just be able to convert it over to electric start, too.

Great little magazine published in Nebraska that really centers on the old, 2-cylinder Deere's - Green Magazine; (imagine that!) Good resource for parts, refurbished components and ideas from owner's on repairs and restoration.

AKfish

/ John Deere 830 Crankshaft #5  
Wanted to suggest something if you manage to inspect the tractor before the auction.

Many of the JD 2-cylinder's had compression relief "petcocks" near the top of the cylinder jacket. These would help you to turn the engine over by hand using the flywheel if you check for a broken crankshaft.

However, if the pistons are "stuck" - you won't be able to check for a broken crank anyway - compression release or not.

AKfish

/ John Deere 830 Crankshaft #6  
Try Mcgrew tractor parts in Indiana I have had great luck with finding two cyl JD parts talk to Rich 866-521-9515 good luck at the auction

/ John Deere 830 Crankshaft #7  
getting parts for that won't be hard, including the pony motor, as long as you are willing to spend some $$. You will often spend twice worth it is worth to do it right, but then who cares. I probably spent more money on the paint for my 48 B than the entire tractor was worth, but it looks good!

Wayne

/ John Deere 830 Crankshaft
This 830 is a non-running tractor. There is history of one in my area that broke the crankshaft long time ago and due to the expense it was never repaired. This tractor is to be auctioned and so my question. What would be a reliable way to determine if the crank in this tractor is broken or not broken. Ease of determining would be a plus also.

This 830 has a pony motor and I haven't been at the location to record a serial No.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
It was announced at the auction a mechanic was hired to evaluate the engine and it did rotate. That's all the information given. Tractor sold for $6,600.

/ John Deere 830 Crankshaft #9  
Let me know if it becomes available.:D:thumbsup: Is it a black dash or green dash?

/ John Deere 830 Crankshaft #10  
getting parts for that won't be hard, including the pony motor, as long as you are willing to spend some $$. You will often spend twice worth it is worth to do it right, but then who cares. I probably spent more money on the paint for my 48 B than the entire tractor was worth, but it looks good!

Wayne

Apparently you haven't tried to get parts for an 830. Many "common" parts are no longer available for those big fellows. We have been fortunate to keep ours in shape with some ingenuity.:thumbsup:
Sandbur,
What ever you do, DO NOT try to turn this tractor over using a 12v battery. This machine should be 6v positive gound. The coils on the pony will not tolerate 12v. You WILL burn them out. There are 2 levers on the left side of the operators station. The right one is the decompression lever. Please, message me if you need help with this machine.