John Deere D110 Smoking

/ John Deere D110 Smoking #11  
There are certainly things to know and watch for while replacing these head gaskets. If you posses a good mechanical knowledge, can follow their instructions and own a decent torque wrench- it is with in your reach to do this successfully. Typically in addition to a dropping oil level, the oil turns dark from the combustion gasses entering the crankcase. If you are hiring it out, keep the oil level up in the safe zone and get it scheduled in. 30 weight oil is recommended by Briggs. They like to sell their 5W30 synthetic, 10W30 meets spec as well as SAE 30 plus 40 degrees.

True, 30W is one of the oil types recommended in the OEM B&S Operator's Manual and Repair manual. It's odd that JD omits it in their manual. Below is the OEM oil chart.

1618863340480.png

/ John Deere D110 Smoking #12  
The oil I’m using is recommended for it, been using it for 7 years
I headed off any potential problems with my 120 hour JD 110 mower (with known POS K46 Tuff Torq transmission)
It still works fine, but I gave it to my son.
Bought myself a nice new SCAG Liberty Z with 21hp Kawasaki.
Kinda early to tell, but so far......Love my SCAG!

Last edited:
   / John Deere D110 Smoking #13  
It really isn't odd that Deere and the engine / transmission OEMs don't agree. But then again, it becomes Deere's world to the purchaser, right or wrong. Your chart seems to show 4) 30 weight oils. One of those potato /potatoe things....

/ John Deere D110 Smoking #14  
Although of no direct help to the OP, the only time my D110 'smokes' is a wee bit of blue/grey on start-up. I back the throttle off of the choke/start position and it settles down within a few minutes. I have driven it certain distances to do odd jobs for neighbours; never had a problem.

I do, however, always use non-ethanol petrol. Fortunately, non-ethanol petrol is readily available to me and, as far as I know, Australia. On top of that the E10 petrol here in Aus is cane-sugar based, not corn.

/ John Deere D110 Smoking
Seems like it is the head gasket, known problem with this style engine, a design problem with the lack of head bolts in one area. Cost of new gasket is about $25 and it is pretty easy to change

/ John Deere D110 Smoking
Changed head gasket today

thumbnail_IMG_2337.jpg

You can see where the gasket is damaged
thumbnail_IMG_2338.jpg

And where is blew by on the head
thumbnail_IMG_2339.jpg

Clean up head
thumbnail_IMG_2341.jpg

And installed new gasket, notice the size difference of the new gasket.
thumbnail_IMG_2340.jpg

Ready to mow again
thumbnail_IMG_2336.jpg

/ John Deere D110 Smoking #17  
   / John Deere D110 Smoking #18  
OK guess I don't understand. You have had the mower for 7 years but only have 100 hours on the engine?

I'll go with Tom, most likely a bad head gasket.

Richard
I had my D110 for 12 years with only 120 hours, then gave it to my son.

/ John Deere D110 Smoking #19  
Obviously Briggs modified/improved the gasket design.
Looks good!
Not really. It is pretty much the same. The D110 came came w/ a 31" engine and the new gasket shown is a 33" gasket. Which certainly can be used. Briggs upped the torque specs from 220 to 250 rather than make a legitimate fire ring gasket. Rarely do they come back, but it happens.