Joplin MO disaster

/ Joplin MO disaster #1  

jimmyj

Elite Member
Tractor
Allis Chalmers 616 (Two) and a Kioti CK30 HST with loader and backhoe
I know there were terrible storms in more places that Joplin but when I read the news I found this link. It's and chilling to say the least, particularly for someone like me who really has never been exposed to tornadoes.

There is no foul language and there are no graphic images. It's just an audio recording of people who went through a close call huddled together in a store as the tornado goes by very close. The tornado hits about 2 minutes 20 seconds, before that it's the people preparing.

Thank goodness they were ok but our thoughts and prayers go out to all those who were not.

Joplin, MO Tornado: Horrifying Video From Inside The Twister

/ Joplin MO disaster #2  
I live in Missouri, but about 4 hours away from Joplin.

St. Louis has been hit twice over the last 6 months with tornados. More activity than I can remember. Horrible things.

Prayers go out to all impacted.

MoKelly

/ Joplin MO disaster #3  
I live in the Joplin area. The news videos and photos can't show the utter distruction that has hit Joplin.

Is there anyone else living in the Joplin area?

/ Joplin MO disaster #4  
I live in the Joplin area. The news videos and photos can't show the utter distruction that has hit Joplin.

I'm not from Joplin, but sympathize with you. The destruction caused by such a tornado is almost surreal. My prayers and best wishes are with you and others from the area. Truly a terrible thing.

/ Joplin MO disaster #5  
The recent tornadoes (and warnings, in my area) have prompted me to buy a weather radio with a warning siren.

We already have a plan as to what we will do...but my biggest concern is if a tornado struck at night. Would we wake up in time? (rhetorical question).
Well, the radio I bought, a MIDLAND WR300 Weather Radio, has an audible warning...

/ Joplin MO disaster #7  
The Wall Street Journal today says this Spring has seen the 3 deadliest tornadoes on record. What is going on?

MoKelly

I don't think they researched very well. There were deadlier tornadoes in the 1920's and 1930's.

/ Joplin MO disaster
I don't think they researched very well. There were deadlier tornadoes in the 1920's and 1930's.

I read it was the worst since the 50's.

/ Joplin MO disaster #9  

We are living just west of Reeds Spring, but will be moving to Texas this Saturday. We got the leftover storms Sunday evening. By the time they got here it was just rain and lightning. No wind to speak of.

/ Joplin MO disaster #10  

I saw a mention of the 'Tri-State' tornado back then too. They aren't sure just how many tornadoes there were, but more people died.

What's going on has partly to do with how many more people and locations are available to be struck now vs back when.
Dave.