Jump Starters

/ Jump Starters #1  

Dwellonroof

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 3046r
I’m thinking about purchasing a jump starter box but I had one about 15 years ago that was purchased from Meijer and placed on a shelf in the box until I needed it but to find out the compressor side would turn on but no air so I took it apart to find the gears were stripped so I gave it away.
Anyway I’m wanting to know what everyone else is using and about longevity along with maybe a compressor built in???

/ Jump Starters #2  
I知 thinking about purchasing a jump starter box but I had one about 15 years ago that was purchased from Meijer and placed on a shelf in the box until I needed it but to find out the compressor side would turn on but no air so I took it apart to find the gears were stripped so I gave it away.
Anyway I知 wanting to know what everyone else is using and about longevity along with maybe a compressor built in???

i recently bought one of these, what i like about it, it has a 10a dc port on it, meaning i can use any dc accessories with it. i find this more usefull then the jump pack itself. although i already have used it a couple times.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...d9d98e4ea955113ef0be0a6e3a2f2a&language=en_US

/ Jump Starters
I see it says 2 year warranty and up to 6.5 L diesel.

/ Jump Starters #4  
Timely thread, as I'm thinking about the same thing. I'm mostly interested in the booster/power source, as I already have a compressor, plus a portable which plugs into my cigarette lighter.
I'll be watching this thread, and checking out some of the suggestions.

/ Jump Starters #5  
I have used the NOCO brand jump packs for a few years now. So far so good. Keep a GB40 in each car and a heavy duty GB150 in my truck.

GB40 Unit: Multi-Function - 1000A It's a car jump starter, portable power bank, and LED flashlight. Recharge smartphones, tablets, and other USB devices. It's easily rechargeable from any powered USB port in 3 hours at 2.1-amps. Plus, an integrated 100-lumen LED flashlight with seven light modes, including emergency strobe and SOS.

GB150 Unit: Multi-Function - 3000A It's a car jump starter, portable power bank, LED flashlight, and 12-volt portable power. Recharge smartphones, tablets, and other USB devices. It's easily rechargeable from any powered USB port in 6 hours at 2.1-amps. An integrated 500-lumen LED flashlight with seven light modes, including emergency strobe and SOS. Plus, a 12-volt, 15-amp outport port for powering any 12VDC devices, like tire inflators, inverters and more.

/ Jump Starters #6  
i have had my jump-n-carry for close to 40 years. did bodywork and had to sometimes jump wrecked cars with crushed batteries and had to get inside to work on. i have driven cars that alternator quit and tied jump box under hood. then drove it 8 miles home. best investment ever. had to replace inside battery twice in 40 years. worked at dealer bodyshop and have jumped up to 9 cars on one charge moving lot around. only 1 was completely dead an rest were just dead enough not to crank.

/ Jump Starters #7  
i have had my jump-n-carry for close to 40 years. did bodywork and had to sometimes jump wrecked cars with crushed batteries and had to get inside to work on. i have driven cars that alternator quit and tied jump box under hood. then drove it 8 miles home. best investment ever. had to replace inside battery twice in 40 years. worked at dealer bodyshop and have jumped up to 9 cars on one charge moving lot around. only 1 was completely dead an rest were just dead enough not to crank.

The same. Got mine in '13 and it is still reliable.https://www.amazon.com/stores/Clore...1530-7386-4A5D-BE4A-61B521AC0E67?ref_=ast_bln
Project Farm on the Youtube has done 2 video comparisons which would be good for you to watch. Some did better than you would expect and some worse. Longevity?

/ Jump Starters #8  
   / Jump Starters #9  
All well and good but you have to remember to keep those charged too. :eek:

I have one I use in the shop quite often. Typically to test 12v circuits or parts.

I bought it when my car battery decided to go on vacation. I was parked at Academy and had walk down the road to Home Depot to get a jump pack. It said to charge it first so I found an outlet on the outside of HD and plugged it in. It took about 20 minutes. Then walked back to my car. It worked and I was on my way back home in about an hour.

/ Jump Starters #10  
I carry jumper cables. I am very skeptical of the jump packs. They may work if you are just barely below the cranking threshold, but if your battery is really dead you are going to need more than a little jump pack. I was getting ready to jump a car in a mall parking lot with my cables. A guy jumped out of his truck with his little jump pack as said "I got this". The battery in the car was stone cold dead. He bragged about how great the jump pack was. He hooked his jump pack up and could barely get the solenoid to chatter. He tucked his tail and left. I hooked up my jumpers and got the kids on their way, with the admonishment that they better get a new battery.

I think the advertising on them is hype. If those little packs could truly put out the amps they claim, then why aren't all cars equipped with them instead of lead acid batteries? The weight and space savings would be a great asset to the car makers.

Doug in SW IA