Just a reminder for those with septic systems

/ Just a reminder for those with septic systems #11  
I asked my weekend company to refrain from putting so much basically pee stained toilet paper in the septic. For whatever reason, this otherwise giving individual, did not comply. I countered by not throwing ANY of my TP in the toilet and burning it instead. I revealed this to her, expecting her to be shocked and complying with my wishes. She did not. Huge amounts of TP can't do a septic any good. Not long ago, you could buy single ply TP but not any more. At least nothing other than that gas station variety commercial stuff.

Like I said, she is a giving individual, but I am almost at the point of saying, you want to go, there's the bush.

/ Just a reminder for those with septic systems #12  
Some folks, maybe most of us, just become accustomed to using a certain amount of TP. Even if we buy the super-nice 2-ply, super-soft, super-absorbent stuff, some "users" still rip off a yard or more per use. That is all non-degradable solids in the tank.

/ Just a reminder for those with septic systems #13  
Sounds like a good time to have your tank pumped. Then most of the time you have visitors your field is not seeing any load at all. "give your septic field a holiday"

Speaking of which, here in Paris TX, it costs north of $300 to get a tank pumped. Not sure why so expensive except that the whole area has poor percolation, so it might be a high demand thing. I also don't know how expensive it is for the services to empty their trucks. It causes me to explore exotic sewage treatment options, although I haven't decided on anything yet.

(When we were shopping for a house, I used Google Earth extensively to scout properties. During my research I discovered that you can spot residential septic fields really well with GE (plant growth), and even figure out how well it's working. Now when I use GE, the septic fields and outflows are so obvious that I automatically notice it.)

/ Just a reminder for those with septic systems
This would be a good sign your system is working there's another dry well but it's behind the trees.
Septic lids.jpg
The top of the tank is about 3' below surface and the dry wells 4' to the top then the extensions. This is a good time of year if you have snow to determine where your tank is if you don't know.

/ Just a reminder for those with septic systems #15  
This would be a good sign your system is working there's another dry well but it's behind the trees.
View attachment 492420
The top of the tank is about 3' below surface and the dry wells 4' to the top then the extensions. This is a good time of year if you have snow to determine where your tank is if you don't know.

I had to check, mine is down about 12-14" and I know where it is. About 4" snow cover and not a sign. Of course mine has a very light load, only me and I don't flush anything but solid waste and TP.

/ Just a reminder for those with septic systems #16  
Speaking of which, here in Paris TX, it costs north of $300 to get a tank pumped. Not sure why so expensive except that the whole area has poor percolation, so it might be a high demand thing. I also don't know how expensive it is for the services to empty their trucks. It causes me to explore exotic sewage treatment options, although I haven't decided on anything yet.

(When we were shopping for a house, I used Google Earth extensively to scout properties. During my research I discovered that you can spot residential septic fields really well with GE (plant growth), and even figure out how well it's working. Now when I use GE, the septic fields and outflows are so obvious that I automatically notice it.)

Last time I had mine pumped it was well over $300. About 3x whay I paid the previous time. I don't recall the exact. I asked why such a jump. Answer: EPA. They are not allowed to dump on agricultural land anymore (dry land wheat farms here) and had to buid their own sewage treatment plant.

/ Just a reminder for those with septic systems #17  
I am VP of our lake community association and was also the local 'handy man' guy.
As such I got to know which pumper was the most honest and now we survey members and go for quotes annually.
For the last 7-8years we have never paid more than $150. (Cdn) for pumping service.
Fuel is one of their major costs so it stands to reason that the more the merrier.
Added benefit is they know the drill as many systems have their quirks.
Some pumpers want extra if more hose is needed or the lid is hidden etc etc.
Our pumper simply charges everyone same $$ and thanks us.
PS pumped me free as well! (I did not ask he offered and I accepted)

/ Just a reminder for those with septic systems #18  
Do they still make colored TP? I haven't seen it in years.

Sure you have.....look in your wallet. They make it everyday over at the Treasury Dept.

ry%3D400

Pumping fee here is an average of $380.00 and is a fair price since they have to pay so much a lt. approx. $150 per tank depending on size because it all has to go to the treatment plant. They not only have to drive to the customer maybe an hr. then go to the drop station and if there's a line up of trucks wait as much an another hr. at times. So owning,maintenance, licencing&Insuring truck with 2 safety per year $100 an hr. or more isn't out of line.

Turnkey if it doesn't snow for a wk. or so the snow will melt of yours as well.