Just an Easy Grease Job!

/ Just an Easy Grease Job! #1  

Dennisfly

Gold Member
Lake Anna, Virginia and Alleghany County, VA
Tractor
John Deere 4410
I removed the mower deck from the Cub Cadet so I could grease it, as it was past due. I figured I might as well also grease the spindles, wheel bearings and steering box while I was at it, even though they have a higher hourly interval between lubrications. All was going well. The zerks were all taking grease and I only had a couple to go. I might as well do the John Deere when I finish here since the grease gun is already out. Then I ran out of grease.

I had a spare cartridge and I remembered that the last cartridge I changed, I got involved with the long handle coming out of the gun and ultimately making a huge mess before finally getting it refilled. This time, the handle locked in the retracted position, the old cartridge came out and the new one went in without a hitch and I released the spring loaded handle. The only problem was no grease was coming out of the gun when I pumped it. I remembered that if that happens, you can loosen the screw on the front of the gun and "burp it" to re-establish the flow.

I loosened the screw but still no flow. I loosened the screw further and it came out entirely, followed by a ribbon of grease that wouldn't stop. I put my finger in the hole and it stopped the flow after the front of the gun was totally obscurred in grease. I tried to pull the long handle back out to release the spring pressure but no luck, especially with the gun and my hands both covered in grease. Of course the one rag I had handy was already totally full of grease and the roll of paper towels I usually keep handy was down to the last couple of sheets. I tried to restart the screw in the vent hole but only suceeded in letting more grease escape. After the fourth attempt and letting 3/4 of the new grease escape, I finally got the screw back in. The air bubble was gone because the gun was pumping, only problem was that most of the grease was already on the outside of the gun.

No one else has probably ever had a similiar experience, right?

/ Just an Easy Grease Job! #2  
I personally find them to be a pain in the butt but unfortunately necessary. I think everyone has had the experiences you describe and then some. Did you read the one post of the guy who broke his arm on his loader when the gun was stuck on the zerk? After reading that I decided not to complain about the grease gun messes I have had:D. I hope you have better luck next time though! Just know we all have those days and try to laugh.

/ Just an Easy Grease Job! #3  
I gave up on manual grease guns about two years ago, bought a lincoln battery powered one, never a problem just less money in my wallet but well worth it.

/ Just an Easy Grease Job! #4  
You are absolutely "The first person" to have had this type of gease gun experience.:D :D

Some guns have a push button spring loaded air bleed in place of the screw bleed off.

Another way is to pull out turn the T handle till it locks in place with the internal plunger plate. Then put pressuire on the handle and pump the gun till you get grease. This also works if the spring isn't as strong as it should be or its cold and the gease is stiff.

/ Just an Easy Grease Job! #5  
This is the easiest way to burp a grease gun. After installing your new tube of grease and putting the front end back on the gun. DO NOT tighten the front of the grease gun all the way. Leave it about 1/2 - 1 turn loose. Release the grease gun rod at the rear of the grease gun. Pump the handle a few times until grease comes out and tighten the front of the grease gun. Never take out the plug at the front. That is used for an external Zerk fitting for refilling the gun with an air powered grease gun out of a large grease drum.

/ Just an Easy Grease Job! #6  
I needed to burp my trusty old grease gun for the first time this last weekend after of dozens of burpless tubes. Luckily I had a mental picture of the grease squirting out of that little fill hole so I stepped on the t-handle while backing out that plug on top with a screwdriver. I knew you could fill the gun from a bulk container through the top but I needed to burp through it. I accidentaly backed the plug all the way out and only lost about a tablespoon before getting it back in.

I would have been pretty PO'd had I lost 3/4 of a tube. It's only a 2$ tube of grease and a huge mess but the panic of trying to stop the spewing leak is amusing.

/ Just an Easy Grease Job! #7  
Of course the problem of air in the grease has ever been with us. The tube grease guns are an immense improvement over the old system of having to fill the gun from a 5 gallon bucket of grease using a spatula, flat stick, etc.

The fun was bumping the handle while doing it and winding up with the grease all over you as you are naturally looking at the open end of the gun while filling it. BTDT. At least with the tubes, you only wind up with the tube being expelled and away from you at that.

Harry K

/ Just an Easy Grease Job! #8  
I agree with JimR. I found out many years ago that it is easier to leave the threads on the business end of the gun loose to bleed the air out. The small bleed screw takes too long to let out trapped air. Release the spring and pump a few times. then don't forget to tighten the pump end after bleeding.

/ Just an Easy Grease Job! #9  
Something as simple as a greasegun, can take a great day and make it a mess, and if it happens on a bad day, can make a bad day into a day when you run the tractor over the grease gun at least a dozen times, and then go by a new one with grease already in it.
I would do maintance on my machinery alot more often, if it weren't for the fear of running out of grease at the wrong, inopertune moment.
David from jax

/ Just an Easy Grease Job! #10  
Hmm... so that's how it's done!!! :eek: I always wondered.... the spring plunger on top end of my grease gun doesn't do a very good job of burping .... So, next time I'll stop just before screwing the top all the way on... burp it. then finish screwing... don't know why I didn't think of that:eek: