Just an Easy Grease Job!

/ Just an Easy Grease Job! #11  
Hi, my name is Prokop and I have problems with my grease gun:)

So glad it is not just me:) - but I didnt know the trick of burping the gun and wasted lot of grease trying to figure it out.
Heellll, when I moved to USA and got my first grease gun I had no idea it takes a cartridge - I was filling it from a grease can and to my surprise the gun never worked right:confused:

/ Just an Easy Grease Job! #12  
Hi everyone, I grew up on an Iowa farm and wasn't uncommon to change two cartridges/tubes a day during Spring and Harvest time. Every suggestion so far has been right on target. My dad (full-time farmer) showed me those same tricks. Here are some additional items, after you lock the handle, swap the tube, pop the top, there is usually some grease on that "pop-top", scrap that grease onto the top of the newly inserted tube. This adds/saves some grease, but also eliminates some of that air that would later have to be purged from the gun. Next, screw on the top at least a couple full rotations(just not tight, as previous mentioned), release plunger t-handle, put grease nozzle into trash can or walk over to ditch and pump the handle like crazy for 15 seconds. If purged, tighten the barrel; If not, rotate barrel 1/2 turn (either way), also use T-handle in two different ways. 1= if t-handle is loose from bottom disc inside barrel, just move it in and out a few times and then pump like crazy for 15 seconds. Last resort #2 = Pull T-handle out and rotate it to lock onto that internal, spring-loaded disc at the bottom of the grease tube. Once locked, put T-handle on your belly button, one hand on the barrel, one hand on the lever, pull grease gun/lever towards your belly with full force and pump like crazy!!! Most times it only takes 15-30 seconds, But I have had those problems that have taken 3-5 minutes to purge a new tube in a grease gun, but we always were succesful in the long run. Good Luck

/ Just an Easy Grease Job! #14  
I have also found that the quality of the grease gun makes a big difference. Most of the ones found in parts stores aren't worth a thing.

/ Just an Easy Grease Job! #15  
Spend the money on a good,heavy gun.$35.00-45.00 Will get you a good one that will last forever.Throw away the wally mart stuff.While you're at pick up a good suction gun as well.You will find many uses for it.

/ Just an Easy Grease Job! #16  
for $40.00 you could buy a air powered grease gun. I love mine, just pull the trigger no more holding the fitting with one hand,pumping with the other while propping the gun on your arm/leg/shoe/ or where ever.

/ Just an Easy Grease Job! #17  
JimR said:
This is the easiest way to burp a grease gun. After installing your new tube of grease and putting the front end back on the gun. DO NOT tighten the front of the grease gun all the way. Leave it about 1/2 - 1 turn loose. Release the grease gun rod at the rear of the grease gun. Pump the handle a few times until grease comes out and tighten the front of the grease gun. Never take out the plug at the front. That is used for an external Zerk fitting for refilling the gun with an air powered grease gun out of a large grease drum.

In read all of this with amusement for two reasons...

1) I had my tail whipped by several grease guns in my 28 years. Mostly when you get the new tube in, peel back the pop can end and try to screw the head back on.. then the T handle/Plunger breaks loose before you get it on there...

2) Growing up working on the farm, I was taught to chane tubes by leaving the head loose... didn't know there was any other way to make the mess....

It just takes practice... as many guns as I filled on the farm, I am a pro now... barely get enough grease on my hands to justify a rag now...