Just bought three acres, now what

/ Just bought three acres, now what #1  

deeboy

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I freely admit that I'm a tractor newbie. Seems like there are a lot of people on this forum that know a lot more about tractors that I do. I've done some web-research at a few of the big name compact tractor sites, but wanted to get some real user input into my decision. First a little about my situation.

I just bought three acres in Eastern NC. The land is relatively flat. I have about 1.5 acres of grass and another 1.5 of woods, debris and other crap. The reason I'm looking for a tractor is because I need to do the following things:

1. Mow
2. material handling (fill dirt, mulch, and other heavy misc stuff up to about 500 lbs)
3. tilling
4. landscaping

Things that are important to me:

1. ease of use: particularly driving, changeover of attachments, and ability to get tasks done quickly.
2. Quality
3. Availability of spares: I don't want to have to drive 50 miles to get a spare part if needed.

I'm a little overwhelmed by the number of options I have with respect to horesepower of the tractor. I guess I just need some direction so when I go to the dealer, I know what I'm talking about. Thanks in advance.

/ Just bought three acres, now what #2  
go look at the kioti ck20 or 25 with hydrostatic trans, tuff tractors, easy to use. free loader at certain times of the year.

/ Just bought three acres, now what #4  
20-25hp should be fine. HST is easiest. Loader and rear mower. I started with similar tasks/acreage and was very happy with a Kioti CK20. I'm sure the equivalent Kubota, JD and NH and also Mahindra would also be just dandy.

/ Just bought three acres, now what #5  
Shopping and studying and dreaming is part of the fun.

Yup, agree with previous posters. Deere 2000 or 3000 series, Kubota B series would do you just fine. But there are lots of other very fine choices from the top 4 or 5 makers in the CUT (compact utility tractor size). Look at them. More importantly, sit on them. Drive em out a bit, and insist they let you do that. Nothing fancy, just start it, go forward and back, even. See if the controls fit your "world view". Different manufacturers have different ideas about such things. You need to buy what fits you.

Lastly, and it is said so often, but it still is true. You gotta trust and like the dealer. That's the bottom line.

/ Just bought three acres, now what #6  
You could buy a new Johndeere or BX series Kubota. What type of budget do you have? A yanmar isnt to bad on price if you dont mind used tractors. I have to admit hydrostatic transmission is easier to drive but when mowing gear transmission is nice. Gear takes a little getting used to but It is nice when you want to maintain a constant speed. For Johndeere models I would look at the 2305, 2320, 2520, and 2720. They are quality tractors that will pull their weight and offer hydrostatic transmission. Kubota models would be the BX1860 through the BX 25 or possibly a B series tractor. I know the B series offers Gear trannys but the BX series is all Hydrostatic. Now this is just a sugestion, I would get R1 (agriculture tires) or R4 (industrial tires) since your application is basically off road in the dirt. I know the BX1860 offers R1 tires but the rest including Deere only offer R4 tires. These tires are agressive enough for your terrain but the R4s wont dammage the grass. Implement wise I would get a brush hog, loader, and a tiller.

Last edited:
   / Just bought three acres, now what #7  
I agree with the other posters, I think a 25 to 30 horse machine with loader and mower would be fine, I am partial to Kubota but like all of the colors, what tractor dealers are closest to you? Also I know John Deere has a nice feature on their site that helps you choose the right machine.

Mike

/ Just bought three acres, now what #8  
Three acres is not a lot. I'm surprised to see some medium chassis machines recommended. I think for just three acres a machine that size would be way too big. For the given tasks listed a subcompact would most likely work. A backhoe would make a great counterweight for when lifting 500 lbs! :D Since mowing would be one of the main tasks I would say to go with a SubCUT; definitely not something bigger than a small chassis machine like Deere 2000 Twenty series, Kubota B series, etc.

/ Just bought three acres, now what
Thanks for the advice so far. I'm very familiar with the John Deere brand. New Holland and Kubota are new names to being that I'm not too familiar with the compact utility tractor (CUT, correct?).

I had not thought of a backhoe as a counterweight, but that does make a lot of sense.

The three acres is indeed not too big, but I'm planning to get a lot of use out of it. As far as budget goes: Just like anyone else, I'm looking for a good deal. However, I understand that versatility, ease of use, and quality usually cost more. I would be interested in new or used.

One thing I did notice when doing a comparison between New Holland, Kubota and John Deere. The New Holland is significantly heavier than the other two for a comparable model (at least the comparisons on the New Holland and Kubota sites). Are there any disadvantages to this added weight?

Thanks again for the responses. They are helping.

/ Just bought three acres, now what #10  
Three acres is not a lot. I'm surprised to see some medium chassis machines recommended. I think for just three acres a machine that size would be way too big. For the given tasks listed a subcompact would most likely work. A backhoe would make a great counterweight for when lifting 500 lbs! :D Since mowing would be one of the main tasks I would say to go with a SubCUT; definitely not something bigger than a small chassis machine like Deere 2000 Twenty series, Kubota B series, etc.

Yes, a Kubota BX is a natural choice, but the OP mentioned woods and rough patches. The BX is fine machine. I own one. But, the poster should look at both at his local Kubota dealer and see for himself. I did.

BTW, a "B" Kubota is a compact. I wouldn't really classify it as "medium chassis", but that's just me.