Just bought three acres, now what

/ Just bought three acres, now what #21  
Yeah, recomendations all over the place. Anything from a Cat D8 bulldozier to a old reel style push mower without an engine would work in theory. Listen to the people that are saying to buy a sub cut or a cut. I mow about 2 acres and have about 2 acres in woods. I have a Kubota BX2350 (which is now a BX2360) and it works out great. A smaller Kubota B series would also be a great choice. The B series is a little bigger than the BX series. Anything bigger is just going to get in the way. Like others have said Deere, New Holland etc make similar models and they are good also. As far as money goes, be prepared to spend between $10,000 and $15,000 for a new one with a end loader, mowing deck, box blade etc.

/ Just bought three acres, now what #22  
How rough are your woods? How much work will you do there? That is the wild card in your situation. If the woods aren't that rough, or your work there will be minimal, a SCUT is for you (pick your color.) If the woods work is important, then a small CUT is the answer (again, pick your color, there are many god machines to choose from.)
Will

/ Just bought three acres, now what #23  
Yeah, recomendations all over the place. Anything from a Cat D8 bulldozier to a old reel style push mower without an engine would work in theory. Listen to the people that are saying to buy a sub cut or a cut. I mow about 2 acres and have about 2 acres in woods. I have a Kubota BX2350 (which is now a BX2360) and it works out great. A smaller Kubota B series would also be a great choice. The B series is a little bigger than the BX series. Anything bigger is just going to get in the way. Like others have said Deere, New Holland etc make similar models and they are good also. As far as money goes, be prepared to spend between $10,000 and $15,000 for a new one with a end loader, mowing deck, box blade etc.

+1 .

/ Just bought three acres, now what #24  
How rough are your woods? How much work will you do there? That is the wild card in your situation. If the woods aren't that rough, or your work there will be minimal, a SCUT is for you (pick your color.) If the woods work is important, then a small CUT is the answer (again, pick your color, there are many god machines to choose from.)
Will

+1 again.

/ Just bought three acres, now what #25  

Amen, Dodgeman.......

/ Just bought three acres, now what #26  
yah sorry guys, now everyone has one less iq point for reading my post. the jist of what was in my head was, i have a small plot and i found the tractor that works best for me. yes i could have got along with a wheelbarrow and rake but i like toys. when i bought mine i came on here with the same questions, got great advice from tiny sub cut to 30 hp. i dont feel anyone gave me lousey advice. so, go sit and drive as much as you can and don't let hp ratings close your mind. jon

/ Just bought three acres, now what #27  
I must admit, I thought you were looking for a tractor. ....I don't consider the 26 hp lawnmower I use to mow 2 acres a tractor. ....I do consider the tractor that I use to have another niche entirely.

...Your criteria were:

1. Mow
2. material handling (fill dirt, mulch, and other heavy misc stuff up to about 500 lbs)
3. tilling
4. landscaping

For mowing, I would say you should get yourself a zero turn lawnmower. ...Forget about items 2, 3, and 4, and get the mowing done fast and effectively.

...Now for the other three items, you could get yourself a good sturdy tractor as inexpensively as you can find. >>This is where you need to decide for yourself if you NEED the working ability of a tractor, or just NEED a mower. ..If the need for a real tractor isn't very great; consider renting a tractor(one large enough to get the job done quickly) to do the bit of work you need done with a heavy hard working piece of equipment, and just buy the mower. ...You will come out many thousands of dollars ahead. ...But if you want a tractor to work with occasionally, you can get something inexpensively to use occasionally. >>>> That was the intent of my recommendation of the 40 hp Foton. It is a good strong tractor with a small price for this type of equipment. ....But if you have an almost non existent need for it, you should opt for a ZTmower and rentals! (You might be surprised at how much work you can get done with a 40-50 hp tractor with Front End Loader and a box blade. A one day, well planned rental could easily do all you might need done.)

Contrary to many on here, I recommend that you avoid the high priced multi task 'toy' tractors. Should you decide to do heavy work with them, they will not be that effective, and they are more cumbersome than a good lawnmower. ...Also, if you are just going to 'dabble' with them occasionally, they are definitely a high priced option. ...America's countryside is strewn with small multi-use machines that were purchased with big dreams in mind that don't come true. ....The manufacturers know there is a strong dividing line between machines built to work hard, and machines built to sell for high profits and sooth egos!

~

/ Just bought three acres, now what #28  
Sniff, Sniff, I'm going to go out and give my "toy" tractor a hug, I think you hurt it's feelings. I forgot it was to small when I moved and spread out 80 tons of gravel this summer.

He has got 3 acres for Pete's sake, he doesn't need a big machine. Yes they are toys compared to a real tractor but that doesn't make them a bad thing.

/ Just bought three acres, now what #29  
I love the "toy" put down. I'd challenge anyone who thinks a BX24 is a toy to go one on one with that machine while armed with a shovel and a wheelbarrow.

On a 3 acre plot of land, if ground clearance is not an issue, a BX size SCUT is more than adequate and would do a much better job mowing, which is likely the most common task, than virtually any other size tractor. Slightly used BX24s with less than 300hrs on them go routinely in my part of the country for under 13 thousand. Fabulous deal for a newbie with 3 acres. Wish I had one to supplement my 40hp machine.

If you spend you money on a smaller tractor you can have more implements to accomplish tasks than if you invest in a bigger engine and more iron to contain it than is really necessary. For example, with less money you could have a SCUT with a grapple bucket that would carry way more debris than a 40hp tractor with only a bucket. With a BX24 you could have BH and mower mounted simultaneously so you have an all purpose machine rather than waste time dorking around changing implements.

As someone who started with 20hp and moved to 40hp, I have first hand experience with the pros and cons. The 40 clearly does things I could not do with the 20 such as pull out a stump in a single motion with the much stronger loader. But, I was able to get the same stumps out 5 minutes later with the smaller tractor, it just took a little intelligence and time to replace the lost muscle. If I were in business I'd easily justify the bigger tractor but as a homeowner in this situation the smaller machine just makes a lot more sense. On the con side of big, consider costs and storage of bigger implements, heavier tractor to leave bigger ruts, inability to get into small spaces, being further away from what you are doing so being less accurate, more fuel per unit of work, more oil/tranny fluid costs at service time....the list could go on.

Here are some things you can do with a wimpy toy 20hp tractor. Match them with your spade and wheelbarrow.:D

Attachments

• IMG_2841 Look Ma no chains.jpg
    IMG_2841 Look Ma no chains.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_2868 With a grapple one step.jpg
    IMG_2868 With a grapple one step.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_3054smallfile.jpg
    IMG_3054smallfile.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_3030smallfile.jpg
    IMG_3030smallfile.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0192 after stump2.JPG
    IMG_0192 after stump2.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_2893.JPG
    IMG_2893.JPG
    550 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
   / Just bought three acres, now what #30  
I've got to agree with Island Tractor. I have a 21 hp tractor and a 39 hp tractor that do all the tasks I have to do on 35 acres plus 200 acres of my MIL's land. The land is mostly wooded so we are not raising crops. The 21 hp tractor gets more use than the larger one now that things are established. Easier to maneuver and less damage to the finish landscape. I would be looking at the sub-compact tractors for 3 acres if I wanted it to do finish mowing like the original poster. The initial clean up work may take a bit longer but the eventual maintenance work and mowing will be much better handled by the smaller tractor. Naturally a 40 hp tractor will do many task more quickly but on 3 acres it is overkill.

MarkV