Just curious -- telehandlers, how are they suspended? How do wheels move?

/ Just curious -- telehandlers, how are they suspended? How do wheels move? #1  

SmallChange

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland WM25 with 200LC front end loader, filled R4 tires 43X16.00-20 and 25X8.50-14 (had a Kubota B6200D with dozer and R1 tires)
Thinking about tractors and balancing, and the way front axles are usually pivoted to let the wheels follow the ground so the tractor itself is really on 3 points for the purpose of balance and tipping. And it occurred to me to wonder how are telehandlers suspended? I've only seen photos, and for all I can tell all four wheels mount rigidly to the frame, so if it was on curved ground it could tip back and forth between two corners. Is that how they do it? Or do they do it like the front axle of a tractor, perhaps on the telehandler rear so that the load does not put it onto 1 point balance?

Just wondering. I'd love to have one. Then after that I'd love to have a reason to use it.

/ Just curious -- telehandlers, how are they suspended? How do wheels move? #2  
What you need would be a compact telehandler.
Here is mine, no suspension, the rear axle pivots and steers:
PA160030.JPG

PA110001.JPG

That makes it very stable with heavy loads on the loader:
P7150036.JPG

Small enough to use in the woods:
PA160018.JPG

And park in the garage:
P1120012.JPG

I sold my tractor soon after I bought my first Compact telehandler (y).

/ Just curious -- telehandlers, how are they suspended? How do wheels move? #5  
There are different options in the suspension that I know of.
Yes, the pivoting rear axle as shown above.
On some models you can lock the pivot. That provides solid four point contact. It may be released as soon as the drive pedal is activated.
Other models you can hydraulically tilt from left to right if operating sideways on a slope.

/ Just curious -- telehandlers, how are they suspended? How do wheels move? #6  
Most equipment either has a solid frame or a pivoting back axel. A pivoting axel under the loader is horrible for stability.

/ Just curious -- telehandlers, how are they suspended? How do wheels move?
What you need would be a compact telehandler.
Here is mine [...]
That is a very impressive picture, holding a tree up in the air. Yes, I DO need one of those. Living without one is somehow incomplete.

Thanks!

/ Just curious -- telehandlers, how are they suspended? How do wheels move? #8  
Works good with a tree puller also:
P4090021.JPG
P4090026.JPG

/ Just curious -- telehandlers, how are they suspended? How do wheels move? #9  
My Lull's whole frame tilts.
Lull Fork Tilting Carriage.jpg
The cylinder rod is over 3 inches in diameter. The stroke isn't that much, but tilts the machine more than I am comfortable with. You can see above the axle. The rear axle pivots, but no cylinder on it.
At 9 feet wide and 20,000 pounds, it feels solid crossing shallow ditches diagonally.
hugs, brandi

/ Just curious -- telehandlers, how are they suspended? How do wheels move? #10  
Worked on telehandlers for 30 yrs. They have cylinders that connect the frame to the pivoting axles. They are locked in place with holding valves on the cylinders. If you want to tilt the frame you have to use the valve or switch to make them tilt. They dont oscilate (follow ground contour like a tractor front end) on their own. Manlifts do oscilate but lock in place when the boom elevates off the ground.