Just discovered my Kubota has skid steer front tires.

/ Just discovered my Kubota has skid steer front tires. #11  
Any one look into the airless tires as a replacement. would they be able to handle the varying loads we place on our tractors or are they more suited to things like forklifts that are most single purpose.

/ Just discovered my Kubota has skid steer front tires. #12  
I don't see how a 7 year old 10 ply tire on an L3410 could be ready for replacement! That is a lot of tire for that size tractor. Ought to last 30 years.

/ Just discovered my Kubota has skid steer front tires. #13  
Is the tractor 4x4? If so, make sure the fronts and rears are sized correctly!

• Good Post
Reactions: jmc
   / Just discovered my Kubota has skid steer front tires.
I don't see how a 7 year old 10 ply tire on an L3410 could be ready for replacement! That is a lot of tire for that size tractor. Ought to last 30 years.
Good to hear that if true - anyway, I will keep them for now. Other than flats now and then, and the fine-line cracking I see, the tread still good. If they last the balance of the 30 years they will outlast me. But now, I am wondering, if tires are supposed to last 30 years, why I replaced them in 2014 - the tractor was purchased in 2003 with 16 hours. I am not remembering why that was done - I am a bit frugal when it makes sense so assume there was a need to replace them.

Last edited:
   / Just discovered my Kubota has skid steer front tires. #15  
Any one look into the airless tires as a replacement. would they be able to handle the varying loads we place on our tractors or are they more suited to things like forklifts that are most single purpose.

A solid tire isn’t a good choice on the tractor. Aside from making the ride suck it’s more stress on the axel. If you’re talking about something like a tweel I suppose the option exists but it’s not cost effective.

Is the tractor 4x4? If so, make sure the fronts and rears are sized correctly!
The sizes are what came with the tractor when I bought it - and appear to be correct from what I can figure out from the manual.

/ Just discovered my Kubota has skid steer front tires. #17  

I'm glad you brought that up. That's just what I was thinking. I'm curious how you wear out 10 ply industial front tires in 7 years...
How many hours? What kind of terrain? Are you running 4wd constantly?

I'm glad you brought that up. That's just what I was thinking. I'm curious how you wear out 10 ply industial front tires in 7 years...
How many hours? What kind of terrain? Are you running 4wd constantly?
rScotty, also curious here - about just how long the tires should last.

The tires had about 1100 hours on them as best I can calculate. Terrain is hilly and rough, sometimes very rough where I need to work, sometimes gravel, primarily loader work, grading and moving stuff - including boulders. Sometimes on very rocky areas. I would think rougher use - maybe more aggressive than how most would be using their tractors. I am on 4wd mostly.

I am not saying they are worn out - just that the guy that last fixed the flat mentioned that he saw a lot of cracking (fine-lines), and mentioned they were skid steer tires which I wondered about and was what caused me to post this thread. I plan on continuing to use them. I am not sure why I replaced tires in 2014, but have a vague memory that they kept popping the bead and going immediately flat - which was a PITA, but not sure if that was it.

I might measure my tread depth and when next in town try to compare that to a new R4 tire. Just guessing, I think my treads are worn down a decent bit when I look at pictures of new R4s on line.

/ Just discovered my Kubota has skid steer front tires. #19  
Operating conditions and tire quality vary widely. So it follows that tire life will vary widely as well.

/ Just discovered my Kubota has skid steer front tires. #20  
Operating conditions and tire quality vary widely. So it follows that tire life will vary widely as well.

And it depends on how much you need tread vs the FWD assist traction. About the only time I ever use FWD is when going up a slope with a load in the bucket - and half the time that is in reverse..... For example, moving up from the creek with a load of mud or rock.

Our land is as rocky as any. We don't have dirt, just scree and gravel. Front tires last several thousand hours with still decent tread, and usually get replaced at around 2 to 3 thousand hours because of sun damage or the rubber gets hard. The wear isn't the problem. They do have a lot of fine splits and cracks, but that doesn't seem to make any difference even in a tubeless. It must be just surface cracking