Traction Just wondering about Mattracks.

/ Just wondering about Mattracks. #1  

dickfoster

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra 1538TLB
Just wondering if anyone here has tried Mattracks yet. They do make them for tractors. If it's about ground contact, you'd have plenty just by swapping out the wheels for track drives. Not cheap but it's a bolt on affair so could be a seasonal thing.

3500r-big.png 3500-johndeere-3320-1.jpg

Here's their smallest ones for tractors, they have larger sizes for larger tractors. Mattracks | Tracks >> Track-Tor-Assist >> 3K Series >> 3535

/ Just wondering about Mattracks. #2  
The biggest issue we had with them on pickups, was that they would break the steering components. Not sure you would have the same problem with a tractor.

/ Just wondering about Mattracks.
The biggest issue we had with them on pickups, was that they would break the steering components. Not sure you would have the same problem with a tractor.
Maybe but the tractor steering is full hydro so maybe not.

BTW I checked and their price for their TR3500 which is sized for my CUT runs just north of $31K. Wow, I knew they weren't cheap but that's really kinda high as my tractor with loader and backhoe was just a shade less brand spankin new. I know they don't make as many and the whole economy of scale thing but compared to the parts and complexity of the tractor that sounds dayum high to me for no more than what they are. I was thinking they might be cheaper than a track steer and that could help justify some high cost but maybe not even that compared to a used track steer. I was thinkin maybe 10 grand or something along those lines. I didn't know they were making them out of gold.

/ Just wondering about Mattracks. #4  
31K holy cow Batman. I bet they don't sell many at that price

/ Just wondering about Mattracks. #5  
I don't see how those would work on a 4x4 tractor, the diameter ratio is not even close to stock. What am I missing?

/ Just wondering about Mattracks. #6  
Wow is right, may was well buy a nice used track loader for that price! Ouch

/ Just wondering about Mattracks. #7  
The units that bolt onto ATV's and side by sides cost in the $5000 range new, you can usually pick a set up used for $3000 here in Ontario. I imagine they are a lot more light duty compared to those designed for tractor weight and torque. But never the less you would really have to justify that kind of cost or be able to write off on a business use.

/ Just wondering about Mattracks. #8  
About 15 years ago when I was up in Canada there was a tractor grooming the snow machine trails. It had tracks on the rear tires only. The tracks went around the rear tires, not the type that have their own separate hub. It was night and on the trail so I couldn't stop and get a good look. I'm not sure how the tire drove the track but it must of worked pretty well as the tractor had no problem pulling the drag.

/ Just wondering about Mattracks. #9  
About 15 years ago when I was up in Canada there was a tractor grooming the snow machine trails. It had tracks on the rear tires only. The tracks went around the rear tires, not the type that have their own separate hub. It was night and on the trail so I couldn't stop and get a good look. I'm not sure how the tire drove the track but it must of worked pretty well as the tractor had no problem pulling the drag.

Very similar to the old model T conversions, an idler wheel is added just ahead of the rear tires. I believe you have to use the left and right brake along with the steering to turn, A unit close to me has a similar set up but the track goes around the front wheels as well and steered by independent braking like a bulldozer.