K1 kerosene in tractor?

/ K1 kerosene in tractor? #1  

japody

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 4000 & 5000, New Holland TN65, Mahindrda 2516
I've got a few hundred gallons of K1 kerosene that I didn't use. Is it safe to use in a diesel tractor?

/ K1 kerosene in tractor? #2  
I personally wouldn't use it in any concentration in a modern common rail machine.
In a previous pre emissions mechanically injected tractor I used 10% kerosene in the winter to prevent fuel problems.

/ K1 kerosene in tractor? #3  
Kerosene is blended with diesel fuel to improve winter fuel operation. Kerosene blended diesel fuel is mixed with ratios from 80 parts diesel, 20 parts kerosene to a maximum 50 part to 50 part mixture depending on the severity of cold weather. While kerosene has an ignition quality similar to #2 diesel fuel, it is too thin to work well as an engine fuel alone and has poor lubricating capabilities inherent in heavier #2 diesel. Kerosene can be mixed with diesel fuel by the truck owner or operator.

Looks to me like you should sell it - not use it - at least not in your diesel engines.

/ K1 kerosene in tractor? #4  
I guess the same holds for Jet-A?

/ K1 kerosene in tractor? #5  
Looking at the cost of K 1 it would be difficult not to try selling it .

/ K1 kerosene in tractor? #6  
If it’s clean and fresh I’d use it. I’d blend it with regular diesel. 25% kerosene or a little less. If you can get biodiesel all the better because it has good lubrication properties the kerosene doesn’t.

/ K1 kerosene in tractor? #7  
I'd use it too; in fact, I have used it...

Just blend it in with summer #2 and not worry about it!

SR

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / K1 kerosene in tractor? #8  
It may not hurt to add Stanadyne or Power service or ? to the fuel for lubricity if you choose to use it. kerosene
is quite dry and your injection pump may thank you for it.

/ K1 kerosene in tractor? #9  
If it is clean fuel, I would mix at 20% and double dose with my additive.

/ K1 kerosene in tractor?
Thanks for the replies. With the dyed diesel going for $4.69, I'm trying to figure a way to stretch it. I'll try the 20/80 blend.