Kawasaki mower engine maintenance.

/ Kawasaki mower engine maintenance. #1  

N80

Tractor
Kubota L4400 4wd w/LA 703 FEL
I just bought a Cub Cadet ZT2 54" zero turn mower. Really liking it so far.

But, I was looking at the manual for the 23hp Kawasaki FR691V and was a little surprised to see that at 300 hours it recommends that the combustion chambers be cleaned, adjust valve clearance and clean and lap valve seats and it specifies that those are dealer only maintenance items.

I have no problem adjusting the valve clearances but the other two require removing the head (I'm assuming) and that is not something I would want to do myself.

This is very disappointing to me. First, I can and do all the maintenance on my Kubota L4400 4wd. As far as I know none of the maintenance, at least under 1000 hours, requires a trip to the dealer and most of it is quite simple. Second, I suspect a trip to the dealer with the ZT is going to be expensive if the heads have to come off.

So is this unusual? Do the comparable Kohlers and Briggs and Strattons have similar requirements? As mentioned, I can adjust the valve clearance easily. But I wonder what I'd be risking in terms of longevity if I ignore having the combustion chambers cleaned and valve seats lapped?

/ Kawasaki mower engine maintenance. #2  
I have the same engine with over 2000 meter hours on it and other than adjusting the valves every season and removing the shroud and blowing the engine off (gets a lot of grass under there), I've never had the heads off or fiddled with the valves (seats).

I'd just keep up on the oil changes and adjust the valves and call it good.

/ Kawasaki mower engine maintenance. #3  
The combustion chamber of my Kawasaki engines gets cleaned out when I run fuel cleaner through a tank of fuel. Been working with no issues for almost 10 years and no issues.

/ Kawasaki mower engine maintenance.
Thanks guys. That's probably the approach I'll take too.

/ Kawasaki mower engine maintenance. #5  
I have an OLD 1988 John Deere LT160 ride on mower - 12.5 hp Kawasaki engine. Love it. I bought it used, no manual, and mostly neglected - but it goes anywhere. I have replaced the battery, spark plugs, added oil as needed, and gas. That's about it. I am just getting to NEW brake pads / pucks now, and it likely needs a new solinoid.

Probably nothing like your zero turn, but I love that Kawasaki engine.