Keep ripping tubes

/ Keep ripping tubes #21  
Does he have rim liners? Tubes won't last without those.
I have a 1990 b8200 that's never had bead liners. I work it hard in the woods over stumps and roots sometimes pulling until the front tires are not steering. It has caciul filled tires too. Last year I had my tire chains work right off due to tires spinning on stumps/roots. I havent had a single tire issue.

Since it only does field work and both tires have issues I'm guessing inst either an Installer or tube issue.

Take some pictures of the valve stem for us.

/ Keep ripping tubes #22  
Were the tires loaded before..?? Even if not, there'd a good chance the rims are rusty inside, and if not cleaned, will poke/rub holes in the tubes. I just replaced tires on my Farmall Super C last week, replacing a good set of used one's I put on 30 years ago. The original tires were not loaded, yet the rims had a bit of rust on them. I cleaned them with a wire cup brush, primered with rusty metal primer, and painted with aluminum paint.

Being it has never sat outside, I thought it was going to be a fast replacement, with no rust to deal with. To my surprise, there was some rust on the valve stem side of the rim only, clear around the rim. I can only suspect salty water got in around the valve stem when plowing snow with the rear blade, and/or when hauling manure to the field across the road, driving through salty snow that had been plowed off the road, for 20 years. This is one of the inner tubes I took off. Although they never lost air, and tires were replaced due to a sidewall breaking out, there were some flakes of rust embedded in the tube. I'd have to guess within a few years, I'd have had a flat tire.

I once again cleaned the rims with a cup brush, but this time gave them a coat of Ospho to hopefully kill the rust in the tiny pits in the rim. Gave them a coat of rusty metal primer, then a finish of aluminum wheel paint.

I suspect your rims are rusty, and the person changing the tires just went a head and mounted the tires and tubes, on those rusty rims. If some of the flakes got dislodged while mounting, it rubbed/poked a hole in the new tube. Had that happen at a discount tire store 30 years ago, on my then 1 ton dump truck, when I had the steering tires replaced. I had a flat tire 2 days later, when hauling a load of coal for my buddy. After inspecting the tire and rim, and seeing all of that rust in there, needless to say, I was at the tire store the next day, pretty much throwing a fit. Manager informed me it wasn't their job to clean rims, just replace tires. All they had to do is tell me, and I'd have taken them home, and cleaned/painted the rims, and brought them back. The local tire shop I deal with now, will tell you if you have a problem with the rims, and will clean and paint them, but I prefer to do it myself.

I'd suggest to be there when they come to change the next one, and have a look at the rim. If they put new tubes on a rusty rim, then I'd be somewhat irate. You may have some recourse on the cost of tubes, and installation. Especially if the installer never mentioned you had rusty rims, and installed anyway,ad not giving you a chance to clean them up, before installing new ones. It may cost you another service call, but I'm sure that's a lot less than new tubes at $300 a crack.

1633433607505.png

/ Keep ripping tubes #23  
Better check that rim real good. Them smooth rims aren't all that smooth. Spot welds in them. Plus the tube can rust to the rim. You may take a flappy disc and touch up paint and make it work. Our 6 tractors have maybe one flat a year average. No other problems and have liners. But a flat is a flat. He is having ripped tubes and no flat. If the liner is in right, tube won't get pinched. Rubber on rubber instead of rubber on steel. Even bicycle tubes have liners back when I rode them.
Yes. Acknowledged and agreed. Though you are primarily using specific examples of the pitfalls of neglect and negligence. - Every time the tire is off is your chance to take care of the rim. Dont mindlessly add a tube or change one.

Bicycle and motorcycle wheels had the kind of spokes you could play a tune on. Each one required a perforation of the rim. Water can easily enter. Spokes loosen. There is movement and slow rusting. A liner there is absolutely necessary.

These things cause holes.

I do not understand the OP "ripped" tubes :unsure:. Perhaps too big and creased? Or too small and overstretched? Razor blades? I believe the run flat issue has been specifically excluded.

/ Keep ripping tubes #26  
+ loss of rolling efficiency and a baaad ride.

/ Keep ripping tubes #27  
Jerry/MT said:
The tubes may have been damaged during installation. This should not be happening. You need to have a long talk with the folks who installed your tires, tubes and CaCl.

That was my opinion as well. Sucks.
I agree that it sounds like an installation problem. Air trapped between the tub and tire will have the tube sloshing and moving around inside. When I have to work on or replace a tube (no fluid fill), I note that it may take a day or two for the between-air to escape and I have to add more air to the tube. The issues about the rim condition should require that you be an observer when the job is performed to confirm the final product/service you end up with.

One more question that has not been asked is if you really need to fill the tires. And if you need the weight, maybe consider steel weights instead?

/ Keep ripping tubes #28  
I had to replace the tube in one of the front wheels on my backhoe and being in a hurry I bought one from Tractor supply. While trying to stretch it over the rim of the wheel it ripped. My first thought was I must have missed a sharp edge on the rim so I bought the other one they had at the local store and it did the same thing. This time I was very careful since I couldn't find anything that would cause the tube to tear. So I looked at the tube and I could easily tear the tubes by hand. I ended up buying a Firestone brand tube. Day and night difference. So that's the only brand I use from now on. I suspect that there's a company in China getting rich off of poor quality tubes.

/ Keep ripping tubes #29  
In years past I've seen tire guys use grease to lube the bead area to seat a bead when inflating instead of specific bead lube/sealer and am wondering if maybe the tire is spinning a little under heavy torque - this could also tear a tube/stem.

I also have had terrible luck with small tubes the last many years - tear very easily brand new trying to install them. I too agree a tubed tractor tire should have a boot/liner in it.