Keychains - Organizing Keys?

/ Keychains - Organizing Keys? #1  

MNBobcat

Platinum Member
Hi Everyone,

So today I misplaced half of my keys. Yeah, I know...

I did find them, but its the second time its happened and it got me to thinking that in addition to making duplicates of my keys I'd like some better way to manage them.

What I would like to find is a key chain where each individual key can be quickly removed. I may have, for example, 15 - 20 keys on my ring but when I think about it there are only about 6 keys I use on a regular basis. What I think makes more sense is to carry those 6 keys and if I know I'm doing something on a particular day, for example using my trailer, I can add the extra key just for that day and then remove it when I'm done for the day. So each key should be on some kind of an individual clip/hook. I also need the ability to split my truck key from the rest of the keys. I often leave my truck running, for example, and go unlock my trailer.

I'm looking for some kind of clever keychain. Something practical. I could care less what it looks like. Something where its easy to add/remove keys, etc.

What do you use for a keychain? If you care to share, please post your pictures, links to where you can get the keychain, etc. I've googled and am not finding anything useful. Surely some company must have come up with a unique, very practical way to carry/organize your keys?

/ Keychains - Organizing Keys? #3  
I've never lost my keys. I use about a foot of parachute cord, any good strong cord would do. I tie a small hasp on one end and a loop on the other, I clip the hasp to the keyring.
I attach this to a belt loop above my front pocket by passing the loop end thru the belt loop, then pass the keyring/ hasp end thru the loop in the cord.
pull it in snug and drop the keys in my pocket, they are always attached to my pants. The cord is long enough to reach door locks.

Not pretty but effective.

JB.

/ Keychains - Organizing Keys? #4  
I use a different approach. I have a key chain for each application. Like jd tractor, car #1, truck, scooter etc. I keep these chains on a key rack - actually four of them. Then when I go out I take the one that I will be using. Each chain has a distinctive key fob for identification purposes.

I have another location that holds the duplicate keys.

/ Keychains - Organizing Keys? #5  
I use a different approach. I have a key chain for each application. Like jd tractor, car #1, truck, scooter etc. I keep these chains on a key rack - actually four of them. Then when I go out I take the one that I will be using. Each chain has a distinctive key fob for identification purposes.

I have another location that holds the duplicate keys.

That's what I do. I have shed, house and tractor key on one ring for when I'm out on the tractor and pretty much the same set up for my work truck keys. Work truck, trailer locks and house key. For just daily driving I have separate vehicle key's each with a house key.

Was a PITA the first couple of day's, now it's not even a second thought. First thing I do when I go in the house is put the keys in a bowl, then as I leave grab the set I need.

/ Keychains - Organizing Keys? #6  
I have only 2 paddlock keys on my key ring. But I have many pad locks for each one of those keys. I also so have combination locks that you can set your self which I have set to only 2 numbers. Each tractor is on a ring by it's self. My problem is my horse trailer has 9 diffrent keys and they are on a ring by them self, it came from the factory that way! :mad: My personal key ring has keys for 2 personal rigs that we drive to town, 1 house key, 2 padlock keys, 1 key to the church, PO Box key, and 1 key fob.

/ Keychains - Organizing Keys? #7  
I have 3 biners, one is the barn, tractor, and gates, other is car and house and neighbors keys(he is always loosing his so he gave us a set :), other is work.
I did key alike my barn and house, saves on keys, along with all my gates they are keyed alike too.
My work keys i just slip on my car biner and when i get home i can take it off so im not sloshing around with keys. I was also thinking of going with the fingerprint locks, but a bit too expensive right now.

/ Keychains - Organizing Keys? #8  
The perfect key ring would have an loud buzzer and/or strobe light that could respond to any television remote control and vice versa. That way you'd never lose your keys or remote. Is that heaven or what?:thumbsup::D

/ Keychains - Organizing Keys? #10  
The perfect key ring would have an loud buzzer and/or strobe light that could respond to any television remote control and vice versa. That way you'd never lose your keys or remote. Is that heaven or what?:thumbsup::D

Sounds good, but I don't now, you have to find your tv remote to help find your lost keys. :confused:

Got to get one of those for my 85 year old mother, to to help her find her keys, but to help my sister and I to find her!!!

JB