killing bamboo?????

/ killing bamboo????? #1  

forgeblast

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deer 318
This stuff is unreal. The bamboo we have in Pa is almost indestructable. I burried it last year and this year its coming back up. How do i take it out before it spreads across my whole property. I tried with the round up, but it kept coming back. Any suggestions? or know of a more powerful product?
thanks in advance. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Forgeblast

/ killing bamboo????? #2  
Atrazine liquid is cheap ($6 a bottle) and worth a try. It kills everything here in Florida. It is designed to spray on st augustine lawns in a light concentration and it kills everything except the grass. It WILL also kill the lawn if you mix it too strong. Don't ask me how I know. For bamboo, I would mix it about 4 times stronger than the label says and go for it.

/ killing bamboo????? #3  
I thought bamboo was technically a grass, though? Sure atrazine will work on it?

/ killing bamboo?????
ill give that a try, the price isnt bad. Tommorrow ill hit the agway and pick some up.
thanks again.

/ killing bamboo????? #5  
I have some bamboo here (Indiana). It seems like it gets stronger each time I cut it down. It also grows about an inch a day!

Please update the post if you find something that does kill it. I'm sick of it here. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Thank you.

/ killing bamboo????? #6  
Why do ya'll want to kill this bamboo??? It would make great fishing poles!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ killing bamboo????? #7  
Here's another thought. You know how you can kill grass in an instant by over-fertilizing it? I think I'd put a lot of powdered fertilizer around the bamboo, spray the leaves with straight ammonia, and follow-up by spraying the branches with molasses to attract little bugs. All those things are pretty cheap compared to herbicides.

If it doesn't work, my advice was at least worth what you paid for it. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ killing bamboo????? #8  
Bamboo is a grass so round up should work. They sell some Roundup in a powdered form in a box of 5 packages, and each package makes 1 gallon. It is 73% and should kill bamboo.

/ killing bamboo????? #9  
use to be a product called "spike" I don't know if it's still on the market but it will kill bamboo.

/ killing bamboo????? #10  
Spike is still out there. Nearly $70 a can now around here. But be careful. Do not get it anywhere near any trees you might want to keep.
SPike also does wonders on blackberry brambles. I have kept blackberries off of my fencerows for several years now by applying Spike.