kioti running hot

/ kioti running hot #1  

KiotiKowboy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK50SE HST Cub Cadet UTV Swisher RC17552BS NRA_Life
DK50SEHST with Landpride mower RCR1872

I cannot keep the engine temp under control when brush hogging. I do have to say it's 98 outside right now :)

I'm mowing in Low and have varied the RPMs from 1800 to 2400 - even raised the deck an inch or two and narrowed the mow bite to about 5 feet. It doesn't make any difference in the temp. Oil is good. Coolant is good.

Since Kioti saw fit to NOT mark the gauge with usable numbers - all I can say is it runs about 75% - 90% of scale. I've resorted to taking breaks but it's only minutes before the temp is running high again.

Any way to improve the cooling on this machine? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Last edited:
   / kioti running hot #2  
Yup! Clean the radiator screen. If that isn't sufficient, get the tractor in a darkish shop and put a trouble light in behind the radiator, next to the fan blades.
Go around front and look thru the radiator. If you can't see the light, your radiator is plugged. Or there is an oil cooler or AC condenser in front of the rad. Swing that out of the way, without unhooking, if possible. Check for the trouble light again. Keep cleaning until you can see the trouble light.

/ kioti running hot #3  
so how much above "normal" or green does it go? checked radiator fins? so how sharp are your brush hog knives? that can make a difference. wise to keep an eye on the gauge as you've done. some may suggest to use a remote temp gun when overheated & check specs, but never had to use. good luck

/ kioti running hot
Yup! Clean the radiator screen. If that isn't sufficient, get the tractor in a darkish shop and put a trouble light in behind the radiator, next to the fan blades.
Go around front and look thru the radiator. If you can't see the light, your radiator is plugged. Or there is an oil cooler or AC condenser in front of the rad. Swing that out of the way, without unhooking, if possible. Check for the trouble light again. Keep cleaning until you can see the trouble light.
Good suggestion. Thanks.
The screen(s) are clear. Kioti designed those so you can only remove one and shake it clean - unless you unhook an air hose. I modified mine with a Dremel so I can slide both of them out in the field.

/ kioti running hot #5  
We're just a bit south of you in NE Texas. On top of all of the other good advice, I'd try to avoid doing that type of work after about 11am. (Though it sounds likely you already know that) We aren't likely to see cool weather for a few months.

/ kioti running hot #6  
Check air filter also.

/ kioti running hot
so how much above "normal" or green does it go? checked radiator fins? so how sharp are your brush hog knives? that can make a difference. wise to keep an eye on the gauge as you've done. some may suggest to use a remote temp gun when overheated & check specs, but never had to use. good luck
Temp scale is bracketed low/high and has 2 dots for normal operating range. My temp runs almost to the upper limit of the bracketed display ... just below HOT.
The mower has only been used 2 seasons ... couldn't have hit more than a few hundred rocks! Not easy to get under one of these beast to check the edges.

/ kioti running hot #10  
I don't want to be a nag, but can you see the trouble light thru the radiator core? 🙏🏻