Kodiak Core Aerator??

/ Kodiak Core Aerator?? #1  

jgrreed

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 4720
Has anyone ever used, or owned, a Kodiak core aerator (or one that is the same style, on a drum)?? I see that people are generally pretty happy with Kodiak's quality.

KODIAK MFG., Inc.

I'm looking at a 72" 3 pt hitch model. It can be filled with water, and the frame is made to fit cinder blocka for extra weight. At 1270$ it seems like excellent value relative to Landpride (3900$), Woods (3400$), Befco (well over 2k), Ryan (6415$!!!!), etc. I've been looking for a Kioti but can't find one, seems they've stopped making them.

Thanks,

-Jer.

/ Kodiak Core Aerator?? #2  
Not familiar with them but it looks like another fine Chinese steel clone like Howse. You always get what you pay for with Woods and the like and there is a real reason these secondary brands cost half the price. A recent thread about a box blade that broke on the first day is a good example. Plus, if you do not have a local dealer to take it back to you will set yourself up for a fine hassle. I fell for the price and bought two fine Chinese steel attachments from Howse and they lasted a full weekend with my mighty 28hp Kubota.

/ Kodiak Core Aerator??
Just called the dealer. They said they've sold several and haven't had any major problems (I know I have to be wary of the source.....but..). The tines are replaceable and they can provide me with the replacement tines.

I'm not a contractor, and really can't justify a 3 or 4 thousand dollar aerator to use twice a year.

I suppose I have lots of time to think about it, it's -20degC here today.

-Jer.

/ Kodiak Core Aerator?? #4  
Understand not being able to justify the price and there really should not be much to tear up on an aerator. Especially if you can replace the tines. Plus if you have a dealer in between you and the equipment that is a good thing, if he is a good dealer of course.

If I needed one I would probably go for it.

/ Kodiak Core Aerator?? #5  
I too have seen the drum style core pluggers and noticed the price being half that of the more standard type. I think the main reason for this is not that it is neccessarily cheaply made or inferior, but rather just much simpler than the more conventional type. It's only a drum with the tines, whereas the others have all the individual hubs, bearings, a frame around the whole thing, stands to support it when at rest, etc...

I saw one made by ferguson. Looked pretty good to me, especially if you can get the replacement spoons. I bet if one were handy enough with the welder, they could make one themselves for that matter!

/ Kodiak Core Aerator?? #6  
You might want to look on e-bay where there is a dealer selling a similar model often. Also keep in mind that with the tines on a single drum you will not be able to turn without tearing up the lawn or breaking tines. That would be ok on a 3pt. model that can be lifted but I sure would not want a tow behind like that.

I know what you mean about the major brands being expensive for as often as a home owner like myself uses one. Never have figured out why? Look how much goes into a tiller for half the price.

MarkV

/ Kodiak Core Aerator?? #7  
Not familiar with them but it looks like another fine Chinese steel clone like Howse. You always get what you pay for with Woods and the like and there is a real reason these secondary brands cost half the price. A recent thread about a box blade that broke on the first day is a good example. Plus, if you do not have a local dealer to take it back to you will set yourself up for a fine hassle. I fell for the price and bought two fine Chinese steel attachments from Howse and they lasted a full weekend with my mighty 28hp Kubota.

All Kodiak implements are built in Charleston, TN. The only thing that comes from China are the gearboxes for the cutters. There is no US source for the gearboxes.

With Woods you also get to pay for all that expensive advertising. :)

/ Kodiak Core Aerator?? #8  
an alternate idea if you only use it for your own property twice a year is to rent one. the local rental yard here rents a Frontier for about $85 a day...it'd take a lot of years to make it worth buying to me.

/ Kodiak Core Aerator??
an alternate idea if you only use it for your own property twice a year is to rent one. the local rental yard here rents a Frontier for about $85 a day...it'd take a lot of years to make it worth buying to me.

Hi Jim,

I tried that, the local rental places only have walk behinds, nothing on a 3 pt for my machine.

Thanks for all the info so far, I appreciate it.....keep it coming!!

-Jer.

/ Kodiak Core Aerator??
You might want to look on e-bay where there is a dealer selling a similar model often. Also keep in mind that with the tines on a single drum you will not be able to turn without tearing up the lawn or breaking tines. That would be ok on a 3pt. model that can be lifted but I sure would not want a tow behind like that.

I know what you mean about the major brands being expensive for as often as a home owner like myself uses one. Never have figured out why? Look how much goes into a tiller for half the price.

MarkV

I agree 100%, for 4 grand you'd think you could get some kind of PTO driven power rake, or anything with a gearbox!!

I'm willing to lift my 3pt and work in straight lines twice a year to save 2500$.

-Jer.