Kohler Engine Oil

/ Kohler Engine Oil #1  

Leo Rabon

Bronze Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet GT 2000
I have a 2011 Cub Cadet GT2000 (purchased new) with a 20HP Kohler Command engine. Has roughly 400 hours of use after 10 seasons with an oil change each season (averaging 40 hrs use). I have used the Kohler brand 10W30 oil (conventional) as recommended by Kohler for the Command Engine without any problems at all. It does not use any oil. Spring is coming up and I will change the oil soon.

1. I have been seeing some blurps on the internet regarding the Kohler brand 10W30 conventional oil as "NO LONGER AVAILABLE" with the exception on current stock on hand at suppliers. The bottles now state Kohler engine oil (Semi-Synthetic 10W30).
2. Have seen a statement by someone that says they contacted Kohler about this and were advised that the old Kohler 10W30 was Semi-Synthetic but was not listed on the label.
3. Some have said just to use the new Semi-Synthetic and don't worry about engines with a lot of hours on them as they would be fine.

I really liked the Kohler engine oil. It had a high ZDDP content, I used it in very hot weather, 95 degree without any burnoff.

I WOULD SINCERELY ANY THOUGHTS TO MY QUESTIONS LISTED BELOW.
THANK YOU

Questions for those that may know or have experience on this matter to reply.
1. Was the old Kohler 10W30 oil (Semi-Synthetic)?
2. If it was not, would the Kohler semi synthetic 10W30 have any negative consequences on that 20 HP Command after 400 hours of conventional oil use?
3. If yes to question 2 (negative consequences) I plan to switch to Shell Rotella 15W40. It does not get that cold where I am and I don't get on the mower for anything if the outside temp is under 50 degrees. Just fall leaf cleanup. What are your thoughts on Shell Rotella 15W40?

/ Kohler Engine Oil #2  
1. I don't believe it was. 2. No, that would be a good oil. 3. I wouldn't. Would it hurt anything plus 50 degrees? Likely not. Kohler wanted you to stick w/ 10w30 on a Command due to the hydraulic lifters. They did make allowances to say that SAE 30 could be used with ambient temps 50 and up a few years back. Their large Command had notes that 20W50 could be used to lessen oil consumption. In your case I would either use the new Kohler or another brand of 10W30 small engine oil that would be comparable to the old Kohler oil if you had concerns with the synthetic blend. I use Kinetics. Briggs, Deere have it readily available too.

/ Kohler Engine Oil #3  
Kohler has replaced the old traditional 10w30 oil with a new synthetic blend 10w30. I wouldn't worry about the new oil just go ahead and use it in place of the old 10w30.

/ Kohler Engine Oil #4  
Engines are engines, and oil is oil. Stuff like 0w30 and 5w30 were not available when your Kohler engine was made and owners manual written. Use dino, mix or synthetic 0w30, 5w30 or 10w30. If mix or synthetic, just run longer on the change length. Synthetic can go 2 or 3 times or hours of a dino oil. Mix or blend somewhere in between. The basic oil is virtually the same. Blends or synthetic have fewer ppm levels of contaminants than dino oils. Synthetics have NO contaminants and NO wax. Blends somewhere in between.

I've switched an old Gravely Kohler engine to synthetic, and it quit using oil.

Switched an old Benz diesel to synthetic. Used the same 1 qt/2,000 miles like with dino but less fuel with synthetic (less viscous on startup).

I know all this because I worked as a chemical engineer in the lube oil industry for 31 years.

Ralph

/ Kohler Engine Oil #5  
You will be fine using the "newer brand" kohler oil. Main thing is that you keep it changed out on a regular schedule.

/ Kohler Engine Oil #6  
Engines are engines, and oil is oil. Stuff like 0w30 and 5w30 were not available when your Kohler engine was made and owners manual written. Use dino, mix or synthetic 0w30, 5w30 or 10w30. If mix or synthetic, just run longer on the change length. Synthetic can go 2 or 3 times or hours of a dino oil. Mix or blend somewhere in between. The basic oil is virtually the same. Blends or synthetic have fewer ppm levels of contaminants than dino oils. Synthetics have NO contaminants and NO wax. Blends somewhere in between.

I've switched an old Gravely Kohler engine to synthetic, and it quit using oil.

Switched an old Benz diesel to synthetic. Used the same 1 qt/2,000 miles like with dino but less fuel with synthetic (less viscous on startup).

I know all this because I worked as a chemical engineer in the lube oil industry for 31 years.

Ralph

His engine is barely 10 years old. Multi grade oil has been around since the 1950's. Synthetic oil since the 70's.

/ Kohler Engine Oil #7  
Just a reminder, Kohler doesn't make engine oil. I would not use 15w-40 oil in the Kohler or my B&S V2 Intek engine. I would use Supertech 5W-30 or 10w-30 synthetic in either.

/ Kohler Engine Oil
Just a reminder, Kohler doesn't make engine oil. I would not use 15w-40 oil in the Kohler or my B&S V2 Intek engine. I would use Supertech 5W-30 or 10w-30 synthetic in either.

Thanks to all for taking the time to respond to my questions. Good information. I just did not want to press my luck to far as I hope my Kohler will live a few more years.

/ Kohler Engine Oil #9  
Air cooled engines benefit from synthetics due to the improved Noack score and the ability to resist heat. Also, most synthetics do a better job of cleaning and reducing sludge. If your Kohler is an OHV design, keep the valve lash on spec and use a bit of fuel system cleaner with PEA to reduce carbon buildup. My 12 year old B&S 724CC Intak V2 has original plugs and starts cold or hot after about 3 revolutions of the starter. I use Supertech or Mobil1 5-30. I change it annually.

BTW, I met John Kohler and his family years ago when sailing on the Great Lakes ore boats. They were passengers. Liked his toilets...had one of his generators in my first motorhome. Tough single that made a lot of noise.

/ Kohler Engine Oil #10  
Air cooled engines benefit from synthetics due to the improved Noack score and the ability to resist heat. Also, most synthetics do a better job of cleaning and reducing sludge. If your Kohler is an OHV design, keep the valve lash on spec and use a bit of fuel system cleaner with PEA to reduce carbon buildup. My 12 year old B&S 724CC Intak V2 has original plugs and starts cold or hot after about 3 revolutions of the starter. I use Supertech or Mobil1 5-30. I change it annually.

BTW, I met John Kohler and his family years ago when sailing on the Great Lakes ore boats. They were passengers. Liked his toilets...had one of his generators in my first motorhome. Tough single that made a lot of noise.

The Kohler family and their community have interesting history. Kohler Wisconsin was always a nice side trip when you are in the area. If they still have, they have a design center for mainly the plumbing side of things which showcased bath and kitchens and was great place to get ideas.