Kohler Engine Oil

/ Kohler Engine Oil #11  
The Kohler family and their community have interesting history. Kohler Wisconsin was always a nice side trip when you are in the area. If they still have, they have a design center for mainly the plumbing side of things which showcased bath and kitchens and was great place to get ideas.

So the same Kohler family had the engines and the bath fixtures businesses? I never knew that fact.

MoKelly

/ Kohler Engine Oil #12  
The oil in air cooled engines can go a long time. No coolant contamination. Long as the carb doesn't flood oil can be near lifetime service. A change doesn't hurt once in a while but there is no magic pixie dust in any of it.

/ Kohler Engine Oil #13  
Don't use the Kohler brand name oil but I do change all my small engines' oil out annually. Some are twice a year if I need to change the weight.

/ Kohler Engine Oil
Don't use the Kohler brand name oil but I do change all my small engines' oil out annually. Some are twice a year if I need to change the weight.

Hello Joe: Thanks for your response. I started out using the Kohler (branded) oil when I bought my mower in 2011. It was a 20HP Kohler Command that required 10W30 oil due to hydraulic lifters. I looked at the specs for their 10W30 oil and saw that it was also rated for diesel engines (thus more ZDDP) which I thought was a good thing for that small engine. Several years ago I researched and found out (then) that the Kohler branded oil was actually blended and packaged by a company called Warren Oil out of Dunn, NC (which has expanded greatly over the years). Like many other products that are private label, most are packaged by someone else. Don't know if Warren Oil still blends and packages Kohler oil or not. The new replacement for the Kohler 10W30 Conventional oil: Kohler 10W30 Semi-Synthetic oil states (in Red on the bottle) "Extra Zinc Added For Long Durability". The engine has over 400 hrs on it and I have heard stories about not changing from conventional oil to synthetic after a lot of hours on the engine. Also heard that it did not matter. Well, I am going to find out this summer. I bought the Kohler 10W30 Semi Synthetic and will change it in the spring. If it starts burning oil, (does not now), heck I change every year with about 40 hrs each season) I will drain it and put Rotella 10W30 conventional in it. At my age, I am hoping that engine and mower will make it on through with me and I think it will be ok. No leaks now. Thanks again. Leo Rabon

/ Kohler Engine Oil #15  
..............No leaks now. Thanks again. Leo Rabon

I would think you would be OK with switching to syn oil. I have a WheelHorse 314 I purchased almost 22 years ago. Its powered by the Kohler CH14 and still going strong with 555 total hours. Have always run the super tech conv. oil 10w-30. No wear, no smoke, and purrs like a sewing machine. Keep us posted on your findings.

/ Kohler Engine Oil #16  
The oil in air cooled engines can go a long time. No coolant contamination. Long as the carb doesn't flood oil can be near lifetime service. A change doesn't hurt once in a while but there is no magic pixie dust in any of it.

I'd say that zinc is the magic pixie dust. Burnt, sludge filled crankcases equal end of life, so in that respect your lifetime theory is correct...

/ Kohler Engine Oil #17  
I did learn from a petroleum engineer that diesel oil had some additives that favored certain type valves and valve stems.
I seem to recall it was either non roller or non hydraulic ones.

Either way there is nothing in diesel rated oils that can harm a gas engine, or so I was told.

/ Kohler Engine Oil #19  
Your air cooled engines need the oil that is specified by the engine manufacturer. The brand name does not matter to the engine. Many so called diesel engine oils are API rated SM as well as CJ-4 and can be used without concern in small air cooled engines. Follow the recommended viscosity specified by the manufacturer based on your ambient temperature. Diesel engine oils typically have increased levels of ZDDP which can be detrimental to catalytic exhaust systems, typically not found on our small air cooled engines. Choosing to use oils with higher than recommended viscosity can pose a danger do to higher than normal rheological forces especially at cold start. Also, not changing oils in air cooled engine (of any engine, for that matter) at specified intervals can lead to sludge, highly sheared oil (change in viscosity), reduced lubricity and high engine wear.

/ Kohler Engine Oil #20  
I did learn from a petroleum engineer that diesel oil had some additives that favored certain type valves and valve stems.
I seem to recall it was either non roller or non hydraulic ones.

Either way there is nothing in diesel rated oils that can harm a gas engine, or so I was told.

As long as the engine does not have a catalytic converter.