Komatsu D20A-6 ?

/ Komatsu D20A-6 ? #53  
I am glad you enjoy your little dozer. I have been contemplating for two years weather to purchase one or not. I nave had 3 small dozers. Case 350, Mf 200b and a Allice Chalmers HD4 which I still have. But all these dozers are over 25 years old. I was wondering who was going to wear out first, the old HD4, made in the early 60's or me made in the early 40's. Well I the the HD won out. I have been thinking getting one that it not so hard on the arms. I had looked around for about two years, considering the little Komatsu or the Bd2 Mitsubishi. I talked to several dealers who sold both dozers, and most said that there are about 4 to 1 of the Komatsu to the Mitbushi. But most said they felt the Mits. were better built, better engine, and eaiser to work on, but harder to get parts. And for the same dollar spent I could get a newer Mit. and in better shape than the Komatsu for the same dollar. So here goes. I just purchased a 1998 BD2J. I bought it sight unseen. It was on E-Bay but did not bring the reserve, so I called the fellow and made a deal. So this Thur. after my doctors appointment. (I think he is going to break the news that I have the big C, well life has to goes on). My wife and I will be heading from Ohio to Okla. City to pick it up. Nothing like having two dozers on hand. I will probably sell the HD4. (unless I dont like the Mitsubishi) Any one who knows any thing about the BD2J. Give me some input. Does any one happen to have a owners, and repair manuel they want to sell or copy and send me or know where I can get one cheap. I am sure I will be back on here asking any one if you know where I can get parts.

/ Komatsu D20A-6 ? #54  
John, congratulations on the dozer purchase, and good luck on the Dr. visit. Let us know the outcome of both.

/ Komatsu D20A-6 ? #55  
Well I guess I am the owner of a Mitsubishi BD2J, like it or not. My appt. with the doc. was canceled. We left Tues evening about 8pm Okla City. I drove till about 2 am and pulled into a rest area past Terre Hute Ind and slept for a couple of hours. The next day was a long haul across Mo and Okla. We arrived at the destination avout 8PM Wed. evening. After calling the dealer and getting permission to drop my trailer, we found a motel. The next morning after some much needed rest, we drove to the dealer and examined the dozer. I had purchased it sight un seen. (which I will never do again or reccmond). But all in all I guess it was pretty well what I expected. He had several other small dozers for sale and I am sure glad I didnt buy one of them. They sure can look good in pictures on E-Bay but when you see them in person, they are pretty rough. After the paper work, we headed back about 10 AM. Every thing went smooth and it was going to seem like a long boreing trip back home. On the Turner Turnpike about 30 mi east of Tulsa, had a blow out on the trailer. (no problem I thought) I had thrown in a spare tire for the trailer. I was driving a Ford 350 with a mechanics utility box on the back, pulling my skid steer trailer, rated at 14,000 gvw. Some how my jack and lug wrench was not in the truck. So I had to hobble about 5 miles to the next exit and pulled into a U-Hual dealer. He loaned me a jack and lug wrench. (lost about two hours of travel time) Back on the turn pike and about 20 miles up the road, the other tire blew. I knew I was in deep doo -doo then because thease tires are 16.5 and they are almost non existant. I had 3 more good tires on rims back at the shop, plus 2 16" tires on rims which I was wating to change over to. But using it locally I just never got around to it. We had to drive about 15 mi on a flat. The left lane was closed for repaving, so that made it harry driving on the berm avoding all the traffic, finally a man working for the turn pike came along and told me I could move into the left lane and drive there. That relived some of the stress. Finally a Exit. A gas station. Nearest town was about 15 miles away, they let me drop the trailer. Go to the nearest town and fined a tire store. No 16.5 tires. He called a big tire store about 20 mi away. They had only one in stock. I wanted to buy two, one for a spare. He said he would remain open till we got there. After $158. less, I had a tire, went and bought a lug wrench at Auto Zone ( had 4 of them at home) wen back to the trailer, unloaded the dozer and it tipped the trailer up high enough I could change the tire without a jack. Back on the road again (4 hours lost) we drove to Springfield Mo. and got a motel about mid night, next morning, I inspected all the tires and they all looked good. On our way again, about 30 mi from Rolla, bam, the spare I put on yesterday blew. A wrecker operator on the I-44 said the next town exit was about 3 mi. I drove there. unhooked the trailer, and went to the nearest town. I didnt even try to buy a 16.5. I asked where was the nearest salvage yard, went there and bought 2 used wheels and rims off a Ford pu. 16" $158, went back and installed one and back on the road. I wanted to beat the 5 oclock traffic in St. Louis. I have had two Ford 350 and both leave something to be desired in braking ability when loaded. Though I have brakes on all 4 trailer wheels. Its still unerving in traffic trying to make a panic stop when some one pulls in front of you. We made it through St. Louis without incident, on to almost Ohio boarder in Richmond Ind. Pull over at a rest area, sleep two hours, and back on the road again. We got home about about 7:30 AM. My body feels like it has been run over. I am getting too old for this, I keep telling myself. So now, getting the Mitsubish checked over and fixing all the little things, lights, etc. Does any one know the crossover number of the fuel, oil and air filter to a NAPA number or other. Let me know. After getting this one ready I guess I will sell the Allis.

/ Komatsu D20A-6 ? #56  
Hi John-

Sounds like you had a rough trip back home. Glad you ended up making it despite your troubles.

Let us know how the Mitsubishi dozer works out. As I had posted earlier and you had replied, the BDJ2 or BDG2 or whatever they are are certainly some that I'm interested in.

Was the dealer you bought from the one that is in Noble, Oklahoma selling dozers on eBay (OT-Tractors I think). Just curious.

Good luck, take care. Thanks for the posting.

/ Komatsu D20A-6 ? #57  
Yes. Dozers can sure look on e-bay, but when you seen them in person, thats a differnt story

/ Komatsu D20A-6 ?
Finally got around to installing a rear work light on the dozer.
I purchased a 6" Chrome off road H3 (Halogen) lamp from autozone, It's a 12 volt lamp, the dozer is 24 volt. Next was to find a 24 Volt H3 lamp, which I did find online for just a few bucks.
To mount the lamp, I rummaged around my scrap pile of odd metal pieces, and found a "Z" bracket with a hole already drilled in it, not only that, the hole was already the right size, no cutting, drilling, no machining of any kind, How could this be ?. So all I had to do was attach the lamp to the bracket, hold it up to the dozer to figure out where it best fit. After selecting a suitable location, I scraped off the paint & welded on the bracket. Then primed and painted with matching Komatsu Dozer yellow paint, custom made by the NAPA auto paint store.

Larry

/ Komatsu D20A-6 ?
Here is the bracket with the lamp removed and primed. The center pic shows how well that NAPA paint matches. The final pic on the left is the completed lamp.

There was at one time a rear work light, but when I purchased the dozer it was long gone. The wire was still there, all I had to do was add a ground and a few push connectors to connect the new lamp. The headlight switch on the dozer is a three position, off, headlight, then headlights and rear work light. That switch still works great.
Between the headlights & rear work light, now I can doze 24/7 :D
Larry

/ Komatsu D20A-6 ? #60  
Larry,

Your lights look great. I'm gonna have to stop reading your threads, you're giving me too many ideas!!!!!!! If I didn't have to stop working because it was dark out, I would be out there forever. hahaha

Eddie