Kubota B2400 starter issues.

/ Kubota B2400 starter issues. #1  

Diesel Dawg

Tractor
Kubota B2400
I need to hear from you guys on this one. It is driving me nuts. Note that this problem has been going on for YEARS. When I go to start the tractor (after preheat) I turn to "Start" and you can hear the starting solenoid clicking like it wants to engage. I have to repeatedly CLICK-CLICK-CLICK until the starter engages and it turns over real slow. I know, I know what your thinking. Classic low battery syndrome. I replaced the battery. Charging system is producing. Replaced the ignition switch. Replaced the starter/solenoid with a new one. Replaced battery terminal cable connections. Installed a new heavy duty ground strap from negative terminal to frame. If I hot start it with a screwdriver across the starter, it spins right up. Everything else electrical works fine.. lot's of auxiliary lighting, spray tanks etc. I'm sure it must be some simple thing that I just can't see. I'm afraid you guys are going to give me one of those "well, there's your problem right there". I will gladly suffer the humiliation, just help me fix this thing!

/ Kubota B2400 starter issues. #2  
I added a starter solenoid relay to my ZD mower for similar symptoms. The trigger wire from the switch to the starter solenoid was providing lower than battery voltage to the starter solenoid, resulting in the solenoid just clicking. The added relay activates at a lower voltage (7.5v ?) and provides 12v to the starter solenoid directly from the 12v positive connection on the starter.

There are plenty of wiring examples on the internet to make one up. It's been so long ago (without anymore problems) that I have forgotten the precise wiring, but it's not complicated.

/ Kubota B2400 starter issues.
Wow, thanks RJ.. That never occurred to me to be a potential problem, especially since I replaced the ignition switch and just assumed it was getting enough juice on the starter wire. But it really makes sense... there is a really Micky Mouse connector plug mid wire that I'm about to home in on. Either way, your suggestion is timely since I just got a couple boxes of 12Vdc auto relays for other projects. I will let you know..
Thanks