Kubota Diesel Oil Change, hours or time?

/ Kubota Diesel Oil Change, hours or time? #1  

Darrellq

If you are only putting 50-60 hours per year on the machine, should you change the oil annually? Appreciate your comments.

/ Kubota Diesel Oil Change, hours or time? #3  
I agree with RickB also 2 years maximum......Just put the date on the oil filter......

/ Kubota Diesel Oil Change, hours or time? #4  
As already said...I like mid spring and late fall time.

/ Kubota Diesel Oil Change, hours or time? #5  
I'm going multi years on both the 2005 Tacoma and our Isuzu diesel generator. Synthetic in both, of course. Only put 1k/yr miles on the Tacoma, and the Isuzu sees little service as we've had essentially no power outages in 2 years or so. Changed at 50 hours. That was 100 hours and about 4 years ago. Think that's how old the oil is on the Tacoma, too.

Do about every other year or 200 hours on the JD 2025R.

What's the worry?

Ralph

/ Kubota Diesel Oil Change, hours or time? #6  
Well there is really no way of knowing the condition of the oil even with low hours/lotsa time unless one does an uoa (Oil analysis) and then use the results as a guide. "What's the worry?" There may not be much wear metals in the oil but the TBN could have dropped considerably from fresh. One rule of thumb is to change the oil if the TBN has diminished to half of new value. This is the acid reducing characteristic/ability of the oil during storage. Dutchy

/ Kubota Diesel Oil Change, hours or time? #7  
I really would like to see some scientific data on this. Many people preach the change every year, some go two, but who really knows. I have over twenty Diesel engines and a few of them get used very little. A couple things I know of were last changed four years ago. If I was going to use them a lot I would change it first but for now I just let them go. I don’t doubt the oil degrades over time but I really wonder how significant it is.

/ Kubota Diesel Oil Change, hours or time? #8  
I use JD Plus 50 in everything. Supposed to extend change intervals.

I have a mower with a 4 cyl 56hp Kubota Engine. Weird, unlike any Diesel I have ever seen, the oil is always clear and golden. I have not changed it in years. Maybe there is an issue with condensation, sitting all winter in an unheated building, but won't that water simply boil off?

/ Kubota Diesel Oil Change, hours or time? #9  
I really would like to see some scientific data on this. Many people preach the change every year, some go two, but who really knows.

A great idea which we will never see. The only groups willing to pay for such a study are the same ones who make and sell oil; they won't be funding any research as to why we don't need their product.

Meanwhile, my late uncle Jim was a refinery manager for the big guys; Mobil, and ARAMCO in various places around the world. His answer to oil life was " That **** is tens of millions of years old. What's a few years." Usage is a better determining factor.

/ Kubota Diesel Oil Change, hours or time? #10  
I really would like to see some scientific data on this. Many people preach the change every year, some go two, but who really knows. I have over twenty Diesel engines and a few of them get used very little. A couple things I know of were last changed four years ago. If I was going to use them a lot I would change it first but for now I just let them go. I don’t doubt the oil degrades over time but I really wonder how significant it is.

Create your own data set. Start sampling oil and have a reputable lab analysis done.