Kubota Diesel Oil Change, hours or time?

/ Kubota Diesel Oil Change, hours or time? #11  
I really would like to see some scientific data on this. Many people preach the change every year, some go two, but who really knows.

A great idea which we will never see. The only groups willing to pay for such a study are the same ones who make and sell oil; they won't be funding any research as to why we don't need their product.

Meanwhile, my late uncle Jim was a refinery manager for the big guys; Mobil, and ARAMCO in various places around the world. His answer to oil life was " That **** is tens of millions of years old. What's a few years." Usage is a better determining factor.

Oil analysis by independent labs has been used for decades. It is inexpensive and the user controls the process. Send the black helicopters back to base.

/ Kubota Diesel Oil Change, hours or time? #12  
I have had my mini x for about 3.5 years now. Put maybe 150 hours on it in that time. Im planning on changing the oil in that this weekend...just because.. Also have a RTV1100 that I bought used and has very few hours on it. Going to do the oil in that as well while I'm at it. ..Oil is cheap...repairs not so much.

/ Kubota Diesel Oil Change, hours or time? #13  
I typically use my tractor a hundred hr. a year or a little less some years. I change the oil every spring, regardless. Just own policy.

/ Kubota Diesel Oil Change, hours or time? #14  
I typically use my tractor a hundred hr. a year or a little less some years. I change the oil every spring, regardless. Just own policy.

I used to follow the same procedure. Nothing at all wrong with it and probably a good idea. I have so much crap now though that it becomes overwhelming.

/ Kubota Diesel Oil Change, hours or time? #15  
EXACTLY! You just start to get a feeling of what needs an oil change. My little Steiner with a Kubota D722 works it's guts out at 3600 or close to it. Oil always pitch black. So it get's an oil change way more often.

/ Kubota Diesel Oil Change, hours or time? #16  
EXACTLY! You just start to get a feeling of what needs an oil change. My little Steiner with a Kubota D722 works it's guts out at 3600 or close to it. Oil always pitch black. So it get's an oil change way more often.

All diesels make oil pitch black very quickly. This has nothing to do with whether the oil needs to be changed.

/ Kubota Diesel Oil Change, hours or time? #17  
Like I said. My Kubota 56HP mower engine looks like new. After years! Haven't seen oil like that since I ran propane cars.

/ Kubota Diesel Oil Change, hours or time? #18  
I just own one tractor, so its not a huge burden for me to change oil yearly. The past few years I've started changing oil in the fall instead of spring on my tractor, zero-turn, UTV, etc..... Come spring, everythings ready to go. Also, if there was anything corrosive in my old oil, it doesn't set in the machines that don't get used all winter. I know some of you use your machines all winter, so what works for me may not be the best for you. I also find sales on oil and filters at the end of the season sometimes.

/ Kubota Diesel Oil Change, hours or time? #19  
All diesels make oil pitch black very quickly. This has nothing to do with whether the oil needs to be changed.

No and No. Not sure what makes you say the above. My David Brown 880 would still have dark golden oil at it's yearly oil change, and my current Kioti CK30 is similar. Matter-of-fact it's hard to see the oil level on the dipstick, its still that clean at 45 hours.... Dutchy

/ Kubota Diesel Oil Change, hours or time? #20  
I went 15 years with low hours with no ill effects. Yes, I said 15 YEARS!
Old 80' Kubota ran every now and then for those 15 years. One day I pulled it out of the weeds that grew up through the floor and driver seat, checked the fluids, aired up the tires and she fired right up. Same fuel, oil, hydro fluids, etc for those 15 years.
I started it up and ran it straight for 8 hours plowing a field. This isn't hearsay from some guy on the internet it was my tractor. The only regret is I didn't film it but cell phones weren't that prevalent at the time.

I eventually changed all the fluids and sold it and the new owner was thrilled how she ran.

I also went three years with one oil change and 60K miles on a new vehicle that was tied up in a Lemon Law case. I vowed NEVER to spend a dime on that lemon, so I never changed the oil for the three years it took to settle the case.