Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results #41  
I had always assumed it would take an ecu flash but this thread ( i haven't fully finished reading it yet) made me wonder if not just adding a larger turbo could get me there.

This thread has got me thinking a little anyways.

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results #42  
So if you you get about a 20 hp bump in pto hp which more than doubles it from Kubota I assume you can easily run stationary attachments like a bigger pto generator, wood chipper etc?

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results #43  
My L2501 operators manual has an implements limitation section stating a max cutting width for a rotary cutter of 60" and a box blade width of 52". Does anyone know what widths are spec'd by Kubota for the L3901?

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results #44  
So if you you get about a 20 hp bump in pto hp which more than doubles it from Kubota I assume you can easily run stationary attachments like a bigger pto generator, wood chipper etc?
You can't make more HP without making more heat. That heat has to be expelled through the cooling system. The same cooling system that was designed for less HP. Will that radiator be enough when performing a demanding power pull for long periods? What if your radiator is half plugged with chaff and grass? It is just something to think of when doing this mod.

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results #46  
Congratulations on what you consider a great and low cost modification, hopefully everything keeps working the way you like it to work !

personally I would have just spent the money for a bigger tractor, my newest tractor is T4 and now has 300 trouble free hours on it but I have no problem running it following the owners manual recommendations .

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results

Yes. That is correct. You can run larger stationary attachments.

Running a 15kw generator was one of the reasons for this modification.

Mike

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results
My L2501 operators manual has an implements limitation section stating a max cutting width for a rotary cutter of 60" and a box blade width of 52". Does anyone know what widths are spec'd by Kubota for the L3901?

Yep, you can definitely run the larger spec implements with the Turbo Kit. The box blade width restriction/recommendation is due to the width of the tractor. But, a larger box blade can be used.

Mike

You can't make more HP without making more heat. That heat has to be expelled through the cooling system. The same cooling system that was designed for less HP. Will that radiator be enough when performing a demanding power pull for long periods? What if your radiator is half plugged with chaff and grass? It is just something to think of when doing this mod.

Absolutely. However, the factory D1703 cooling system has been more than adequate to deal with the increased heat from the Turbo kit. The tractor has been ran for over 8 hours straight grading without a single hiccup in challenging conditions.

Mike

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results #50  
FWIW, I wouldn't do this mod to my recently purchased L2501 still under factory warranty that cost me a premium price relative to other tractor brands, but it could be more appealing to someone if they found a good deal on a used L2501, but needed more than 25 hp for their specific use case. Used L2501s do pop up from time to time.