Comparison Kubota L3301 vs L3800

/ Kubota L3301 vs L3800 #41  
I've run both. The 3200 and L3301, and the L3800 and the L3901 so I can compare them.

The 01's have more power and it's obvious once you load the engine. The 01's governor is electronic. When bush hogging, I was watching the PTO speed...no load cutter turned off, engine was at 2560 RPM. Turn the bush hog on and RPM drops initially to around 2500, then recovers and holds 2550-2560. Loaded, it stays right around 2560 RPM until the load overcomes the available engine torque, which honestly is pretty tough especially on the 3901. The engine is quieter than the 00 series. The engine itself is simpler...no governor inside the engine and one less camshaft. Only one now instead of two. The L01's are not just 3200 and 3800 engines with electronic injection-they are almost altogether different. Common rail electronic injection, injector placement is way different, cylinder head different, pistons different, etc. It is superior to the L00's in that sense. The tractor itself has a more curved hood, and you get a little better visibility if you're using the loader. Speaking of loader-the LA525 does have a slightly higher lift capacity than the LA524 that came on the L3200/3800. Splitting hairs there.

The complexity is something that owners are all concerned about and as a technician that deals with them, I am concerned on behalf of the owners. Thus far, there have been some issues with crank sensors and errors between the sensor and ECU, but we "think" Kubota has those issues ironed out. There will most likely be a campaign to fix the early ones.

The L01 3 point hitch is very slightly different in reference to the position control valve, but it's still almost the same as the L00's were. Just minor difference and smooths the lift a little. The jerky lifts on the 3800's were usually due to (1) it was a "cheap" tractor (lacked the shock control that the Grand L series had) and (2) some of them had a misadjusted position control valve. Or (3) the combination of the 2.

What I didn't like about the L01 series is the cheap plastic seat. It flexes and if you turn around to the right, the seat flexes just enough to lift the OPC switch and kill the engine. Easy fix but aggravating to have to deal with it. DPF is here to stay from here on out. Lot of people went out and bought the last of the 3200/3800's and that's all fine, but what happens when the 3200 they just bought is no longer supported by Kubota due to age and/or government intervention? Which we are already seeing (government intervention...) Might as well get used to the DPF. Or keep buying used tractors.

THe L2501 is also out...and gets rave reviews. It's an L3200 that turns less RPM. Does not have CRS and DPF, it is an L3200 with minor changes in the transmission to accomodate the reduced engine speed. Been popular here. Is it possible to make an L2501 in to an L3200? Absolutely-but there are a lot of parts to change and a lot of work to do it. Governor arm/fork, pump, springs, stoppers, then gearing inside of the transmsission, etc. More work than it's worth.

Absolutely nothing wrong at all with the L01's now that the issues with the early ones have been addressed.

Using the DPF is really nothing to it. If you're not wanting to regen, hit the button (DPF inhibit). If you've got the motor at 2200+ RPM and under a load, say mowing or bush hogging, it regen's on it's own and you never know it. Other than the light in the dash comes on to let you know it's doing what it's supposed to. That's it. Nothing to it. You get more HP, more torque, better engine response to load changes, uses less fuel on average (does use more during regen). Downside-complexity. Time will tell how well the systems work but thus far, nary a problem. DPF will need to be cleaned at some point and as of right now it's not cheap-but as more and more tractors get them and they get pulled/cleaned more, the prices will come down. Maintenance of the engine is identical to the L3200 as far as oil changes, but you'll have to be sure to use the correct oil (they call for 5W40 CJ-4 rating). Use of other oil may cause faster DPF clogging and perhaps even more frequent regen and extreme cases, a DPF replacement. Trucks have had these systems for a few years and they're pretty well maintainance free for most people. Even though maintenance is about the same, you cant just neglect them like you can a 3200 and expect it to be as trouble free. It don't work that way. Exactly like comparing the old 7.3 Power-less-stroke engine to the 6.0. The 6.0 is a better engine by far in a lot of ways, but people with 6.0's found out that you just can't change oil every 5000 miles and run the pee out of it and expect it to last as long as the old T444E's. At least that's been our experience with them-and the same so far with the L01 series Kubota's.

Kubota didn't want to do the DPF, but they had to. Same story for all of the manufacturers. The DPF system has been in use and tested for a few years, since roughly 2008, on prototypes. Everyone knew it was coming. Everyone was able to buy credits to allow them to run Tier 3 and Interim Tier 4 engines but once those credits ran out they had no choice. So really it's not a new engine or new systems.

Thank you for that thorough and insightful explanation of the changes in the new 01 series.

/ Kubota L3301 vs L3800 #42  
Very informative reply junkyardwarrior! I'll add this to the tier 4 final. After a dozen years as a diesel mechanic followed by a career as a welder/fabricator, I didn't take very good care of my lungs. Any smoke bothers me, but particularly diesel smoke. I can work all day on my L3901 and not feel it a bit!

/ Kubota L3301 vs L3800 #43  
Well said junkyardwarrior, and thanks for taking the time to break it down for folks.

/ Kubota L3301 vs L3800 #44  
I bought an L-3200 for a few reasons, mostly I needed a tractor and the used equipment in my area was all well used. I wanted to avoid final Tier 4 emissions and Kubota has a good reputation and solid local service.

Pre-electronics and no particulate filter was a seller, they projected $1500-2000 price increase for Tier 4. The only complaint is the hitchy hydraulics which are the problem everyone has with this model. Otherwise the tractor has been wonderful, easy to operate and runs the mower and blade with zero problems. Good fuel consumption and HST makes work a snap.

I'd go for the older model with less electronics, given the choice of two tractors of comparable price, size and condition.

/ Kubota L3301 vs L3800 #45  
I'd go for the older model with less electronics, given the choice of two tractors of comparable price, size and condition.

Don't blame you! Thing I'm seeing, however, is that everyone else is in the same boat. Tiers 2,3, and interim 4 tractors are getting harder to find in good condition. And Kubota does not have to support them for more than 5 years-which is coming up quick. In a few years, we probably won't be able to repair those old engines due to lack of parts. We're already seeing it with the M series. 9540 in the shop needs an engine. Not in stock in the USA, they want us to put a Tier 4 on it-which also means installing a DPF and all new electronics. If I were a customer and this was my tractor, I'd be pissed to no end. But what do you do? You sure can't fight the EPA. They're looking for an engine and I'm eagerly awaiting good news.

Same deal with the old Ford super duty trucks. Used to everyone had a 7.3. Then the 6.0 came out. Then the 6.4, then 6.7's. The 6.0 was first with EGR, then came the DPF's with the 6.4's-and the headaches that go along with all of it (we all know of the 6.0 debacle). And by about 2008, the people who wanted a super duty wanted a 7.3 and supposedly they were hard to find. I wouldn't want a 6.0 or later either but they do run a LOT better than the old 7.3's did-once you get past the headaches. Thing about the 7.3s was that people could easily "forget" about maintenance and they'd still run for a few hundred thousand miles. You won't do that with a 6.0, 6.4 and for sure a 6.7 before we start putting expensive parts on them. But once the old 7.3 super duty trucks starting getting miled and hour'd out, people aren't paying anything for them...everyone says they want one to avoid "emissions crap" but if the demand were so high and supply so low, then the prices would reflect. I'm just not seeing it. Same for the L3200's and L2800's. You'd think that everyone would want one since they were pre-DPF but I'm not seeing it.

The L3301 has been, thus far, impressive.

/ Kubota L3301 vs L3800 #46  
"What I didn't like about the L01 series is the cheap plastic seat. It flexes and if you turn around to the right, the seat flexes just enough to lift the OPC switch and kill the engine. Easy fix but aggravating to have to deal with it."

Found this issue with my L3901 as well. The seat is actually very comfortable, but do notice it wants to shut down when I shift to the right. Other than zip tying the switch down, what is the easy fix?

/ Kubota L3301 vs L3800 #47  
"What I didn't like about the L01 series is the cheap plastic seat. It flexes and if you turn around to the right, the seat flexes just enough to lift the OPC switch and kill the engine. Easy fix but aggravating to have to deal with it."

Found this issue with my L3901 as well. The seat is actually very comfortable, but do notice it wants to shut down when I shift to the right. Other than zip tying the switch down, what is the easy fix?

This was the very first problem and "fix" performed on my L3301. It probably had less than 2 hours on it. You couldn't even lean out to view around the hood at what you were scraping with the loader. That's all I did though was put a zip tie around the lever. Not my style but I don't want anything permanent till it's out of warranty. For good reason, it's at the dealer now getting the case split for an oil leak with 270ish hours on it

/ Kubota L3301 vs L3800 #48  
Thanks and sorry for your troubles with the oil leak...bummer:eek:

/ Kubota L3301 vs L3800 #49  
Yeah big bummer. And just got worse. My dealer has been pretty good to me until today. I'll wait and see how it pans out tomorrow before I rant too much. Heads are gonna roll though

/ Kubota L3301 vs L3800 #50  
Yeah big bummer. And just got worse. My dealer has been pretty good to me until today. I'll wait and see how it pans out tomorrow before I rant too much. Heads are gonna roll though

How did you make out? Hopefully the silence is not due to you being held in lockup for decapitating the dealer!! Lol.