Backhoe Kubota L35 Backhoe (BT900) bucket failure

/ Kubota L35 Backhoe (BT900) bucket failure #1  

Ken_f

Tractor
B2410 / BX2230 / RTV-X1100CW-H
A friend of mine was out clearing brush and noticed that the side of the 24in bucket was splitting. Upon further inspection we discovered that the other side was splitting the same way. It's amazing that it would fail this way. He is heading off to the dealer tomorrow to see what can be done with this problem.

Attached is the real bad side (outside)

Attachments

• 302992-bh-1.jpg
    302992-bh-1.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 1,582
   / Kubota L35 Backhoe (BT900) bucket failure
Bad side inside

Attachments

• 302995-bh-2.jpg
    302995-bh-2.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 1,165
Other side (outside) Notice that its cracking in the EXACT same place.

Other side (inside) crack

Attachments

• 303008-bh-4.jpg
    303008-bh-4.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 844
   / Kubota L35 Backhoe (BT900) bucket failure #5  
I would say you probably have a bad casting...it happens sometimes when things are made. Your dealer is the best place to get assistance.

/ Kubota L35 Backhoe (BT900) bucket failure #6  
Please keep us updated on the situation...

How old is the bucket? Mine are not castings from what I can see, but rather what I would guess is hot rolled steel formed to shape and welded together.

Sure doesn't seem right that a bucket would crack like that. Maybe some stress in the steel as the result of welding the thing together?

Hope things work out like they should...and that the dealer stands behind his product...

/ Kubota L35 Backhoe (BT900) bucket failure #7  
Hi Ken,

That looks like pretty severe fatigue... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

What exactly does your friend do most of the time with the bh?

Take a look at some of his cylinders for any distortion/bending of the rods... normally the two go hand in hand...

/ Kubota L35 Backhoe (BT900) bucket failure #8  
Haven't seen any real problems with these buckets yet and fortunatly haven't seen this problem. How many hours are on this unit and what type of work does he normally do with it?

/ Kubota L35 Backhoe (BT900) bucket failure #9  
I think Henro is on the right track - it looks like insufficient stress relief during original manufacture. The bucket is mostly made of low-alloy steel (for strength with ductility). But the front edge pieces and teeth have higher carbon for wear resistance. This also makes them more brittle - so technique is more important when welding the bucket together.

My guess is that the teeth were welded on AFTER the edge was welded on. As the tooth welds cooled, the shrinkage left a lot of residual stress in the edge piece because it was being restrained by the connection along the back. The cracks start at the front and migrate toward the sides as they go back because of the resraint along the back.

The cracks could have been there since new, or could have formed from something as simple as water freezing in the bucket, where the residual stress helped it break. The opening up of the one side is due to normal use after the cracks formed.

If this guess is accurate, the problem could have been avoided by different welding sequence, or by preheating more of the bucket before welding the teeth on.

/ Kubota L35 Backhoe (BT900) bucket failure #10  
Several weeks ago we were having a septic field dug and I noticed some unusual welds on the 24", Case backhoe bucket. The weld fillets on the outer 1 or 2 teeth had to extend out past the sides of the tooth 3/4" to 1". Also, the fillets were pretty thick. I asked the operator (owners son) about them and he said that they found welding the teeth that way made the bucket and teeth last longer. He mentioned that the outer parts of the bucket are what usually failed. Maybe they are onto something.