Kubota L35 Third Function Valve Install

/ Kubota L35 Third Function Valve Install #1  

2506shooter

Tractor
Kubota L35
I finally broke down and picked up a third function kit and a grapple for my Kubota L35.
I bought this kit from Summit Hydraulics
summit-hydraulics.com/product/hydraulic-third-function-valve-kit-w-joystick-handle-for-tractor-loader-21-gpm/
And I got this grapple:
mtlattachments.com/attachments/72-mtl-hd-root-grapple
Also got the WR Long quick tach pin on adapter.

And then the adventure began. I made a mounting bracket, twice. Two trips to the tractor parts store for hydraulic hoses. Two trips to Napa for fittings because I forgot one. And one reorder because they left out some of the electrical components when Summit shipped the valve.

And it still doesn't work.

The backhoe works fine and the third function has pressure but the front bucket valve has so little pressure it won't move. I'm using the power beyond port out of the FEL valve to feed the new valve and the power beyond port on the new valve to feed the backhoe. Backhoe works fine so the pressure is correct passing through.
I'm at a loss.
Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Screenshot_20200104-205107_Photos.jpgScreenshot_20200104-205005_Photos.jpgScreenshot_20200104-204437_Photos.jpg20200108_101317.jpg

/ Kubota L35 Third Function Valve Install #2  
I did a similar installation on my B21.
Your drawing looks correct.
My next step would be to re-attach the FEL power beyond port to the backhoe inlet. In other words take the new valve out of the circuit. Then see if the FEL starts working again. That would isolate the problem to the new valve.

/ Kubota L35 Third Function Valve Install #3  
If it’s plumbed correctly maybe you got a chunk of debris in something. QDs are a common culprit. Is the new valve working correctly?

The link you attached doesn’t work. Can you post it again?

/ Kubota L35 Third Function Valve Install #4  
Just a couple of thoughts,
leaving your FEL valve did you use a power beyond fitting or just a hydraulic fitting?
To Infinity and power beyond

Also how do you control your third function, are you using a 3 position switch applying pressure from one port in one position,
no outputs in one, and pressure on the other port in the third position.

/ Kubota L35 Third Function Valve Install #5  
Just a couple of thoughts,
leaving your FEL valve did you use a power beyond fitting or just a hydraulic fitting?
To Infinity and power beyond

Also how do you control your third function, are you using a 3 position switch applying pressure from one port in one position,
no outputs in one, and pressure on the other port in the third position.

/ Kubota L35 Third Function Valve Install
Update:
Got home early yesterday and was able to work on it some. I think (hope) the problem is solved. I called Summit Hydraulics and after some checking and a lot of back and forth it turns out I can't just buy the same adapter as the other ports to use in the power beyond port, it takes a special one.... Thank you LouNY.
Power Beyond Adapter Sleeve for P8 & Z8 Series Summit Monoblock Valves
I guess if I had read a little deeper and not ***-u-me-d I would have known that and saved a lot of headache. Anyway, it's ordered and shipped.

I was also working through another issue I had. When I would push the button to activate the solenoid on the valve it would drop voltage and pulse like a turn signal. It checked out at 12.5v at the source and at the connector, but when activated it only read 9.6v. I thought I was being smart by using the headlight switch as an on/off switch (headlights burned out years ago, and won't be replaced) for the valve, except the 4 way flasher wire is right next to it. Guess which one I hooked to?

Looks like I have plenty of time to make a bracket to mount the connectors to the FEL.
I'll update again next week when the new part comes in and I can get it installed.

Thanks again!

ETA: For some reason it won't let me edit the OP to fix the links. I'll repost them here:

Summit Hydraulics Universal Third Function Valve 21gpm
Hydraulic Third / 3rd Function Valve Kit w/ Joystick Handle for Tractor/Loader, 21 GPM

MTL Grapple
219 MTL HD Root Grapple Buckets - $999 Special — MTL Attachments

WR Long Quick Tach
W.R. Long Pin on Tractor Loader Bucket to Universal Quick Attach Converter, Adapter | Free Ground Shipping for 1,000 miles!!
I ordered this local through a friend

Update #2

Got the power beyond adapter in and installed. It still doesn't work.

Long story short it works correctly if it is the only thing hooked up, but the pump sounds under pressure. When it's hooked up inline like it's supposed to fluid is fed to both work lines with activation of one solenoid and the pump sounds fine.

The only thing I can come up with is that it is an over volume problem with the return line since I had to tee into the existing one but that makes no sense since it works fine when just hooked to the FEL.

Can a hose come un laminated inside and collapse when put in certain positions?

/ Kubota L35 Third Function Valve Install #8  
Update #2

Got the power beyond adapter in and installed. It still doesn't work.

Long story short it works correctly if it is the only thing hooked up, but the pump sounds under pressure. When it's hooked up inline like it's supposed to fluid is fed to both work lines with activation of one solenoid and the pump sounds fine.

The only thing I can come up with is that it is an over volume problem with the return line since I had to tee into the existing one but that makes no sense since it works fine when just hooked to the FEL.

Can a hose come un laminated inside and collapse when put in certain positions?

Looking a bit deeper into your system,
did you install the power beyond into your new valve?
Looking at your drawing your FEL valve should have had a power beyond already installed in it.
Then did you install the new power beyond into your new 3rd function valve?
I didn't look deep into that valve but;

P Port: Connects to equipments power beyond port
T Port: Connects to return line / tank reservoir
A & B Ports: Connect to cylinder lines

So the power beyond from your FEL connected to the P port,
the T port is tee'ed into your existing return line,
the A & B ports go to you new cylinder,

was there another port identified for the new power beyond plug to be installed in?

You state that when activating one solenoid you are getting fluid to both work ports?
Is it connected to a cylinder or just open ended hoses?
one port should have system pressure, the other should be just minimal system return pressure.

Yes to all the above.
I took both work lines off of the grapple to make sure I had all air out of the lines and realized that when one side of the valve was actuated both lines were pressurized.

I just went and picked up a check valve and installed it in the return line off of the new valve and before the tee. The grapple functions now but only opens when the solenoid is bumped. It closes like normal.

I've called Summit and they're sending me a new valve to try. Maybe that's what's wrong. Please let me know if you have any other thoughts.

/ Kubota L35 Third Function Valve Install #10  
Where did you plumb the PB line on the new valve?

It does have the markings on the valve body. P is pressure coming from the loader valve. T is tank and N is the power beyond port where you put the sleeve on.

I wouldn't install that check valve as it can cause issues if installed the wrong way. A well connected system won't need that.