Kubota L3540 Fluid change??

/ Kubota L3540 Fluid change?? #1  

hunt4570

Tractor
Grand L3540 ,724 loader, bucket, grapple and now forks also! And just for OP.. a pool!
Ok, I have a Kubota L3540 HST with loader. Changed the trans/hydraulic fluid and filters today. Followed my manual to the letter, drained the system, R&R both filters, the book says it takes 11.1 gallons of fluid, I put in 10 gallons and the dipstick says I'm quite a bit overfilled. Let it run for a while (per book) before operating the tractor, still over full, went for a ride, raising and lowering the bucket and such and still overfilled. Why, and should I drain some fluid out?
Thanks.

/ Kubota L3540 Fluid change?? #2  
I never get 100% of the fluid drained. The OEM fluid capacity spec includes the fluid in the loader rams and hydraulic hoses, plus imagine getting all of the oil out of a very large irregularly shaped container.
Drain to the correct level and you're done!

/ Kubota L3540 Fluid change??
I never get 100% of the fluid drained. The OEM fluid capacity spec includes the fluid in the loader rams and hydraulic hoses, plus imagine getting all of the oil out of a very large irregularly shaped container.
Drain to the correct level and you're done!
Thanks, I was afraid you were going to say that.

/ Kubota L3540 Fluid change?? #4  
Does your 40 series have a dipstick for the hydraulic fluid, or the sight glass? Reason I ask, is that the sight widows are notoriously difficult to accurately read.
On my previous L3410 I would take a final check of the sight glass level after the tractor sat unused on a level surface overnight.

/ Kubota L3540 Fluid change?? #5  
Grand L 40's have a dipstick in the rear Diff housing. If you have a simple hand pump, stick a tube down in there and pump some out to avoid the nightmare mess of pulling one of the drain plugs just to take out a couple quarts. If you don't perhaps a trip to an auto parts or farm/equipment store is in order to get a simple/cheap hand plunger pump.

Does your 40 series have a dipstick for the hydraulic fluid, or the sight glass? Reason I ask, is that the sight widows are notoriously difficult to accurately read.
On my previous L3410 I would take a final check of the sight glass level after the tractor sat unused on a level surface overnight.
It, as stated above, has a dipstick. My last one a 3010 had the window.

Grand L 40's have a dipstick in the rear Diff housing. If you have a simple hand pump, stick a tube down in there and pump some out to avoid the nightmare mess of pulling one of the drain plugs just to take out a couple quarts. If you don't perhaps a trip to an auto parts or farm/equipment store is in order to get a simple/cheap hand plunger pump.
I do have a suction pump I may try it, just afraid the volume is too much. I'll let you know, heading that way now.

So I tried my suction gun, about the size of a grease gun, it would have taken me all day, maybe all week, so I pulled one of the rear plugs, oily hands but a done deal!

So kinda on the same line, yesterday I was in TSC , was thinking about one of those pumps to transfer my fluid from the 5 gallon bucket instead of muscling it in there, read the instructions and it said each pump equaled 3 ounces.... so 10 pumps per quart and I needed to put in 10 gallons.. talk about a no go!

/ Kubota L3540 Fluid change?? #10  
I have a small hand pump I used to fill mine on the 400 hr fluid change. It took a while as it does not pull much per stroke like you found, but the time actually goes pretty fast and I didn't have to balance those heavy 2.5gal containers over a funnel in the air...

Glad you got 'er dun