Kubota L3940 vs L4240 vs L4740

/ Kubota L3940 vs L4240 vs L4740 #1  

dknowlesjr

Tractor
Kubota
I am in the market for a tractor. I have purchased property that has some river frontage. The house site is at the top of the property and than there is a road that leads down to the bottom of the property that flattens out and goes down to the river. I am in the process of clearing the bottom part of the property that goes to the river. I plan to keep this finish mowed and use it for recreation. The house site will be also be cleared and kept finish mowed as well until I build in approximately 3 years. I want a tractor that I can use to clear parts of this property, keep up with mowing, and help with the construction of the home (everything but digging the basement). The property does have a steep slope that we have cut a road down the side. This will need to maintained and graveled eventually. I have also had some requests from fellow neighbors to help clear their lots along the river as well so this could also be a potential income source for the machine. I want a really good all around machine that can pretty much do anything. I grew up around tractors and heavy equipment as my family operated a construction business so I am not what you would call a newbie but this will be my first tractor purchase. I had my search narrowed down to the L3940 or L4240 with loader and BH92 backhoe. I stopped by the dealer this morning and this is what he has suggested. He thinks the size tractor is perfect for what I want to do but he recommends getting a cab. He says that most all the grand L series tractors he sells of this size people get the cabs. He says he sells maybe 5 or 6 grand L series tractors a year without cabs and does not stock them but of course he can order them. I had not really thought about a cab before because I thought for what I wanted to do it may seem a little silly but after driving one and hearing about the benefits of heat in the winter and ac in the summer it sounds great. So this is the pricing that i was given:

L3940HST w/ Cab Heat&AC and R4 tires
LA 724 Loader w/ Quick Attach and 72" bucket
BH92 Backhoe w/ sub frame and 16" bucket $39,612

L4240HST w/ Cab Heat&AC and R4 tires
LA 854 Loader w/ Quick Attach and 72" bucket
BH92 Backhoe w/ sub frame and 16" bucket $41,362

L4740HST w/ Cab Heat&AC and R4 tires
LA 854 Loader w/ Quick Attach and 72" bucket
BH92 Backhoe w/ sub frame and 16" bucket $42,956

Basically the Cab Heat & Ac adds about $6,500. I wanted to get some opinions. There is not much price difference here.

David-

/ Kubota L3940 vs L4240 vs L4740 #2  
With all the work that you will be doing, I suggest that you plan on getting some remote hydraulics. One for the front loader to operate the grapple that you are going to need. 3 for the rear, 2 to be used with a Top and Tilt kit and the 3rd to be used on an implement itself. Either hydraulic actuated rippers on a box blade or an angle hydraulic on a rear blade.

Anyway, just a suggestion, good luck with your research and finial decision. ;)

/ Kubota L3940 vs L4240 vs L4740 #3  
As the owner of a L4240 HSTC;I have found it has done all I have asked.I don't have a back-hoe for mine.I would go for a little more HP(L4740) with a hoe.I run a 8ft.snow plow,7 rear blade,roto-tiller,two botttom plows.I have a thumb on the bucket,which was a great addittion.The larger L's have the L854 loader which is advantage over the L723 on the L3940.Can't go wrong with any of these machines.

/ Kubota L3940 vs L4240 vs L4740
As the owner of a L4240 HSTC;I have found it has done all I have asked.I don't have a back-hoe for mine.I would go for a little more HP(L4740) with a hoe.I run a 8ft.snow plow,7 rear blade,roto-tiller,two botttom plows.I have a thumb on the bucket,which was a great addittion.The larger L's have the L854 loader which is advantage over the L723 on the L3940.Can't go wrong with any of these machines.

The L854 loader was why I was looking at the L4240 over the L3940. I, too, was thinking about the backhoe on the L4740 and how that would outperform the backhoe on the L4240, as it is run off the tractor's hydraulics. Do you agree with his suggestion about the cab? Do you think the cab is worth $6,500. Any other input?

I understand that I can get up to 3 remote hydraulics. On the build my kubota, if you select remote hydraulics it asked, double acting valves or float detent valves and pick a total of 3. What is the difference? I know that they can be used for top n tilt but which ones do you need for what. Is it possible to have top n tilt with a backhoe?

David-

/ Kubota L3940 vs L4240 vs L4740 #5  
To me the only reason to get the 4740 over the 4240 would be if you need the extra PTO HP. The 4740 would allow you to run a slightly bigger mower, that usually applies to rough cut mowers though. For the BH, you're not going to see a bit of difference between the 4240 and 4740. Both have more than enough power to operate it and AFAIK they both have the same hydraulic flow. My advice would be to get the 4240 and spend the $1600 on an attachment like a grading scraper to maintain gravel (unless your plan is to pave) driveway.

You already know about the larger loader between the 3940 and 4240, that's the biggest advantage for going up in size, so I'm not going to go into it.

The cab is personal choice. Does it get hot there? If so a cab would be nice while mowing. Of course if you mow in the morning or evening then you can get around that. Does it get cold while you'll be needing the tractor? Again sitting in a warm cab is nice. For me I like being out in the open. I like the smell and being in the elements more than most. As to why your dealer sells more cabs, the GL line of tractors is the top of the line. People who buy them are more likely to have more money to spend and can put it towards the extra features.

/ Kubota L3940 vs L4240 vs L4740 #6  
I would be more concerned with the weight of a BH,Hydraulics are the same.The cab allows you to do your work regardless of the weather.I plow about two miles total in the winter,used to do it with an open station L3130.Air is nice in the summer months and that bee's nest I ran over while bush-hogging didn't bother me one bit.

/ Kubota L3940 vs L4240 vs L4740 #7  
crazyal said:
To me the only reason to get the 4740 over the 4240 would be if you need the extra PTO HP. The 4740 would allow you to run a slightly bigger mower, that usually applies to rough cut mowers though. For the BH, you're not going to see a bit of difference between the 4240 and 4740. Both have more than enough power to operate it and AFAIK they both have the same hydraulic flow. My advice would be to get the 4240 and spend the $1600 on an attachment like a grading scraper to maintain gravel (unless your plan is to pave) driveway.

You already know about the larger loader between the 3940 and 4240, that's the biggest advantage for going up in size, so I'm not going to go into it.

The cab is personal choice. Does it get hot there? If so a cab would be nice while mowing. Of course if you mow in the morning or evening then you can get around that. Does it get cold while you'll be needing the tractor? Again sitting in a warm cab is nice. For me I like being out in the open. I like the smell and being in the elements more than most. As to why your dealer sells more cabs, the GL line of tractors is the top of the line. People who buy them are more likely to have more money to spend and can put it towards the extra features.

Well said. +1 on the 4240.

/ Kubota L3940 vs L4240 vs L4740 #8  
:welcome: to the forum. I have a L4240 cab. I started out looking at a 3540 and then went to the 3940 because it was 4 cylinder and then went to a L4240 beacuse of the 854 loader. I love the tractor it has tons of power. I really love the cab on it. You never have to worry about being hot or cold. I have a tnt and 2 remotes. I got one double acting for the toplink which just runs it in and out and float for the sidelink which runs it up and down or I can put it into detent and it will float. Another thing you may want to consider is a 3rd function for the loader. They list for $899 but are well worth it because it takes the better part of a day for them to install it. Are you from Front Royal, VA?

/ Kubota L3940 vs L4240 vs L4740 #9  
I personally would shy away from the cab, I too like being outside. Plus, with needing to get into the woods I have, the rops alone get in the way. So, just think about your overhead clearance. A guy down the road has a fiberglass sun shade on his tractor. He's mentioned how it's taken a beating in his woods. Unless you're going to be putting at least a few hundred hours a year on this tractor and live down south, I would skip the cab and get some nice toys, I mean tools for that tractor. Also, I would recommend either the 3940 or 4240. Be careful with how much you lift with the FEL, too. I guy I know up north with a L5030 trashed a front wheel bearing. His FEL was strong enough to pick up a rock, but the bearing couldn't handle the bumps on his road. Looking at the size of his front axle, it seems about the size of my 3540's. All the grand L's are very similar in size/weight and the smaller ones in the series might be more robust/HP. I would also avoid an engine with a turbo. Personally, I just like naturally aspirated. I think they use less fuel and have more low rpm torque. The JD 3520 has an engine with about the same HP, but is only about 90 cu. in. w/ turbo compared to my 110 cu. in. Take care and have fun tractorin'.

/ Kubota L3940 vs L4240 vs L4740 #10  
Also wanted to say that you should get a set of forks for that tractor. I use mine in the spring and can take out up to 8 in red maple stumps by piercing them through the soil and under the stump. A little work with lift and tilt and they come up. I feel my 3540 has just enough HP for what I do, but do wish it had just a tad more.