Kubota L5740 "Error - 40" code.

/ Kubota L5740 "Error - 40" code. #1  

BufordBoone

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 & M7060
My 2013 L5740 won't start. It is a cabbed model.

I turn the key and get "Error-40". It won't even turn over.

I looked this up in the shop manual and see it says: Input voltage to sensor from ECU is failed. Probable cause is Sensor input voltage drop below 2.6 V for 0.1 second or more Ground wire of lever sensor short-circuited

Remedy is shown as: Check the ground cable Check the input voltage at ECU connector Check the sensor connector

I found the main ground cable but I can't find the ECU ground cable. There is a photo in the manual but it is so close up that I can't tell where the ECU is located.

I've gone thru every fuse I can find. I've taken the dashboard off. I've checked the battery (original) and it has more than 12 Volts both on the terminals and on the connectors (showing the connectors are not loose).

Does anyone know where the ECU is located?

Anyone else ever had the "Error-40" code? What did you do to fix it?

Thanks, in advance, for any help you may be able to provide.

/ Kubota L5740 "Error - 40" code. #2  
Just because the cables have 12 volts under close to zero load doesn’t mean all the connections are good. Try checking the voltage at the starter while you attempt to start it and see if it maintains 12 volts.

/ Kubota L5740 "Error - 40" code.
I'll give that a try, 4570 man but the starter doesn't even turn over if I try to turn the key.

/ Kubota L5740 "Error - 40" code. #4  
Does the starter attempt to engage or make any noise at all? I’m betting either your 7 year old battery is done for or there’s a bad connection somewhere.

/ Kubota L5740 "Error - 40" code. #5  
Here is a picture from the WSM. Doesn't help much but it looks like it's under the parking brake I believe.

kubotaECU.jpg

Here is a picture from the WSM. Doesn't help much but it looks like it's under the parking brake I believe.

View attachment 640752

Thanks, ptsg. That is one photo I have that I can't figure out where it is. By "parking brake" do you mean the lever I pull to lock the brakes?

The other picture (which I can't seem to figure out how to attach) is above that one you posted on page 9-S39

Edit - Typed this in reply to a recommendation about winching the tractor onto a trailer. Don't see that reply any more.

It is going to have to be winched from the front as it has a mower attached to the back. I can disconnect the mower but have no way to move it once disconnected. I had thought of using my M7060 to lift the L5740 loader.

Guess I could detach the mower from the little tractor and use the M7060 to move it then could winch the tractor backward.

Thanks to all for the quick responses.

Last edited:
Does the starter attempt to engage or make any noise at all? I’m betting either your 7 year old battery is done for or there’s a bad connection somewhere.

Nope, no attempting to engage or making any noise. Perhaps I'll hook up some jumper cables and try to jump start it.

/ Kubota L5740 "Error - 40" code. #9  
Nope, no attempting to engage or making any noise. Perhaps I'll hook up some jumper cables and try to jump start it.

That’s what I would do before putting much effort into it.

/ Kubota L5740 "Error - 40" code. #10  
Edit - Typed this in reply to a recommendation about winching the tractor onto a trailer. Don't see that reply any more.

It is going to have to be winched from the front as it has a mower attached to the back. I can disconnect the mower but have no way to move it once disconnected. I had thought of using my M7060 to lift the L5740 loader.

Guess I could detach the mower from the little tractor and use the M7060 to move it then could winch the tractor backward.

Thanks to all for the quick responses.

Sorry, somehow I replied to the wrong thread. Realizing that I deleted my comment. I have since replied in the proper place. Sorry for any confusion.