Kubota LX4020 Already Having Problems

/ Kubota LX4020 Already Having Problems #21  
It may be that the tractor needs to have HST+ in order to have operator panel control over all the optional ways of configuring the throttle response. At least that is how it used to be.

For those who like tractors - and BTW, Cashaba has owned several - anyway, you all owe it to yourself to at least try a Kubota with the HST+ tranny. Nobody else has anything like it and it is a super handy feature. At least give it a try so you can play with those throttle settings.

We've had one with HST+ for 17 years now. Amazing that something so good is still such a secret.

rScotty

Totally agree with the HST+
I had told myself for years,
that it was just a gimmick
It just adds complexity and I didn’t need it
After just a few hours with it, I’m not sure I’ll ever own a tractor without it again.

/ Kubota LX4020 Already Having Problems #22  
The mechanical linked throttle on my Branson is really useful. It's not jerky or weird at all. I leave the hand throttle in "idle" and let the auto throttle work when I'm just driving around where it's not too steep. If it's steep or I'm operating an implement I set the hand throttle.

The drawback to the linked throttle being mechanical is that it does not take the range transmission gear into account. So it's plenty of throttle in low range but not too much or annoying, and in low range I usually use the hand throttle anyhow. It's enough for most driving around uses in medium range but not enough in high. For high range I have to use the hand throttle to get enough power to move the machine. If it were electronic and knew what range the trans was in it could adjust.

/ Kubota LX4020 Already Having Problems
Totally agree with the HST+
I had told myself for years,
that it was just a gimmick
It just adds complexity and I didn’t need it
After just a few hours with it, I’m not sure I’ll ever own a tractor without it again.
Yeah, that was the same experience I got from it. Scotty has always been right about it.

The mechanical linked throttle on my Branson is really useful. It's not jerky or weird at all. I leave the hand throttle in "idle" and let the auto throttle work when I'm just driving around where it's not too steep. If it's steep or I'm operating an implement I set the hand throttle.

The drawback to the linked throttle being mechanical is that it does not take the range transmission gear into account. So it's plenty of throttle in low range but not too much or annoying, and in low range I usually use the hand throttle anyhow. It's enough for most driving around uses in medium range but not enough in high. For high range I have to use the hand throttle to get enough power to move the machine. If it were electronic and knew what range the trans was in it could adjust.
I appreciate the feedback. Eric, do you have the ability to disengage the mechanically-linked throttle on your Branson?

/ Kubota LX4020 Already Having Problems #25  
I would think that the linked throttle (ATA) would be handy when doing loader work or snow plowing. Just set the hand throttle to the desired minimum and go to work. At pto speed, it would be a non-issue. JMO

/ Kubota LX4020 Already Having Problems #26  
I appreciate the feedback. Eric, do you have the ability to disengage the mechanically-linked throttle on your Branson?

It's just a cable so I could slip it out of its lever. But I've never wanted to disable it. It's never bothered me and I'm pretty picky about machine controls working right. I wouldn't say that I would not buy another tractor without it, but it's pretty useful. It keeps the revs lower than I normally would set the hand throttle to.

/ Kubota LX4020 Already Having Problems #27  
I'm surprised you gentleman are asking me what is wrong with a tractor that is permanently stuck in Auto Throttle. But since you asked with sincerity I will explain.

Auto Throttle was originally designed as a premium feature for transport scenarios such as quickly traveling from one side of a property to another without having to manually adjust your RPMs. It behaves like a car or golf cart but is not a feature that you would want to use all the time or for PTO work. That particular tractor's biggest selling point is it offers above average PTO hp for that frame size machine. So permanently locking Auto Throttle into the tractor's transmission makes no sense.

Furthermore, from the little bit that I drove that tractor, it is jerky as hell. Having that much torque under a frame that light is already enough to contend with but forcing a tractor to behave like a car when it's supposed to be a tractor does not make for a good experience.

I think the question that you should be asking is why Kubota didn't just simply offer it as a feature that could be turned on and off instead of making it a permanent behavior of the machine.
It's a feature you would use all the time for loader work. And for PTO work you use the hand throttle just as it was designed for. So I still don't see your complaint? You can still drive the tractor at all speeds with the hand throttle bumped up to whatever RPM you want.

It's just a cable so I could slip it out of its lever. But I've never wanted to disable it. It's never bothered me and I'm pretty picky about machine controls working right. I wouldn't say that I would not buy another tractor without it, but it's pretty useful. It keeps the revs lower than I normally would set the hand throttle to.
Thanks for the feedback.

It's a feature you would use all the time for loader work. And for PTO work you use the hand throttle just as it was designed for. So I still don't see your complaint? You can still drive the tractor at all speeds with the hand throttle bumped up to whatever RPM you want.
The first issue for me is control. Not having the ability to separate engine RPM from pedal travel distance is is a reduction in control. There are scenarios where I am boxed into a tight space and want the ability to finesse my way around the obstacles without having to be concerned about the machine running away from me.

The other issue is it's not how I want a tractor to behave all the time. The more I learn about this the more I can see it's benefit and it's potential in different work scenarios but why does it have to be mandated instead of a feature that can be engaged or disengaged?

Finally, as I stated in a previous post, that particular tractor is very jerky to drive. When you let off the pedal it stops the wheels so fast they slide across the ground. It has no play or give in the pedal travel distance at all.

/ Kubota LX4020 Already Having Problems #30  
CVF...I understand what you are saying about separating the pedal from the throttle. My Kubota RTV900 also had the throttle and pedal connected and always wanted the separate throttle like a tractor normally is. I was glad that my Toolcat does have separate controls. But, I see the advantages to both designs.