Kubota M series VS, Mahindra 6000 series

/ Kubota M series VS, Mahindra 6000 series #1  

Sean2202

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L305DT
Greetings,

My father in law is looking for a new tractor for his farm 160 acres in upstate NY. He currently has a small Yanmar LX590 ( I believe) which is too small for the task of lifting large round bales everyday and traveling to the fields. He will be keeping this tractor as a backup and for smaller tasks. He has a few quick attach pieces for that tractor including , bucket, forks and bale spear attachment. On his 3 point he runs a large bushcutter which I believe is a woods 8.5 which requires 40-200 hp which he just purchased. He also runs a manure spreader, 3 point tiller, 3 bottom plow and some other smaller implements. He has 60 head of beef cattle and his property is very hilly and muddy. He also owns what I would call "A lake" (few acres probably) large body of water that keeps growing every year. Very swampy.

For his needs I was considering the Kubota M series and the Mahindra 6000 series. As far as HP he thinks that more is better but it comes with a price tag. For his use I feel he could get away with the M5660 SU Kubota. He refuses to have a cab. My choice between the Kubota and Mahindra is that the dealerships are the closest to him and he is not very mechanically inclined. I am somewhat familiar with Kubota M series but not the Mahindra. For the task of lifting large round bales and transporting them I know the Kubota has a factory option of 3rd function valve which I did not see with the Mahindra? Is it called something else? I chose the option of self leveling for ease of lifting the round bales on both units.

As far as Tires what would be better for mud and stability on hilly terrain Ag or Industrial? I see that Kubota has a wheel extension spacer kit. Curious if the rims on either tractor can be offset for better stability. I am also going to have the tires filled for stability. As far as rear wheel weights should we consider that as well? I see many listed on the "build my Kubota". One thing I did not see was a block heater on the Kubota?

The weight on the tractor as well. One thing I did not see is the actual tractor weight of each. I know Kubota's are generally lighter tractors and not sure what the specs are and if the lighter or heavier would make a difference for the hilly and muddy application.

Couple front attachments that would be of great value would be a way to lift round bales and and grip them which I think is called a bale squeezer. The bales are wrapped when they are delivered. Another attachment would be a way to clean the manure and bedding easily from the large cow barn floor where the cows are fed in the winter and load into the spreader. A manure bucket of some kind with teeth or a clamp? Anyone have any input on these?

Any input on either tractor, equipment options or attachments would be helpful.

Thanks
Sean

/ Kubota M series VS, Mahindra 6000 series #2  
The Kubota will be more expensive,easier to get parts,worth more down the road.Third function for "grapple/bale mover" should be an easy(not cheap) dealer install.Farm work means R1 tires(Ag) with all the rear weight you can add(loaded tires+rear weights).A rear scraper blade+loader bucket should handle manure chores.
A M7060,12 speed would be a good choice.

/ Kubota M series VS, Mahindra 6000 series #3  
Mahindra is very tempting because they cost so much less then Kubota. I have a few friends that own Mahindra, and they like what they have, but from what I've seen of their machines after a few years, I'm not impressed. In my opinion, Kubota is the gold standard in small to mid size tractors. Kind of like Honda is with small engines. Everyone else is compared to them, or how they are almost as good as a Kubota for less money. Deere M models are as good, and maybe better then the Kubota, but that's really splitting hairs and spending a lot more money for the M model Deere.

I plan on paying off my wife's van this year and then I will be seriously shopping for a cab tractor. I've already looked at quite a few used ones and there is a significant difference in how much wear is on the Mahindra's compared to similar used Kubota's. For me, it's worth spending the extra money on the Kubota since I believe it will hold up better over time.

/ Kubota M series VS, Mahindra 6000 series
On the Kubota there are a few different tire options with one being ; FRONT - 9.50-20 R1 Bridgestone Farm Service Lug M
REAR - 16.9-24 R1 Titan Hi Traction Lug TL 2.8"offset (MR8956 & MR8924B). Curious if this offset would make the tractor wider or narrower stance and if this may be a good option for the terrain?

As far as price wise with here is the tractors I speced with similar options

Kubota M7060 (64PTO HP)
4wd
ROPS
8 speed shuttle
Ag tires (BIAS)FRONT - 9.50-20 R1 Bridgestone Farm Service Lug M
REAR - 16.9-24 R1 Titan Hi Traction Lug TL 2.8"offset (MR8956 & MR8924B)
Loader LDR W QC & FRT GRD M6060/7060 M4-061/071 (LA1154A)
84" HIGH CAPACITY QUICK ATTACH ROUND BACK BUCKET (M1815)
3RD FUNCTION VALVE KIT (ROPS) (M7991)
REAR AXLE SPACER KIT (M9564)
Did not see an option for filling tires or block heater which I would want
Rough price on "build my Kubota" $45,300

Mahindra 6075 (61PTO HP)
6075 power shuttle (15 speed standard) ROPS
6075 4L bucket
Did not see a third function but checked "diverter valve" which may be comparable to third function?
78" material skid steer bucket
Block heater
Did not see an option for filling tires or offsetting tires
Rough price on "build Mahindra" $48,188

One thing I did not mention is the ability to remove the loader easily so it can be used for field work. Easily I mean 1 person 66 years old with little mechanical ability.

/ Kubota M series VS, Mahindra 6000 series #5  
Both are great tractors, but for commercial use where consistent reliability is a must for longterm farm profits, go with the Kubota. Fill the tires for safety and get the extra lights installed for those times you may need to work past sundown.

/ Kubota M series VS, Mahindra 6000 series #6  
I am a Mahindra guy, have 2 of them, a 75hp for 15 years and a 32hp for 13 years. Love both and have worked well for me over the years.

With your circumstances I would most likely go with the Kubota. I big change though, get the 12 speed and 3 rear remotes. 8 gears is simply not enough for this size tractor IMO and you never know when you might need to control multiple cylinders on an implement.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

/ Kubota M series VS, Mahindra 6000 series #7  
Sean2202;5873649 One thing I did not mention is the ability to remove the loader easily so it can be used for field work. Easily I mean 1 person 66 years old with little mechanical ability.[/QUOTE said:
Removing the loader from a Kubota M7060 takes about 5 minutes - pull 2 pins and uncouple 4 hoses. Reinstalling it takes a few more minutes - you have to make sure you have the tractor and loader lined up exactly. If you have a hard level spot to mount/dismount the loader that helps tremendously.

Didn't know a 24" rim was available for the Kubota. My M7060 came with 16.9 X 30 tires on the back. As far as rear tires, the bigger the better.

I also agree with the post above about getting the 12 speed instead of the 8 speed. My M7060 has the 12 speed and 1st gear is still too high - equivalent to about 3rd gear in my old John Deere. In fact, I'd recommend getting the "creeper" gear option so you can have really slow gearing for when its needed. Depends on how you will be using the tractor. Some need to drive their tractor on a highway and so higher highway speeds are a priority. For me, I need very low gears for low speed maneuvering, my tractor is never driven on a highway.

/ Kubota M series VS, Mahindra 6000 series #8  
To me that's like asking do I buy the Snap-on Ratchet or the Harbour Freight one? Many people do buy tools at Harbour Freight, what can I say?

/ Kubota M series VS, Mahindra 6000 series #10  
Never mind the options it has. Kind of like saying the Harbour Freight ratchet comes with a 120 piece socket set for the same price. Hey, we once opted for a more optioned and fancier Romanian Tractor over a MF. A mistake in hindsight.

Japanese is Japanese. It's a very different culture from anything else. IMO The lowest worker does the absolute best he or she can in that capacity.

People can buy whatever they wish, but it is a Forum QUESTION requesting OPINIONS.