Kubota M6060 Cast Iron Rear Wheel Question

/ Kubota M6060 Cast Iron Rear Wheel Question #1  

nwut05

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland T-1510, T 4.75
Hey, I have been negotiating with a dealer on a used M6060 they have on their used lot. Good shape and deal is almost done. But it has the cast iron rear wheels with radials. I do not know the exact size radials at the moment, but here is my question, The outer rim is mounted to the inside of the cast center ( I will try to post a picture ). The dealer dosent seem to want to swap them to where the outer rim is mounted to the outside of the inner cast rim. I would like it done that way, because of thinking future possible flat repair. If the outer rim is mounted to the outside of the cast rim, I figure that if i had a flat, I could just jack the tractor up, remove outer rim bolts and remove the tire and aouter rim and take it to get fixed. This way i do not have to deal with the weight of the cast iron rim and just leave it on the tractor. The added 4 inches on each side of width is another bonus for my hillsides. Anybody have the cast iron rear wheels mounted this way? is it the right way? like I say dealer really dosen't seem to want to do it, thanks

this is how they are now. all i want them to do is mount outer rim to outside of the cast center instead of inside like this......

example kubota just wheel.jpg

/ Kubota M6060 Cast Iron Rear Wheel Question #2  
Just notify dealer salesperson if they'll change tire/rim mounting you'll purchase the tractor. I think my M7040 rear cast wheels & rims are mounted similar to your photo. I've never considered it a problem because if rear tire had a flat I'd just have tire repair business come repair the leak. Knock on wood I haven't experienced a flat on those rear tires in 12 yrs or 1800 hrs of operation. Have you ever attempted to "man handle" a rear tire/rim of that size. I have BTDT many times yrs ago when I was employed by an equipment dealer. I have no desire to participate in that DANGEROUS task again & take a chance of that tire/rim falling on ME!!

/ Kubota M6060 Cast Iron Rear Wheel Question #3  
Both of my M9's are exactly like the picture (I ordered both with cast centers) and I just had a tube failure on the OS and like you, I had my tire man come out and change it. I would never fiddle with the cast center or the rim, too heavy and too great a chance to get hurt if it falls over.

The rims can be repositioned but I'm sure your dealer don't want to fiddle with them. I suggest having a farm tire outfit with a truck mounted cherry picker do it.

/ Kubota M6060 Cast Iron Rear Wheel Question #4  
You do realize that the additional holes in the cast center are for adding even additional weight?

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Kubota M6060 Cast Iron Rear Wheel Question
I think my M7040 rear cast wheels & rims are mounted similar to your photo. I've never considered it a problem because if rear tire had a flat I'd just have tire repair business come repair the leak. Knock on wood I haven't experienced a flat on those rear tires in 12 yrs or 1800 hrs of operation. Have you ever attempted to "man handle" a rear tire/rim of that size. I have BTDT many times yrs ago when I was employed by an equipment dealer. I have no desire to participate in that DANGEROUS task again & take a chance of that tire/rim falling on ME!!
Thanks I understand the concern with the weight of the outer rim tire, i have a second smaller laoder tracotr to help if that ever happens and thats the only time i would be seeking to test my superman tractor tire changing streghnth. I relly do not have a very good field service tractor tire dealer near me anymore. so it's easier if i just take them to the local co-op for the repair. last time i used a field repair man it was almost 400 bucks and that was no fluid just a remount.....you see where this is going..... if i take it in for repair a flat fix and fluid ia about half that cost...depends on the problem that is

/ Kubota M6060 Cast Iron Rear Wheel Question
You do realize that the additional holes in the cast center are for adding even additional weight?
yes i do, but with the cast centers and filled rear tires i think i would be heavy enough.

/ Kubota M6060 Cast Iron Rear Wheel Question #7  
last time i used a field repair man it was almost 400 bucks
Mine must be cheap up here in Michigan. My farm tire guy just charged me 180 bucks for a dismount, replace the failed tube and remount, includes the cost of a new tube and of course came to the farm. I did provide him a ham sandwich and a beverage for his enjoyment as well.

/ Kubota M6060 Cast Iron Rear Wheel Question #8  
I Remember when setting the wheels to where the buyer wanted them was part of a tractor sale.
That should be a no brainer type of “throw-in” the dealer should be more than happy to do.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Kubota M6060 Cast Iron Rear Wheel Question #9  
yes i do, but with the cast centers and filled rear tires i think i would be heavy enough.
Why I never run filled tires. No need. To me, filled tires just cause excessive compaction and crushing of my alfalfa plants which equates to lower yield. If I need additional weight for serious loader work, I put on a rear bale spear and add a round bale out back.

I can see why it was 400 clams now. Filled tires are always more expense to deal with and another good reason not to dismount the rim as well.

/ Kubota M6060 Cast Iron Rear Wheel Question #10  
I Remember when setting the wheels to where the buyer wanted them was part of a tractor sale.
That should be a no brainer type of “throw-in” the dealer should be more than happy to do.
I disagree with your observation, the dealer obviously has a good sense of preservation. Any filled tire of that size, dismounting it can be an exercise in getting hurt, especially if the tire when dismounting deviates at all from vertical. That task is best left to a farm tire service with a truck mounted cherry picker and/or evacuation of the tire liquid first and then refill it after the fact.