Kubota M62 No Swing force after Hoe Reattachment

/ Kubota M62 No Swing force after Hoe Reattachment #1  

mtputney

Bronze Member
Tractor
Deere 110TLB
We reattached the backhoe (BT1400) after using a three point hitch implement on our M62, and have almost no swing power left or right.

Things get a bit better at high rpm’s - the hoe at least slowly swings, but it has no power. The controls are correct.

Everything else is good.

I was pretty careful during the detachment and reattachment to keep everything clean and reattach the hoses correctly.

I’ve detached and reattached the hoe and it doesn’t solve the problem.

I cycled it a bunch of times to see if there might be an air bubble in the control valve that could be moved - no improvement.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any help.

/ Kubota M62 No Swing force after Hoe Reattachment #2  
If it were me, I'd see if the hoses are switched around (even though you've already checked). Pull them off and swap them.

/ Kubota M62 No Swing force after Hoe Reattachment #3  
We reattached the backhoe (BT1400) after using a three point hitch implement on our M62, and have almost no swing power left or right.

Things get a bit better at high rpm’s - the hoe at least slowly swings, but it has no power. The controls are correct.

Everything else is good.

I was pretty careful during the detachment and reattachment to keep everything clean and reattach the hoses correctly.

I’ve detached and reattached the hoe and it doesn’t solve the problem.

I cycled it a bunch of times to see if there might be an air bubble in the control valve that could be moved - no improvement.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Did you switch both diverter valves over to backhoe mode?

Last edited:
   / Kubota M62 No Swing force after Hoe Reattachment #4  
Is this a new machine? I have it's baby-brother the L47 and when I first got it the hydraulic quick-detach fittings for the BH were loose and it caused all kinds of weird loss of power problems. Tightening them up with a wrench solved it for me.

/ Kubota M62 No Swing force after Hoe Reattachment
Additional information:

This backhoe has 3 hoses – one hose is labeled “swing” – the connections are kind of idiot proof and can’t be connected incorrectly. They’re also color coded.

Yes, I was really careful with the diverter valves.

This is a new machine (yes, I called the dealer) and the quick-connect fittings are all tight.

I’ve cycles the swing function a bunch of times hoping to move an air bubble or piece of debris off of either the control valve or the relief valve – but no luck.

Thanks for the ideas.

/ Kubota M62 No Swing force after Hoe Reattachment #6  
Just had a similar problem with my Kubota BH77. The bucket would not swing to the left but would with pushing on it and then slowly come back to center. Also it would drift all the way to the right when left alone with running engine. Took it to my dealer, who was very busy, and told it would be a week or so before they could get to it. The next day I get a call telling me all was working. Seems they found dirt plugging the valve that moves the BH to the left. :) It has been working like new now for a week and no drifting of BH.
I remember when my L3800 was new at the 50 hour check up, the hydraulic filter magnet had more steel turnings on it then I could believe. Just a thought when you said, new machine.

/ Kubota M62 No Swing force after Hoe Reattachment #7  
Just had a similar problem with my Kubota BH77. The bucket would not swing to the left but would with pushing on it and then slowly come back to center. Also it would drift all the way to the right when left alone with running engine. Took it to my dealer, who was very busy, and told it would be a week or so before they could get to it. The next day I get a call telling me all was working. Seems they found dirt plugging the valve that moves the BH to the left. :) It has been working like new now for a week and no drifting of BH.
I remember when my L3800 was new at the 50 hour check up, the hydraulic filter magnet had more steel turnings on it then I could believe. Just a thought when you said, new machine.
My friend is looking at this Kubota BH77 and it also has this issue. Hope it is just an easy fix like yours. We'll check it out tomorrow after we installed the suspension from 4Wheelonline onto the truck.

/ Kubota M62 No Swing force after Hoe Reattachment #8  
If you do a search back through the years you will see that same missing swing force happen on M59 and M62 models again and again since these models first came out - over 15 years ago.

It happens. It's happened to most of us with these models - twice now to mine. Nobody knows what the problem is or what causes it. So far all but one have eventually fixed themselves, so the most common theory is that it is a piece of dirt or an air bubble in the controls.

There is a way to get it working again that has worked twice on my M59 and also for several others.

Usually when this happens you can get some swing movement in one direction only, so hopefully you can use that to swing the backhoe all the way to one side. That will get you started. Swing it all the way and then put the stabilizer on that side all the way down and leave the other one up. The idea is to make the backhoe lean as far as you can. Now that the backhoe is leaning, work the swing control rapidly back and forth as you let gravity swing the backhoe to the downhill side.

Once it has swung all the way, reverse the stabilizers, and do the same thing to swing the backhoe the other way.....continue working the swing lever rapidly as gravity slowly swings the backhoe. And repeat it. Back and forth.

The first time it took over a dozen reps, and then all of a sudden the backhoe swing started to work and worked without a pause for the next ten years. Then the missing swing force repeated, but this time it only took about about two gravity reversals before it suddenly started working normally.

Good luck,
rScotty

/ Kubota M62 No Swing force after Hoe Reattachment #9  
If you do a search back through the years you will see that same missing swing force happen on M59 and M62 models again and again since these models first came out - over 15 years ago.

It happens. It's happened to most of us with these models - twice now to mine. Nobody knows what the problem is or what causes it. So far all but one have eventually fixed themselves, so the most common theory is that it is a piece of dirt or an air bubble in the controls.

There is a way to get it working again that has worked twice on my M59 and also for several others.

Usually when this happens you can get some swing movement in one direction only, so hopefully you can use that to swing the backhoe all the way to one side. That will get you started. Swing it all the way and then put the stabilizer on that side all the way down and leave the other one up. The idea is to make the backhoe lean as far as you can. Now that the backhoe is leaning, work the swing control rapidly back and forth as you let gravity swing the backhoe to the downhill side.

Once it has swung all the way, reverse the stabilizers, and do the same thing to swing the backhoe the other way.....continue working the swing lever rapidly as gravity slowly swings the backhoe. And repeat it. Back and forth.

The first time it took over a dozen reps, and then all of a sudden the backhoe swing started to work and worked without a pause for the next ten years. Then the missing swing force repeated, but this time it only took about about two gravity reversals before it suddenly started working normally.

Good luck,
rScotty

The M59 along with most other backhoes has a relieve pressure valve on every valve function. It was the stick function that messed up on mine vs the swing. The valve had a needle seat fairly similar to a carburetor with a surprisingly weak spring behind it. Mine got stuck open twice. I had to disassemble it both times to fix it.

/ Kubota M62 No Swing force after Hoe Reattachment #10  
The M59 along with most other backhoes has a relieve pressure valve on every valve function. It was the stick function that messed up on mine vs the swing. The valve had a needle seat fairly similar to a carburetor with a surprisingly weak spring behind it. Mine got stuck open twice. I had to disassemble it both times to fix it.

That's fascinating. It's as good a theory as any I've heard. Did you try the trick with the gravity swing that has worked for others? Does what you found make sense out of the gravity swing trick?

Did you find anything blocking the needle valve when you took it apart?

Oh, and do you have any photos or diagrams? Or hints if disassembly becomes necessary?

rScotty