Kubota MX6000 E20 Error Code

/ Kubota MX6000 E20 Error Code #1  

BackRoad

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota MX6000, MF 35
MX6000 HST...~300 hours

Hot day, combination of finish mowing and brush hogging for ~6 hours.

At the time of the event, the brush hog was on, RPMs at PTO speed, HST in low range, cutting ~2 ft. tall grass...no brush or saplings in this part of the field.

Tractor simply shutdown...would not restart.

"!" light and E20 displayed in the hours display when trying to restart.

Operators manual says: E20 = COMMUNICATION ERROR - Call Kubota.

Google search was limited - a few mentions of broken electrical connectors on the driver's right side just ahead of the rear axle, down low, and easy to get disconnected or broken by brush or saplings.

Also several other references to a fuse being blown triggering the E20 Error Code.

The MX has just a single wire running to a small plug-in connector on the right side of the transmission just ahead of the rear axle. It was still connected and wire was good on mine.

Started checking fuses. Fuse #4, a 5a fuse, (believe it was marked as "ECU Main") was blown.

Replaced with the spare from the fuse case...started right up (and I picked up a couple spares at NAPA afterwards).

Concern is that fuses typically do not randomly blow without a cause...although in this case, no root cause identified yet.

All seems normal and I've added 5 hours mowing on another 90 degree day, with no further issues - - - so far...

Posting this as info in case someone else runs into a similar error...and as a placeholder for me, should it happen again!

/ Kubota MX6000 E20 Error Code #2  
MX6000 HST...~300 hours

Hot day, combination of finish mowing and brush hogging for ~6 hours.

At the time of the event, the brush hog was on, RPMs at PTO speed, HST in low range, cutting ~2 ft. tall grass...no brush or saplings in this part of the field.

Tractor simply shutdown...would not restart.

"!" light and E20 displayed in the hours display when trying to restart.

Operators manual says: E20 = COMMUNICATION ERROR - Call Kubota.

Google search was limited - a few mentions of broken electrical connectors on the driver's right side just ahead of the rear axle, down low, and easy to get disconnected or broken by brush or saplings.

Also several other references to a fuse being blown triggering the E20 Error Code.

The MX has just a single wire running to a small plug-in connector on the right side of the transmission just ahead of the rear axle. It was still connected and wire was good on mine.

Started checking fuses. Fuse #4, a 5a fuse, (believe it was marked as "ECU Main") was blown.

Replaced with the spare from the fuse case...started right up (and I picked up a couple spares at NAPA afterwards).

Concern is that fuses typically do not randomly blow without a cause...although in this case, no root cause identified yet.

All seems normal and I've added 5 hours mowing on another 90 degree day, with no further issues - - - so far...

Posting this as info in case someone else runs into a similar error...and as a placeholder for me, should it happen again!
Thanks BackRoad - I have the same MX6000 HST and 130 hrs, bush hogging in 80 degrees with steep hills and very high grass for 4 hours. I had just cleared the radiator screen to prevent overheating and 10 minutes later the tractor just stopped. Ignition key was hot to the touch and there was no getting the tractor going again. Once I Googled the error code E-20 along with MX6000 and Master System Warning Light I got your post. This was exactly my situation. This makes me think there is a systemic problem with the heat dissipation around the fuse box, or that circuit in particular. I will repost if the Kubota officials have a clue.

/ Kubota MX6000 E20 Error Code #3  
I was looking at tractors and one of the tractors I was looking at had the exhaust running along side the motor. Overheating came to mind. I can’t remember if that was the MX or not.

Last edited:
   / Kubota MX6000 E20 Error Code
Mr. Trouthill, glad the write up helped with looking for the blown fuse!

I've not had another recurrence since that one in 2021 and now have 800 hours on the MX 6000.

Regarding the exhaust running beside the engine question. I wouldn't consider the routing Kubota used for the exhaust system on the MX to be excessively close to the engine.

It has a front of the engine, bottom exit for the final exhaust output with heat shielding in place.

Kubota sells a lot of the MX series tractors. Suspect if the blown fuse issue was widespread, there would be more users with comments in this post, else similar posts created.