Kubota or mahindra

/ Kubota or mahindra
Hello, gwhouston, could you tell us why you have narrowed the list down to kubota and mahindra?
What knocked other colours off your list?
That said, I agree with LD1 and duffer, ERGONOMICS to which I would add dealer support, then price. Most people keep tractors for many years.
Good Luck
Great discussion here. Thanks all for responding. These two brands were chosen bc of the dealers. I bought a zturn kubota from a local dealer and was thoroughly pleased with them. After talking w many in the construction business, I believe Kubota is well built. They’ll always be in consideration for me no matter what equipment I buy. As for Mahindra, I was considering them bc of a local dealer and the market success Mahindra has over the years. I sat in one at this dealer. It was a buy back auction unit purchased from Mahindra (it came from one of the dealers). I believe it was a 36xx. 40 hp w loader, cab, and a 3 yr warranty through the dealer. It was nice but I got an uneasy feeling when talking to the salesman. So scratch them but still wanted to consider the brand. The salesman said the lift load on the loader was 2700#. Wow. 2700? I’m not believing that at all. I use my tractor as a utility aid only. No fields or hay to move...just earth and materials. I’m buying this unit for basically two reasons: I want a cab bc we will eventually live in WY (snow clearing) and I’d like a little more lift capacity in front. My Kioti has been a great machine but the dealer network is thin across the country.
Several have asked why these two only. That’s a good question. I will open my mind to others. But in a nutshell, I’m going for quality, utility, and dealer support (and a cab).

Edit: I’ve not sat behind a kubota since the inventory is thin.

/ Kubota or mahindra #32  
Great discussion here. Thanks all for responding. These two brands were chosen bc of the dealers. I bought a zturn kubota from a local dealer and was thoroughly pleased with them. After talking w many in the construction business, I believe Kubota is well built. They’ll always be in consideration for me no matter what equipment I buy. As for Mahindra, I was considering them bc of a local dealer and the market success Mahindra has over the years. I sat in one at this dealer. It was a buy back auction unit purchased from Mahindra (it came from one of the dealers). I believe it was a 36xx. 40 hp w loader, cab, and a 3 yr warranty through the dealer. It was nice but I got an uneasy feeling when talking to the salesman. So scratch them but still wanted to consider the brand. The salesman said the lift load on the loader was 2700#. Wow. 2700? I’m not believing that at all. I use my tractor as a utility aid only. No fields or hay to move...just earth and materials. I’m buying this unit for basically two reasons: I want a cab bc we will eventually live in WY (snow clearing) and I’d like a little more lift capacity in front. My Kioti has been a great machine but the dealer network is thin across the country.
Several have asked why these two only. That’s a good question. I will open my mind to others. But in a nutshell, I’m going for quality, utility, and dealer support (and a cab).
I believe you answered your own question. If you are looking for dealer support but had a uneasy feeling about the Mahindra dealer and are very comfortable with the Kubota dealer then the obvious answer is go with Kubota.

/ Kubota or mahindra
I believe you answered your own question. If you are looking for dealer support but had a uneasy feeling about the Mahindra dealer and are very comfortable with the Kubota dealer then the obvious answer is go with Kubota.
Yes you are correct...trust the instincts. I would like to make sure of all my choices. Before my Kyoti, I had a Massey 23 hp. Just enough to get my tractor wants started. My next one (hopefully) will be my forever Tractor regardless of price or brand

/ Kubota or mahindra #34  

Edit: I’ve not sat behind a kubota since the inventory is thin.
The mahindra is quite a bit heavier tractor, so I can believe it is quite a bit stronger loader. The mx is ~4200# with a cab and the mahindra is a 5200# cabbed machine. But even that, you will never lift 2700 pounds unless you have something seriously heavy on the back.

But same for the kubota, you will never reach a loaders full potential until you have enough weight on the back to keep it planted. I think the 2300# kubota rates it at is still pretty good considering its a much lighter tractor

Keep in mind though, those loader ratings are to maximum height and at the pivot pin. Real world will be less capacity to max height. But they lift alot more at lower heights due to the geometry of the loader arms.

Look at breakout force too. Thats how much lift capacity you have at ground level. For mahindra they also rate that at the pin....5100 pounds. Kubota rates both at pin and at 500mm forward of said pivot (more real world). And for them 4000# at the pin and 3100 at 500mm forward. Still pretty hefty

/ Kubota or mahindra #35  
   / Kubota or mahindra #36  
I wouldn't touch a Kubota with a ten foot pole. They are the lowest featured, worst designed tractors on the market. The controls are also terrible. And they're expensive. I guess the orange paint mesmerizes people. You can get a lot more tractor for the money elsewhere.

Amazing to me that Kubota retains 50% market share of the compact tractor market in the USA.

/ Kubota or mahindra #37  
I’m thinking of a tractor upgrade. Want a cab, front loader, 40+ hp, and HST. Considering a Mahindra 40 hp or a Kubota MX5400. Both have plus benefits. No mowing but utility usage.

The fundamental importance of TRACTOR WEIGHT eludes many tractor shoppers. Tractor weight is more important identifying compact tractor capability than tractor horsepower.

I use my tractor as a utility aid only. No fields or hay to move...just earth and materials.

The most efficient way to shop for tractors is to first identify potential tractor applications, then, through consulataton, establish bare tractor weight necessary to safely accomplish your applications. Tractor dealers, experienced tractor owners and TractorByNet.com are sources for weight recommendations.

I recommend you consider tractors with a bare tractor weight of 5,000 + pounds.

Bare tractor weight is a fundamental tractor specification easily found in sales brochures and web sites, readily comparable across tractor brands and tractor models, new and used. Shop your weight range within tractor brands. Budget will eliminate some choices. Collect a dealer brochure for each tractor model in your weight range.

Within subcompact and compact tractor categories, a significant tractor capability increase requires a bare tractor weight increase of 50%. It takes a 100% increase in bare tractor weight to elicit MY-OH-MY!

When considering a tractor purchase bare tractor weight first, tractor horsepower second, rear axle width third, rear wheel/tire ballast fourth.

Kioti CK4010 Dimensions​

Kioti CK4010 tractor photo
2015 -
CK10 Series
Compact Utility tractor

Weight Gear ROPS: 2,679 lbs
1215 kg
Hydro ROPS: 2,734 lbs
1240 kg
Hydro Cab: 3,307 lbs
1500 kg

BUY ENOUGH TRACTOR !

Last edited:
   / Kubota or mahindra #38  
far as I'm concerned it all distills down to dealer location and support and at some point you will need a dealer and a marginal dealer will be just that. Why I run Kubota's. Have an excellent dealer close by and in my personal opinion, Kubota is a better built unit. Your opinion may differ, you choice. be apprised however it's your buck, spend it wisely.

/ Kubota or mahindra
Tractor weight is more important identifying compact tractor capability than tractor horsepower.
Bare tractor weight is a fundamental tractor specification easily found in sales brochures and web sites, readily comparable across tractor brands and tractor models, new and used. Shop your weight range within tractor brands. Budget will eliminate some choices. Collect a dealer brochure for each tractor model in your weight range.

Excellent advice

/ Kubota or mahindra #40  
Which is exactly why I wouldn't touch a Kubota with a ten foot pole. They are the lowest featured, worst designed tractors on the market. The controls are also terrible. And they're expensive. I guess the orange paint mesmerizes people. You can get a lot more tractor for the money elsewhere.
And service dealers that come and go with many other brands (unlike Kubota, JD, and NH).