Kubota overheated!

/ Kubota overheated! #1  

Dale in MI

Tractor
Not Running: Oliver 550 & 770, Farmall A & Super M
I was pulling a 5 foot rotary mower through thick weeds yesterday when my MX5100 diesel died and started smoking a lot, all over the engine. It would barely turn over at that point. I waited 45 minutes and got it started. It seemed normal after a minute of smoking.

I think the temperature gauge is broken. I saw some new smoke coming out in advance but never thought about overheating.

I started it again just now and it smoked a lot for a minute and then was fine.

Should I be worried about antifreeze in in the oil? Any other concerns?

Last edited:
   / Kubota overheated! #2  
What color is the smoke? Does it smell sweet?

Why did it overheat? My tractor with half the power will pull a 5ft brush-hog in tall stuff (working hard). Yours should do so easily, without overheating.

Before running it again, I'd try to find out what's going on. Radiator clogged? Low coolant? Bad water pump? Then change the oil, check air filter, check coolant, fix the temp sensor or gauge. If its running and smoking you may have damaged or gummed up the rings.

/ Kubota overheated! #3  
I think you Euchered it. Ever bother to blow out the radiator, or the air filter? Good dealer in Coldwater that will rebuild it for you, for a price. One in Adrian as well but I don't recommend them. They don't know a turd from applebutter.

Kubota's don't like to be neglected and overheated, that tends to cause a failed head gasket, stuck rings or even a scored bore or two.

/ Kubota overheated! #4  
May need to carry portable air tank blow out filter and rad.

/ Kubota overheated! #5  
sorry man for that, get back on how you think it runs afterword. has it balked before in thick growth? does your radiator pull in a lot of debris? were you aware beforehand that your temp gauge was out? that's the key, the gauge. if you knew it was out well, .... all the best, get back on the incident.

/ Kubota overheated! #6  
Is the radiator clean and full of coolant? Was it puking out any coolant when it overheated?

/ Kubota overheated! #8  
I could mow for about 30 minutes before needed to blow out the radiator and oil cooler. Mowing at the wrong time of the year means too many fluffy seeds getting stuck. As soon as it even blips above the middle on the gauge I'm stopping to blow everything out.

/ Kubota overheated! #10  
I'm guessing thick weeds means your radiator most likely needs to be cleaned out. I would change the engine oil and send out a sample of the old oil for analysis. They will easily tell you things like antifreeze level in the oil and bearing wear.