L Series questions

/ L Series questions #11  
Some good points about diminished returns of brake steering with a 4wd with a loaded FEL.
But still necessary when towing something through mud or something that makes the front end lite, like skidding logs, brushing, etc. Also good for quickly kicking the differential over to the non spinning tire without stopping and locking.

/ L Series questions #12  
Some good points about diminished returns of brake steering with a 4wd with a loaded FEL.
But still necessary when towing something through mud or something that makes the front end lite, like skidding logs, brushing, etc. Also good for quickly kicking the differential over to the non spinning tire without stopping and locking.

Also good for any kind of ground scraping operation where you have "unloaded" the weight off of the front end. If you are working on a slope you will always fall downhill, and with your front end light you will not be able to compensate with just the wheel steering, you need brake steering. It can mean the difference in getting the job done or not.

/ L Series questions #13  
If I need to turn really sharp on my L3200 I'll ride side saddle for a minute with both feet on the right. I assume that's the Kubota shuffle. Annoying, but very doable on the occasion its needed, which quite frankly isn't that often.

/ L Series questions #14  
As a very young kid, driving the Farmall "H", I was too weak to push both pedals, so learned to turn using "each". Ultimately, I'd just flip the little piece of metal over to lock the pedals together, and it was a happy time. On my L3031DT Kub', I've found that differential-braking is not used very much at all, but I can see the usefulness on icy surfaces. I would NOT use it at all in 4WD (they've already told you where the control is, so I won't repeat - BUT switch it when in NEUTRAL, with clutch IN - it costs less $$$$ that way.

/ L Series questions #15  
My L4400 is 4WD. I use the brakes when mowing or plowing. Ya' need to be in 2WD with the loader removed to be effective. I also may have failed to mention that mine is a gear model.

I save a significant amount of time brush mowing by using this method. Just pay attention to the ground, as spinning the machine around while hitting a 'dip' can cause you to soil yourself. ;-)

/ L Series questions #16  
I have the L3800 HST 4x4 with cruise. Using the cutting brakes is seldom done as it's a PITA. With the pedals locked together, if you push the brake it kicks the cruise off. With the pedals unlocked, you can push one brake pedal (RH one I think) and it works, but the LH brake kicks the cruise off.

/ L Series questions
Thanks for all the info folks. On my NH, I have considered taking a heavy dowel or old shovel handle on board and trying to brake steer using that. It's not something I would do often, but it seems kind of silly to have the feature there and make it that hard to use.

Here's another question. I haven't done a lot of research on this one, but one of the the few things I dislike about NH is that their parts seem over-the-top expensive. Parts both large and small seem astronomically priced. Now, $8 for an oil filter is part of the game IMHO, but $20 if you lose the little round knob on top of the loader handle and $65 for a dashboard switch for the cruise control (and these are discounted prices, not list) seem really gouging to me. How are Kubota parts priced?

/ L Series questions #18  
How are Kubota parts priced?

The same.

Kubota dealer ordered some parts for me recently, ordered a Kubota linch pin too, though I did not ask for it. Kubota lynch pin invoiced at $14. Same lynch pin at the TSC six miles away was <$1.00.

/ L Series questions #19  
Thanks for all the info folks. On my NH, I have considered taking a heavy dowel or old shovel handle on board and trying to brake steer using that. It's not something I would do often, but it seems kind of silly to have the feature there and make it that hard to use.

Here's another question. I haven't done a lot of research on this one, but one of the the few things I dislike about NH is that their parts seem over-the-top expensive. Parts both large and small seem astronomically priced. Now, $8 for an oil filter is part of the game IMHO, but $20 if you lose the little round knob on top of the loader handle and $65 for a dashboard switch for the cruise control (and these are discounted prices, not list) seem really gouging to me. How are Kubota parts priced?

I had to get some Kubota parts to replace the "stop" knob assembly for the 3-pt lever, and some of the parts were priced in cents. I think the knob itself was $4. Not unreasonable to me.

/ L Series questions #20  
Took delivery of my new (assembled in Thailand), L4600 DT Gear model Kubota with LA714 FEL with 4 in 1 bucket. Did 18 hours work in the first two days. Works great. Included in the purchase was a 5' HD Jarrett clutched slasher for mowing down the fast growing grass in the paddocks.
I don't have an issue with it being made in Thailand. It's a brilliant tractor and perfectly sized for my needs and after 8 hours of steady use it only consumed 42 Litres (11 gallons) of diesel.
I agree that the foot step is a little flimsy, the only other fault that I have found so far is the loose electrical wires that run from the 4 in 1 bucket open/close activation buttons and lock-out switch down to the hydraulic relay servos. Whilst I was clearing some scrub a stick shot up and broke the wires. Does anyone know where the fuses (if any)for the Loader attachment are located. When I get it sorted I'm going to make guard to stop any sticks snagging the wiring again.
Jon