L2501 I love it BUT

/ L2501 I love it BUT
Let's see here. Trades down from 50 hp tractor to 25 hp one, didn't get more ponies to avoid possible emission issues. Now finds new tractor can't mow heavy stuff like the old one, and is considering aftermarket/ homebrew ways to boost HP.

Most, including me, would figure you really need more tractor because your DIY power boost has fairly strong odds of bringing more headaches than the emission junk you sought to avoid.

For example, what does the turbo kit do to improve cooling, if anything? The boosted engine will make more heat as it adds power, something these little diesels don't tolerate well. If you don't also soup-up the cooling system, your turbo my live longer than the engine it's on. Just sayin'. And, you probably already know about stopped up radiators from mowing debris.

But it's your decision, not anyone else's. Whatever you do, I wish you good luck dealing with this.
Traded down from 50 hp to 25 hp for two reasons. First and foremost I went from working on 126 acres to just 6. Second the 6 acres has lots and lots of trees. The little tractor w/fel gets around in the trees much easier than the bigger one did. And yes, I would have bought the 33 or 39 hp if they didn't have the tier 4 emissions crap.

/ L2501 I love it BUT
I think the L2501 is a tough little rig, but it has its limitations. I have run into the same issues mowing heavy grass, even in Low and creeping along. As stated before, the angle of the cutter has a HUGE affect! I had mine set up to cut pretty level, but It could not clear the cuttings fast enough and would literally jamb. Members here told me to raise the tail wheel and I raised it as high as I could go. It cuts at a forward angle (5 percent?) and cuts much better and faster.

BTW - I stepped into the L2501 from a JD 770. Pretty close in size, weight and power. The JD's crash box trans is the biggest difference. Oh and mowing performance. It could cleanly mow as fast as you could tolerate

I would run it in Low the whole time while cutting heavy for cooling purposes.

Another thing with the L2501: If you run it at PTO speed, you are missing a 1/3 of its power. Throttle up all the way.
I'm gonna bring it home next week and sharpen the bush hog blades and while on level concrete tweak the angle of the cut. I do run it w/the throttle at max. Out of the six acres I cut there is probably no more than 2 that are heavy, heavy grass. I'm retired so if it takes a little longer, so what? I'm working for free anyway.

/ L2501 I love it BUT #43  
Traded down from 50 hp to 25 hp for two reasons. First and foremost I went from working on 126 acres to just 6. Second the 6 acres has lots and lots of trees. The little tractor w/fel gets around in the trees much easier than the bigger one did. And yes, I would have bought the 33 or 39 hp if they didn't have the tier 4 emissions crap.
Hope your experience with add-on turbo works out better than mine did. Does tractor stay within warranty with turbo added?

/ L2501 I love it BUT #44  
Hope your experience with add-on turbo works out better than mine did. Does tractor stay within warranty with turbo added?

Warranty after add-on Turbo, No.

What was your experience? What make/model tractor? Who’s Turbo?

Mike

/ L2501 I love it BUT #45  
Warranty after add-on Turbo, No.

What was your experience? What make/model tractor? Who’s Turbo?

Mike
Long ago put turbo kit on a sports car. Nice power boost... engine survived but turbo didn't. All kinds of cooling headaches. Not precisely the same as a diesel tractor but I still learned to be cautious about aftermarket performance "kits".

/ L2501 I love it BUT #46  
Long ago put turbo kit on a sports car. Nice power boost... engine survived but turbo didn't. All kinds of cooling headaches. Not precisely the same as a diesel tractor but I still learned to be cautious about aftermarket performance "kits".

Thanks for clarifying…

Yep, been there, done that. I’ve turbocharged, supercharged, added nitrous oxide to N/A engines and raced (drag & road course) many gasoline and diesel vehicles in my time. Luckily, the vast majority of my experiences have been positive.

Mike

/ L2501 I love it BUT #47  
I can get Kubota dealer to add a turbo to my X1100C RTV and they claim it will keep it in warranty. However if I do it no.

/ L2501 I love it BUT #48  
I too love my L2501 but am approaching paying it off in a year or so. Anyone who has used both an L2501 and an L4701? I've used bigger equipment on my property but am always a bit disappointed by their heft. Obviously more capability = heavier but running around on my L2501 vs the Case 570N I used a few weeks ago.... it had three times the capability (loader) but I definitely didnt feel like I could work 3 times as fast. Same went for a big wheel loader I had (JD 930 or something). Granted a lot of it could just be familiarity with the machine.

The L4701 comes with the bigger loader (LA765) and bucket, about a 50% increase in capacity. Does it lose a lot of the nimbleness of the L2501? It weighs more of course, but it doesn't gain that much weight compared to the bigger tractors.

/ L2501 I love it BUT #49  
Sharpening the blades with a grinder from underneath is very easy and only takes minutes. I cant imagine taking off the blades would be better. I have 3 cutters and have never taken the blades off.
I disagree. A healthy impact wrench will whisk those blades off easily and you can do a MUCH better job sharpening them on a bench grander. I've tried it both ways on several machines, mostly Kubotas. I do have a grandson crawl under there and use a high rpm hand held grinder once in a while (with major backups to make sure the thing can't fall on him...) but I favor the impact wrench. Opinion of course.

/ L2501 I love it BUT #50  
Now THAT is an option for sure. When and how can I find out about a turbo option and how much extra hp are we talking about?

I’m not sure if you’re still looking for a solution but, the Turbo Kit has become a reality for L2501 owners seeking additional power.

The power increase? Well, it’s substantial.

We’re recording an additional 45% increase in overall power at 2,105 RPM. 35 PTO HP!

All the details have been posted on Orange Tractor Talks but, I’ll be posting an updated thread here on this site soon.

Mike