Backhoe L3130 HST Backhoe Questions

/ L3130 HST Backhoe Questions #1  

Jibber

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130HST 4WD, BX2350
I have an L3130HST and am looking to add a backhoe. I've been looking at the BL4690 because it has on-board hydraulics and would not require me to add remotes on the back. I understand about the power and reach differences with the BL90.

My questions..

I'm looking for user reviews on the backhoe itself.. it is up to snuff for moving rocks and the like.. I live in a very rocky area and am looking to clear land..

also..

My dealer seems to have little experience dealing with the backhoes.. at least when it comes to my tractor.. Are there any changes that I need to make to the tractor itself to accomodate the 4690.. bracket strengthening? I have the folding ROPS.. so that's not a problem.

also.. attaching and detaching the backhoe.. what's involved.. does anything have to be removed or added on the 3ph or do you just back up the tractor.. put in a few pins and away you go.

also.. storage ideas? Can this thing just sit outside or is that a bad idea? I have enough room in the garage for the tractor.. but probably not both it/loader/ and backhoe..

THANX for any help..

/ L3130 HST Backhoe Questions #2  
Jibber I have a 4690 backhoe also so I can answer some of your questions,I love my backhoe but there are limits also,real rocky conditions is won of the limits,its not so much the backhoe but a combination that your tractor doseent have the weight along with the hoe really is not for that pownding work.For a back hoe that size I would put it up against any though.For mounting on your tractor all you have to do is remove the top link and practice taking it on and off.

/ L3130 HST Backhoe Questions
I have the 723 loader on there.. that should help with counterweight.. and my tires are filled with liquid Calcium.. but I understand what you're saying. I'll be happy if it can handle some moderate sized rocks.. I have them in all sizes.. watermelon to greyhound bus.

I haven't seen one of these PTO units mounted or in use.. how does it connect to the tractor.. does it have it's own framework that attaches to the top link bracket and the three point arms? Or, is there more to it than that?

Did you get your top bracket reinforced or replaced?

thanx!

/ L3130 HST Backhoe Questions #4  
Jibber,

The backhoe hangs on the 3ph pretty much like any other implement. Except it has its own link that reaches out to the top link connecting point, in place of the adjustable link you would use with something else. This is a heavy metal piece, about an inch thick and 4 or more inches wide.

It is important that the top link pins that the backhoe attaches to are special hardened ones, not standard ones.

On the B2910 a special heavy duty top link bracket is needed. I am not sure about your tractor.

The lower link arms are connected to the bottom of the backhoe with pins that slide through holes in the backhoe frame.

The 3ph is left in the lowered position when the backhoe is attached.

Be sure you have and use the safety bar that goes under the lower link arms as this will save you should the pin that holds the backhoe to the top link bracket break. It is possible to be squeezed between the seat and ROPS in a worst case situation.

The backhoe is not that bad to put on and take off. I have found it best to take it off the top link pins first, when removing, and to put it on the top link pins first, when installing. You move it around a bit with the stabilizer arms and boom/bucket to do this.

Hope this is of some help. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ L3130 HST Backhoe Questions #5  
I have a L3130 with 723 loader and 4690B backhoe.

The hoe has plenty of power and to me seems to be a good match to the tractor, i.e. the tractor does not get tossed around by the backhoe. I live in Southeast Ct and have done a fair amount of digging so far, with plenty of rocks. I would say that rocks 2-3 maybe 4 cubic feet in size are not a problem. When you start getting bigger than that you can probably still dig around them and get them out, but you may have to use the front loader to push them around/pick them up, as picking them up with the backhoe becomes difficult.

My backhoe has the 16 inch bucket which is working great for me.

The tractor does not need a reinforced top link bracket, it is already stout enough per the Kubota manual (for the 4690). Bottom line for homeowner use or light commercial, I think the 4690 is great. If I was going to be digging everyday, i.e. landscaper, etc. you might want to go with the BH90.

The additional cost of the BH90 over the 4690B was about $700-$985 for the quotes I got, when purchased as a package, depending on the dealer. At the time (March 03) all dealers told me it was backordered and not available till May the earliest.

If the BH90 was available, I probably would have gotten it, but I can say I am very happy with the 4690.

I orginally thought I would buy a L3010, back about 2 years ago when I started looking. By the time I was ready to buy, I thought the L3130 was too big, compared to the B7800 next to it in the showroom. Well after thinking long and hard I ended up with the 3130. I never inquired about the 3430, but I imagine a few more hp would be nice. You have to draw the line somewhere.

Oh by the way, as you may be able to tell I love my tractor.

I used it to hoist the engine out of my boat to replace a worn out engine coupler.

I installed about 200' of french drain for my brother in law (excavating contractors quoted him $4000) for material cost of about $450, plus maybe $30 of diesel.

I'm also clearing land for my barn. This thing is a tremendous work saver, and I figure between landscaping projects such as retaining walls, land clearing, snow plowing etc. this thing will have paid for itself vs. hiring someone to do this all for me by the time I have it paid off.

/ L3130 HST Backhoe Questions #6  
Jibber,
I have a B7500 with a 4672 BH. Basically the same thing but just a smaller reach. I love it. You asked about storage, so I thought I could share this. I have found that I can take the BH off and on so easily now, I just leave it on the tractor all the time. When I back the tractor into the garage, I turn the boom all the way to the side. That way it takes up less room than a lot of implements. I just went out and measured, and it only sticks out about 2 feet past the end of my lower links. I am sure the 4690 would be comparable. It would just stick out more to the side because of the boom length. Hope this helps.

Greg

/ L3130 HST Backhoe Questions #7  
Given the amount of work and the sizes of the rocks that you are wanting to work with, I would suggest a Bradco BH. They are as close to an industrial hoe as you can get for a compact tractor. Bradco

/ L3130 HST Backhoe Questions #8  
I'd suggest you go for the BH90 or bradco. The extra reach is extremely useful, and more power is always better. Both the BH90 and Bradco are a very nice frame mount system.

When you say FRAME MOUNT on the kubota 90 BH.. Does it interfere with the 3pt system at all? Do you have to remove anything before you attach or detach the hoe?

Hey, thanks to all you of you guys.. this is great getting info like this before you buy.. sure helps you decide..

As for parking the tractor with the hoe on it in the garage.. I figured that it would probably be too high to get in under the door.. I have your regular house type garage door.. and have to lower the ROPS each time I put the tractor to bed.

I've been wrestling rocks so long around here.. It will be nice to get the leverage and power of a backhoe