L3130 HST

/ L3130 HST #1  

Jeff_R

Just purchased a 3130 and for starters I'm very impressed with the power of the LA723. As for the tractor, I'm disappointed in it's engine performance. With the engine at full speed, in high gear and on level ground once I pushed the pedal down all the way, the tractor bogged down to the point where it almost stalled. Is this normal? Has anyone else with a 3130 experienced this? Medium gear does farily well with a hint of sluggishness. My original B2100 in high gear would take off like a rabbit. I know it weighed a lot less but you would think the 3130 would be more responsive. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ L3130 HST #2  
Well I to am a new owner of a L3130HST. I do not have a FEL. I mainly will be using her to keep up the fields for the horses using a 5 brush hog. As far as using the tractor in high I have noticed that it does work the tractor but does not bog it to the point of killing the engine. I have noticed that a nice easy depress of the pedal allows the tractor to run better.
Later.....

/ L3130 HST #3  
Like Hillslider says, gentle starts are the way to go. If I "jump" on the hydro pedal on my B2910 in high gear, the same thing happens. I believe this is common for hydro drive transmissions.

That's not to say you can't accelerate fairly quickly, you just need to apply firm, steady pressure to the pedal. "Flooring it" in high gear will cause the effect you noticed.

~Rick

/ L3130 HST #4  
Jeff, I don't know whether you've had HST transmissions in the past or not, nor whether you're familiar with their operation, so if you are, then you can ignore this. The HST pedal is NOT an accelerator pedal. Very basic, and over-simplified, explanation is that the farther down you press the pedal, the higher the gear you're in. So . . ., if you're cruising along with the pedal to the floor and start up a hill or have a ground engaging or PTO powered implement start to pull the engine RPM down, easing up on the pedal provides more power, whereas pushing down harder on an accelerator pedal would give more power. By the same token, suddenly pressing the pedal all the way down in high range is the same as trying to take off in the top gear with a manual transmission. And you can certainly stall the engine that way. Hope this helps some.

/ L3130 HST #5  
What was your B2100's top speed? Realize first and foremost, high range is a traveling gear, not for pushing or pulling. It gets you from point A to B at over 17 mph. It takes a lot of power to start off in basically what is the highest available gear and is normal to have a big drop in RPM for the most part on all tractors regardless of make. The 3130 HST will probably have the most RPM drop purely because it is also the smallest displacement/HP L30 tractor made. Take a geared tractor put it in the highest gear like 8th or 12th and you won't get going quickly if at all not to mention what your doing to the clutch. I have heard from several folks in the past who have said this about their B series tractors in relation to the larger L series. As the manual says, don't use the engine at full speed for the first 50 hours. I think it also recommends not traveling fast as well and stopping quickly. My L3830 HST actually does very well in high, and actually quite a bit better then my L48 which had a bit more HP. I was pleasantly suprised at it's ability to go up my driveway in high range. I still have not had the engine or tractor at full speed yet with close to 50 hours. I think you will find that M and sometimes L ranges are going to be the dominate range you use for most things. Give it sometime to get familiar with your tractor, the L3130 is a great little tractor. Rat...

/ L3130 HST #6  
High gear is well, high and there isn't much power there. It's just a road gear. I kind of had the same thoughts as you right at first. We have a couple hills, on the road, that will drop the speed 5 mph in high. Feathering the HST little helps and you need to feather it starting out. The HST peddle to me is more like a clutch than anything. How much would you have to feather the clutch on your car starting out in 3rd gear?

I don't think the tractor would make it up my drive in high without making a huge racket and heating up the fluid. Using medium is plenty fast to get around my 28 acres and works ok for lite to medium box blade and FEL work.

/ L3130 HST #7  
I'm in the process of digging out a barn foundation with a new L3130 and LA723 (R4 tires). I can say with the tooth bar this monster can really dig. Because of it is pretty heavy, I can stall it pretty easily pushing the bucket forward. However, I think this is more a matter of excellent traction that insufficient power. Another 10 HP sure would be nice though. I think stomping on the HST pedal is pretty equivalent of popping the clutch. I think with the loader and rear weight, this machine has got to top 5000 pounds.

Agreed, the LA723 is awesome! Suddenly by BX2200 seems like such a lawn mower!

- Patrick

/ L3130 HST
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I just had to get the "feel" for how my new L3130 operates compared to my old B2100. Just for a sanity check I stopped by the "Green" dealer and tried their 4310 and 4410 Hydro, my new 3130 blew them away. To bad the good ole USA can't make them as good as the Land of the Rising Sun.

/ L3130 HST #9  
<font color="blue">...tried their 4310 and 4410 Hydro, my new 3130 blew them away... </font>

Hi Jeff...

Ya didn't fall out of bed and bump your head this morning... did ya? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

The 3130 doesn't come close to the 4410... (24 PTO hp vs. 28 PTO hp) A 16 + % increase in hp is alot...

I think Kubota makes great products… unfortunately the L3130 is underpowered for it’s frame size… (perhaps due to Kubota marketing strategy??)

<font color="blue">… Just purchased a 3130 and for starters... I'm disappointed in it's engine performance…</font>

Remember, you said this… not I… /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ L3130 HST #10  
Small John Deere tractors are built by Yanmar in Japan, and as I understand it, practically no compact tractors are built in the USA.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I just had to get the "feel" for how my new L3130 operates compared to my old B2100. Just for a sanity check I stopped by the "Green" dealer and tried their 4310 and 4410 Hydro, my new 3130 blew them away. To bad the good ole USA can't make them as good as the Land of the Rising Sun. )</font>