L3130 Questions

/ L3130 Questions #1  

SteveH_CT

Platinum Member
Tractor
Deere 4310
Hey folks. I've been reading, and re-reading a lot of the different posts here regarding the models I've been looking at. I originally narrowed my list down to the Deere 4310 and the Kubota L3130. Now that I’ve decided on the L3130 I’ve like to hear from some of you who have it, and used it for a while.

I’d appreciate it if you could share some of your experience with me. I plan to start using the tractor at my current house in Salem. We have about 8 acres here, and I’ve been dropping trees and clearing land getting it ready for some gravel and top soil. That’s just the start of it though. We are planning on building a house about 10 minutes away in some land we own in East Haddam. We’ll have 100 acres total, but I’m only going to concern my self with 12 acres right now. I intend to use the tractor to make the land usable again. There are a lot of rocks to be moved. Anyone who’s ever been to this part of Connecticut can attest to all the stone walls that run along the perimeter of fields. Now I know why there are all these stone walls… they had to put the rocks somewhere!

So based on your experiences how much can I plan on doing with this tractor? Can it effectively pull stumps – can it move some decent sized rocks? If it doesn’t do more than help me re-grade the old dirt roads and move a lot of soil I’ll still be happy with it, but I am hoping to get some work out of it for the lot clearing as well.

As an FYI – the set-up I’m intending to buy is the L3130 HST, LA723 loader, and the BH90B backhoe. Oh, one more question, does anyone use the “Quick Hitch” on the front loader?

Thanks to All! I really appreciate the discussions here.

/ L3130 Questions #2  
Hi SteveH...

I recently got a new Kubota L3130 with the LA723 loader with "Quick Attach"... and BH90 backhoe (9' reach)...

Haven't used it for much work yet... but my experience with a 3 smaller tractors apply... most recent is a Deere 750 4-wheel-drive TLB... it has a 7' backhoe... loader lift capacity (700-800 lbs) less than 1/2 the LA723's... ~20 HP...

The Kubota should most of what you want... stumps have to be dug out... bigger = more digging = longer... rocks too big or heavy to be lifted can be pushed... or they can be buried...

The smaller Deere handled digging a couple stumps with an excavated root mass 6-7' across... trunk maybe 14" diameter... wouldn't wanna' dig many of these though with that hoe... the BH90 will be easier & faster...
Also dug & buried rocks heavier than the machine...

The LA723 loader's "Quick Attach" Skid Steer/Bobcat style option makes changing loader implements a breeze... I change between the loader bucket and Skid Steer fork-lift easily... under 1 minute on or off... more like 30 seconds... ...but I think it extends the front of the loader out some... may be good or bad... also gives a better variety and brands of implements available to you... rather than only brand/model specific ones...

For lot clearing etc... a commercial loader/backhoe may be a better choice... decent used ones are usually available for less than a new L3130...

Almost any machine can do most jobs... even by hand... depends how much time you wanna' spend doing it...

Dave...

/ L3130 Questions #3  
I must say your choice of a Kubota is good thinking. I bought a L3130 HST back in June of 2003. I love the machine. I was to cheap to get a FEL and way to cheap to get a BH. Some day! I use the tractor for mainly mowing the fields with a 5' brush hog. Works great. I can cut thick hood tall grass and weeds with ease. I also use the a back and box blade......both 5' for leveling and maintaining a long gravel driveway. The tactor is quiet and no vibrations......just smooth operating. My land is kind of hilly and I really like the HST for easy use on the hills. I can back up the steep stuff.....get to the top and the tractor hyd. will hold itself until I choose to go back down. You can go real slow to real fast all with one easy movement. You can not go wrong with this little tractor. Just wish I had a FEL and a BH so I could comment on them. Have fun...keep us updated.

/ L3130 Questions #4  
I've got about 370 hours on mine now and its' been great. Used while building the new house to dig the septic tanks for the house and shop, drain field, sewer, some of the water line, communications, electric and a culvert. Cut thru the terrace to make the drive way, took out a bunch small of trees put the final grade on the shop pad, drive way(655'+), move spread hundreds of tons of rock for building pads, garage fill, aproaches ect.. and all of the landscaping and several grade changes.

We did the rough work for the drive and shop pad with a couple big cats. Used the tractor to get it all smoothed shaped and graded and there was plenty to do!

I've since moved many hundereds of tons of dirt making grade changes and adding onto the shop pad. Took the tops off a couple hills to flatten them out, Its' a workhorse.

/ L3130 Questions
Hey Dave - I agree with your comments on the commercial back hoe/loader. I have a friend with a much larger unit than the L3130 and I'll be leaving the truly unthinkable (at least for me and the 3130) to him.

As always thanks for your input and feel free to send that Curtis cab over when you're sick of it. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ L3130 Questions
Thanks for the info, and yes, it does seem like a great little tractor. I'm glad to hear you like the HST. I've read some mixed opinions on the board that have made me think twice about it, but for a 1st time owner I think the ease of it will help a lot. Now I just need to get my hands on one.

/ L3130 Questions
Wow, sounds like you've put it through it's paces. If I could learn to operate the tractor well enough I can see it will pay for itself when it comes time to build the new house.

OK - Off the topic question - How does someone get to be a "Insert Metal Here" Member? Is it based on your number of posts?
Thanks,

/ L3130 Questions #8  
Hi Steve, and welcome! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

First, I really envy you and the new toy you're planning on getting! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I've been waiting almost 2 years now, and still have about another 18 months or so to go before I can get my tractor! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

<font color="blue"> (How does someone get to be a "Insert Metal Here" Member? Is it based on your number of posts?) </font>

Yup, you got it! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I think if you look in the FAQ section, you'll find what the breakdown number is for each level. The Star level is assigned by Muhammad.

Although based on how you've started out, what with asking good questions and showing a genuine interest in becoming proficient with your machine, you'll be nudging up the ladder real fast! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Make sure you get those pics posted real quick once you get it! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ L3130 Questions #9  
Steve, they build new cabs at Curtis every day. I'm quite sure that would not be a problem for your new Kubota! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ L3130 Questions
2 years! - Wow - you are a man of great patience. I guess I should take a look at the FAQ's and see the "house rules".

I'm looking forward to getting the tractor. There isn't a lot to do with it right now, since everything is frozen here. I think I'll wait till March. What one are you looking at?