L3301 or similar

/ L3301 or similar #1  

dave9876

Tractor
shopping for one
Hello, I'm new to this forum.
Will be putting in about 2 acres of lawn on a sloped lot, after our house is built. Builder will brush hog the tall grass before building. And rough grade after building. I've never owned anything bigger than a riding mower before, and have always done all of our yard work.

I was originally thinking about a Kubota BX series, but after doing lots of reading, am concerned about stability and width of the tractor with a bucket load, etc. etc.
Plus I need plenty of power for a tiller and/or a soil pulverizer.
Other tasks I will have mowing, bucket work, and plowing the long driveway.
Attachement list would be pulverizer, grooming mower (rear PTO) and FEL/bucket for soil, gravel, mulch (maybe a combo bucket), plus a 3rd valve for left/right movement of a snow blade. Or maybe just a snow push.

Does anyone have a Kubota L3301 4WD with gear/clutch? I'm not scared of the regeneration and need more than 25 HP for the pulverizer. I'd love a hydrostatic drive, but not sure I want to spend the extra $2000 for it.

Am I on the right track? Any thoughts, feedback, comments y'all want to give? Thanks in advance.

David
near Cleveland OH

/ L3301 or similar #2  
Just my opinion, but I would forget the pulverizer and go with the L2501 and HST. The one implement isn't worth the regen problems and extra cost of 8 more HP.....I would run the numbers on the L2501 HST and see how that figures out. The 2501 will do everything you need.

/ L3301 or similar #3  
Am I on the right track?
Any thoughts, feedback, comments y'all want to give?

L3301 is excellent for two sloping acres.

Few will recommend a tiller AND a soil pulverizer. A roto-tiller is adjustable to provide a clod free output. Consider a Harley Rake also known as a Power Rake, in lieu of the roto-tiller.

VIDEOS:

A traditional clutch & gear, Loader equipped tractor will have poor resale when the time comes. Buy the HST. HSTs are about bullet proof. Dealer clutch rebuilds are $1,200 between 1,500 and 2,000 engine hours of use.

Thoughts from Messick's:

Last edited:
   / L3301 or similar #4  
Is your lot 2 acre total? If so think the L3301 is pretty much more then you need. The tiller is not a good fit with a gear tractor. I have used a 5 foot tiller with a L2501 HST. It had plenty of power. It worked very well.

I would buy the 2501 HST vs the 3301 DT.

/ L3301 or similar #5  
Is your lot 2 acre total? If so think the L3301 is pretty much more then you need. The tiller is not a good fit with a gear tractor. I have used a 5 foot tiller with a L2501 HST. It had plenty of power. It worked very well.

I would buy the 2501 HST vs the 3301 DT.
A tiller is not a good match for a gear tractor? Why is that?

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / L3301 or similar #6  
Often even the lowest gear moves the tractor too fast.

Heavier tractors offer optional "creeper" gear(s).

/ L3301 or similar #7  
Often even the lowest gear moves the tractor too fast.

Heavier tractors offer optional "creeper" gear(s).
I wonder if people still think that the gear tractors from the past 40+ years are still like the Ford 8N...

My tractor will go at 0.7 MPH at the 2600 rated RPM in the slowest gear which is plenty slow for a tiller. And if I really wanted, I could drop the RPMs down 1800 RPM and use the 540E and could cut that speed down to 0.4 MPH. I do run in 540E like 90% of the time but in 3rd or 4rd gear in Low range, still plenty good.

/ L3301 or similar #8  
Hello, I'm new to this forum.
Will be putting in about 2 acres of lawn on a sloped lot, after our house is built. Builder will brush hog the tall grass before building. And rough grade after building. I've never owned anything bigger than a riding mower before, and have always done all of our yard work.

I was originally thinking about a Kubota BX series, but after doing lots of reading, am concerned about stability and width of the tractor with a bucket load, etc. etc.
Plus I need plenty of power for a tiller and/or a soil pulverizer.
Other tasks I will have mowing, bucket work, and plowing the long driveway.
Attachement list would be pulverizer, grooming mower (rear PTO) and FEL/bucket for soil, gravel, mulch (maybe a combo bucket), plus a 3rd valve for left/right movement of a snow blade. Or maybe just a snow push.

Does anyone have a Kubota L3301 4WD with gear/clutch? I'm not scared of the regeneration and need more than 25 HP for the pulverizer. I'd love a hydrostatic drive, but not sure I want to spend the extra $2000 for it.

Am I on the right track? Any thoughts, feedback, comments y'all want to give? Thanks in advance.

David
near Cleveland OH
L3301 is a great machine. Mine has the gear drive as well; I LOVE IT. Easy Peasy to drive, no HST whine, and all the HP is there. Absolutely do not be afraid of the regen, it's no big deal. PS... mine is for sale in the classifieds, I bought a MX5400, also gear drive. btw.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / L3301 or similar #9  
I wouldn’t have a gear drive machine of that size. There’s literally nothing that size tractor gear drive will do that the same tractor HST won’t do better. I wouldn’t be as quick to turn my nose up on a synchronized shuttle trans but that machine has a 4 speed with a hi/low and a dry clutch.