Price Check L35 Price opinions?

/ L35 Price opinions? #1  

hutch4472

Silver Member
Tractor
L35
Hello, I am in the market for a small TLB that also has a small price tag. (Im the first one Im sure). I found a 1996 L35 with 2345 hours for 16k here in CA. Its the cheapest (and of course the oldest) I have found so far. Can some of ya'll give me your thoughts on this price tag? Looks good in the pictures (I know that pictures dont tell all but it's 6 hours away at a used equipment dealer) and looks to have about 50% left on the tires. Thanks a bunch for your time, Tom

/ L35 Price opinions? #2  
I purchased a new L35 over 11 years ago, and still have it. I paid roughly $30,000 plus tax, which included an extra 12" bucket. It came standard at that time with the 18". Everytime I use it, it still impresses me with the total performance. The only down side, is the front tires, with the outside wheel on a tight turn skids, which creates excessive wear on a hard surface. If you check in the "REVIEW" section at the top of the front page, another owner complained of the tire wear also. If you use a larger radius of turn it's no problem. Reversing the seat can be a (PITA), until you get use to it. The performance of the tractor speaks for itself, and after 11 years, and not a single problem, I will never replace it.

The asking price of $16000 seems like a bargain to me, but I would check the service records, if available, also the pins and bushings on the loader and backhoe. The Kubota engines are "bullet proof", unless fluids/filters haven't been changed, or the engine has been overheated for some reason. They are a popular tractor, and if it has had reasonable care, I would jump on it for that price. I live in Northern Calif. also. If you have any further questions about the tractor, just send me a PM. Good luck!

/ L35 Price opinions? #4  
At 2300 hours, the bushings and pins may be toast. Even with greasing. They are a PITA to change and are expensive too. I would check for cracks in the frames, housings, mounts, hoe and loader. Also look at the condition of the bucket. Suspension may be getting worn too. Check for leaks in the hydraulics and if the pump is putting out enough pressure. Should be 2500 psi.

jb

/ L35 Price opinions?
Ya I know over 2300 hours has me worried. Especially if it spent some time as a rental, I dont know that it did nor that it didnt. I will try to check out all the things you mention. Another thing that worried me is the tractor is listed for $17,900.00 and when I emailed him that I was 6 hours away and asked him to give me his bottom line he soon came back with $16,000.00. So I dont know if he is just being generous with his price drop because he just wants to move tractors or if he wants that peice of junk off his lot asap?? Anyway thanks for the replies so far.

/ L35 Price opinions? #6  
Tom---After reading your bio and previous posts. If you are semi-serious about an L35, you can go to most rental yards in "Kalifornia", and there is a good chance they have Kubotas for rent including the L35's. The reason, and I have asked, "THEY DON'T BREAK," unless extremely abused! I still have my first one, which is a L295DT, which I purchased new nearly 30 years ago, and added a Kubota loader and backhoe to build a new home with many of the problems you are facing. A lot of times, it was "worked hard and put away wet," and has required no wrenching other than fluid changes and minor adjustments. I started out looking at a beat 580 case in 1981 for 10K, but TLC was not part of it life. It looked like it had entered a Destruction Derby, and another 10K to make it reliable! Once the road building, major tasks become history, and you start on your home; a bigger tractor becomes clumsy, and you start looking for something that can get to the job site for the septic systems, under ground utilities, and other projects in confined spaces. I had even looked at trackloaders, before reality contained me! I also like the fact of the ease of transporting the L35 (6000#) on a 10K tandem trailer; it gives you a lot of options. I'm not promoting the L35, but checking with the mechanics at these rental yards on the hard life they suffer; your education will be enhanced for future search for the life expectancy of this class of tractor. Again, good luck on your search!

/ L35 Price opinions?
Thanks for the insight mach, I think I will call this guy tomorrow and see what he has to say about the machine over the phone, if he says he doesnt think I will be extremely disappointed with its condition after driving 6 hours I will probably go buy a trailer and head south.....which brings up another question......any advice on a trailer? Bumper pull or Gooseneck? If I went the cheaper bumper pull route would I need sway bars? I think I would like a dump trailer but I know they are hi $$$ and not sure how the tractor would even fit in one??? Thanks a ton again.....Tom

/ L35 Price opinions? #8  
Tom---If you have the time, even call some of the rental yards for their opinion on any major maintenance problems with the L35 for piece of mind, and ask about any 4X4 problems they have. This tractor was built from the ground up as a tough "smaller industrial tractor", and should have been painted yellow.

For towing, I have only a 16' tandem trailer 10K rated, wish it was at least 18' or greater, but only paid $1500 many years ago! The tow vehicle is my Ford F-350 diesel 4X4 dualie with a fake "jake brake" (exhaust brake). The trailer is a bumper tow, and works well for me. I have towed the tractor many times and have had no problems.

I also would use extreme caution in your purchase, and give the tractor a good exercise for an hour, and make sure everything works including the 4X4. Leaks have never been a problem with any of my four Kubotas, which I purchased new, and still own them all.----LEE

/ L35 Price opinions? #9  
Tom---I solved the problem for moving dirt; look for a good used dump truck. I purchased one when building our home, and it was the best investment I've made, bar none!! It was a former PGE F-350 dump truck that I only paid $4500, and I have carried up to four yards of material on it, and costs less than a dump trailer? I don't have any sway problems either on the trailer.-----LEE

/ L35 Price opinions? #10  
Tom---Another factor about Kubotas, if you follow info about these tractors through researching; Kubota is an inhouse tractor, and every component is manufactured by Kubota to the perfection for longevity. I would not be concerned about the 2345 hrs. on it, if it looks like it had reasonable care. Some times that care is covered up with a cheap coat of new paint! My 295DT has 4000+ hrs and still runs like new, and has never been un-buttoned!
I truly think it will out live me, or as my father said to me about my portable cement mixer, "you will never wear it out; it will wear you out first!"---LEE