L3700 starting problem

/ L3700 starting problem #1  

Recoveryhill

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3700SU
L3700SU. Repairing road after 5” rain yesterday. Shut down to fuel and no restart, acting like dead battery. Ran jumper cables and no go, showing 14volts. Lights work and glow plugs work but turn key to start, a couple of labored revolutions and click.

I have the service manual and will consult tonight. Direct power to dismounted starter motor to check?

I’ll in the NE Caribbean and it looks like our storm season comes early this year. I have 3/4 mile of steep dirt to my house with tractor necessary to preserve access.

Any learned thoughts???

/ L3700 starting problem #2  
Probably cable connections. Unbolt and clean all of the cable connections not just at the battery but at the frame, the starter, etc. Since you had it turn "a few labored revolutions" that means your solenoid is engaging, which is good. COULD be a starter gone bad, but I'd bet it is degraded connections. Clean them ALL up and see.

/ L3700 starting problem #3  
Have you tried cleaning each battery cable at both ends? You may even find one loose.

/ L3700 starting problem
L3700SU. Repairing road after 5” rain yesterday. Shut down to fuel and no restart, acting like dead battery. Ran jumper cables and no go, showing 14volts. Lights work and glow plugs work but turn key to start, a couple of labored revolutions and click.

I have the service manual and will consult tonight. Direct power to dismounted starter motor to check?

I’ll in the NE Caribbean and it looks like our storm season comes early this year. I have 3/4 mile of steep dirt to my house with tractor necessary to preserve access.

Any learned thoughts???
Probably cable connections. Unbolt and clean all of the cable connections not just at the battery but at the frame, the starter, etc. Since you had it turn "a few labored revolutions" that means your solenoid is engaging, which is good. COULD be a starter gone bad, but I'd bet it is degraded connections. Clean them ALL up and see.
Yes thanks. The sudden failure probably indicates such a lack of connection. I will start with ground off of battery and work toward starter. This tractor has been remarkably reliable over the years in a harsh environment.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / L3700 starting problem #6  
I have the same tractor and have had the same problem. Once it was the neutral safety switch under the dashboard.. Then it was the starter itself.. I bought a new starter but haven't installed it yet. When i get the click but no start.. I just tap the starter with a hammer and it fires up again... If I were you Id start with those 2 things. The other thing you can do is rock the forward reverse pedal while trying to start it, to see if that's gummed up

/ L3700 starting problem #7  
I have the same tractor and have had the same problem. Once it was the neutral safety switch under the dashboard.. Then it was the starter itself.. I bought a new starter but haven't installed it yet. When i get the click but no start.. I just tap the starter with a hammer and it fires up again... If I were you Id start with those 2 things. The other thing you can do is rock the forward reverse pedal while trying to start it, to see if that's gummed up
Yes, BUT the OP said that it did " a couple of labored revolutions" when he tried to start it. If it did that , then tapping it with a piece of steel rod or something solid will NOT cause it to crank rapidly. I have a B2150 that I fairly often have to tap the starter with a steel rod or something solid and then it responds to the key with rapid normal cranking. It NEVER turns " a couple of labored revolutions." He has a different problem here and no point speculating until he cleans and retightens ALL the cable connections.

/ L3700 starting problem #8  
Yes, BUT the OP said that it did " a couple of labored revolutions" when he tried to start it. If it did that , then tapping it with a piece of steel rod or something solid will NOT cause it to crank rapidly. I have a B2150 that I fairly often have to tap the starter with a steel rod or something solid and then it responds to the key with rapid normal cranking. It NEVER turns " a couple of labored revolutions." He has a different problem here and no point speculating until he cleans and retightens ALL the cable connections.
Most starter problems are battery cables or solenoid problems.

After than comes the battery, ignition switch, "safety" switches, and starter brushes.

Tapping helps a sticky solenoid or worn starter brushes, but nothing will solve cable problem but some elbow grease.

I had one cable on an old lead/acid wet cell battery that the acid fumes had climbed up from the battery terminal and rotted the cable wires inside the insulation all the way back to about six inches from the battery.
After that experience, all replacement batteries here are AGM types.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / L3700 starting problem

/ L3700 starting problem
Obviously cleaned + & - posts and connectors at the battery first. Negative side is fastened to the belly beside where the battery mounts. The stud goes through the sheet metal layer, then a 1/4” flat bar underside The head inside the battery compartment appears to have had a weld where you might expect a hex head. The stud and threaded nut underneath are just plain frozen. The wire connector is flat on the sheet metal, fairly robust and tight tight against the metal. It is impossible to rotate it with a small chisel, that tight.

Positive lead goes past a couple of relays in the same compartment and on to the Starter. It connects to the starter post with a hex nut that refuses to loosen. The cable assembly rotates either direction one forces the nut and the nut is tight. There is zero sign of corrosion there either. From the hot lead at that point wire continues on to the operator station face and up into the panel. There is a fuse panel in that area.

Even when it tried to turn over, it did so only if the clutch pedal was depressed activating the safety switch, so that’s working. Before I go into the panel I’ve decided to put a new battery on the machine. It started fine the morning of the failure and then just went dead when shut down for fuel. I’m handicapped with lack of electrical expertise, the Relays I assume are either all in or out. I can pull clean and replace all the small fuses and will do so anyway. If the battery doesn’t help I will drill a new hole and move the ground connection to a new stud.

The good news is no rain since the torrential downpour Friday afternoon. I did get a bit done on the road before I stopped to refuel so it‘s not good but passable.